Development List For Buildings In Houston

houstonsemipro

ALLEN PARKWAY VILLAGE

The redevelopment of Allen Parkway Village involved the partial razing of an historic but troubled housing project within sight of Downtown Houston. Sixteen of the existing apartment buildings were retained as was the Community Center and the Administration Building. The existing three story apartment buildings will be converted into housing for the elderly while the remaining two-story buildings will be renovated to house families. In the balance of the site, new Rowhouse and Garden type apartments will be built. At the east end of the site a public park will be created for the enjoyment of all and to serve as a buffer from the adjacent elevated expressway. When completed, five hundred new and renovated apartment units will be made available to lower income families on a site that had laid fallow for twenty years.

page_26_0001.jpg

page_26_0002.jpg

page_26_0003.jpg

KNIGHTS LANDING

This comprehensive renovation of a deteriorated 570 unit apartment complex is located near the medical center in Houston, Texas. The garden type apartment project was originally a progressive and dynamic residential complex that decayed due to hard economic times and maintenance neglect. The apartment building

This would be a renovation of the existing Wortham Theater on the UH campus (main campus). The renovations are part of last year's $20 million gift from George and Cynthia Woods Mitchell, which created the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts at UH.

UH has several other projects under construction right now as well...

-The new parking garage, which will feature retail and administrative space on the ground floor

-Completing the $49 million MD Anderson library expansion (which doubled the size of the existing library)

-New $81 million Science and Engineering Bldg

• 6 years later...

There is a map in the Central Houston office that looks like it's tracking new developments. Anyone see anything interesting? I believe Central Houston is private, so we can't simply walk in there and look at it.

It looks like the orange spots are of new or recently new deveopments. One orange spot I see is just south of Minute Maid Park, anyone know what that might be?

centralhoustonlauraangiebob.jpg

http://www.bisnow.co...ory.php?p=16165

Edited by lockmat

If you're referring to the TINY spot between the GRB and minute maid, I wouldn't have the slightest clue.

My only guess is that it might be a parking garage, and that's because there is the GRB ramp and a slice of that land is going to be munched on by the light rail.

Currently it's just a surface lot/staging area for the GRB. in fact, that's where they land the helicopters when the convention comes to town.

If you're referring to the TINY spot between the GRB and minute maid, I wouldn't have the slightest clue.

My only guess is that it might be a parking garage, and that's because there is the GRB ramp and a slice of that land is going to be munched on by the light rail.

Currently it's just a surface lot/staging area for the GRB. in fact, that's where they land the helicopters when the convention comes to town.

You're close but I think we're talking about two different plots. I zoomed in on the map and I'm pretty sure it's highlight this plot: http://maps.google.c...&gl=us&t=h&z=20

Also here is a list of Central Houston's planned or anticipated downtown or downtown-adjacent projects: http://www.centralho...andDevelopment/

And some that I found interesting:

- Development – Regional Tourism Center | Reconfigure Avenida de las Americas. Support role to the City of Houston for a reconfigured block between GRB Convention Center and Minute Maid Park, to house a Regional Tourism Center including relocation of the two historic houses. North- & south-bound lanes to be reduced from four- to two-lanes at 600 block of AdlA, with 700 block used for lane transitions. (Could this be the project that we are speaking of Ricco?)

- Downtown High School. Participate in confidential negotiations with HISD Trustees and Administration to identify downtown site for HSPVA.

- Master Planning – Mixed-use Retail Core Area. Project in the first half of 2011 to develop conceptual design to re-vitalize downtown’s Shopping District.

- Master Planning – Downtown | East Downtown Livable Centers. Work with numerous entities and the design consultancy team for a nine-month master planning transit-oriented development project of 168-block area bounded by Preston, St. Charles, Pease and Austin. Coordinate multiple projects and consultants within study area.

Edited by lockmat

- Development – Regional Tourism Center | Reconfigure Avenida de las Americas. Support role to the City of Houston for a reconfigured block between GRB Convention Center and Minute Maid Park, to house a Regional Tourism Center including relocation of the two historic houses. North- & south-bound lanes to be reduced from four- to two-lanes at 600 block of AdlA, with 700 block used for lane transitions. (Could this be the project that we are speaking of Ricco?)

Good eye!

I think that's what we're seeing.

This would be a MUCH better location for that department, but I will hold judgement on what the new street layout would be.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It is a bit off topic, but I was wondering about #4 on that map... not sure I can recall any proposals regarding a tower near Market Square. Anyone have any insight or a refresher if it's been covered on HAIF?

It seems as if that lot fronting Market Square would be pefect for a residential development with retail facing the square but then I remebered this is Houston, so we'll most likely get a lifeless pedestal office tower in what could be a very urban part of downtown.

Edited by shasta
  • Like 1

It seems as if that lot fronting Market Square would be pefect for a residential development with retail facing the square but then I remebered this is Houston, so we'll most likely get a lifeless pedestal office tower in what could be a very urban part of downtown.

I don't think anyone would complain about the proposed office tower if it was built as designed.

• Like 1