STØR Furnishings International At 7810 Katy Fwy.

Googie

I hope someone can answer this question for me.......

What was the name of the furniture store on or near the same site that the Ikea Store on Katy Freeway between Antoine and Silber is now?  It had and unusual name and neither me or my wife can remember. I have even asked people in the neighborhood behind it and nobody can remember it either....   we bought a lamp there back in the early 80's.  Someone help this is driving us NUTS !!!! 

• Like 1

I hope someone can answer this question for me.......

What was the name of the furniture store on or near the same site that the Ikea Store on Katy Freeway between Antoine and Silber is now?  It had and unusual name and neither me or my wife can remember. I have even asked people in the neighborhood behind it and nobody can remember it either....   we bought a lamp there back in the early 80's.  Someone help this is driving us NUTS !!!! 

It was STØR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ST%C3%98R

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This may not be as old as some of the other buildings/businesses, but I'm still curious.

STØR Furnishings International Inc. was an American furniture chain based in City of Industry, CA, that opened in 1987. It sold European-style furniture and ready-to-assemble furnishings. IKEA filed a lawsuit against the company shortly after opening, claiming copyright infringement, and was settled in 1988 with STØR being forced to change the layout of their stores and advertising. STØR was acquired by IKEA in 1992.

The Houston STØR location was a franchised location. When the brand was purchased by IKEA, this store continued operating under the same franchise agreement, becoming one of only a few independently franchised IKEA locations in the world.

Does anyone have any memories or photos of it? Where was it located?

OK, GreenMaine...found the answer...but you owe me a favor.  ;)

It's Stor no more

Houston Chronicle - Thursday, JUNE 4, 1992

Readability: 9-12 grade level (Lexile: 1110L)

Author: Staff

After opening last year with great fanfare, Stor 's sign came down Wednesday. John Martin of ESD-Graffix, lowers the final letter of the sign with Tommy Greenan. The home furnishings chain was sold in February to Ikea , a Swedish company with home furnishing stores in 25 countries. Ikea gutted the building and plans to open its store there July 15, said company spokeswoman Pamela Diaconis.

Caption: Photo: After opening last year with great fanfare, Stor 's sign came down Wednesday. John Martin of ESD-Graffix, lowers the final letter of the sign with Tommy Greenan. The home furnishings chain was sold in February to Ikea , a Swedish company with home furnishing stores in 25 countries. Ikea gutted the building and plans to open its store there July 15, said company spokeswoman Pamela Diaconis Betty Tichich/Chronicle

• The title was changed to Ikea Before Ikea?
  • The title was changed to STØR Furnishings International At 7810 Katy Fwy.