Improvements On Main Street

WestGrayGuy

On 5/2/2024 at 9:57 AM, hbg.50 said:

Actually, this belongs here…

“The Main Street Promenade is a transformative project defining the next chapter of Main Street and Downtown,” Mayor John Whitmire said in the release. “I am excited about the City's future, including downtown, where we are designing a destination that attracts more people to work, live and play.”

The board of the Downtown Redevelopment Authority, a Downtown Houston+ affiliate, on April 9 approved a contract with engineering firm Walter P Mooreand its subconsultants for the project, the release says. The design and engineering phase follows the basis of design, which zeroes in on the themes of safety, accessibility and placemaking. 

Design recommendations include lighting improvements, maintenance of stormwater drainage capacity, everyday access for business operations, and wayfinding signage, the release says.

The most noticeable change will be elevating the street level so that it is even with the sidewalk, Larson said.

“That's going to create one uniform plane for people to be able to experience,” he said. “Then we're going to be working with the adjacent property owners and business owners to create more of a uniform experience.” 

This project fits into Downtown Houston’s “diversification journey,” which aims to bring people downtown for more reasons than just to work in office buildings.

The Central Business District still faces one of the highest office vacancies in Houston. Its total availability was 34.1% in the first quarter, well above Houston’s overall availability of 29.7%, according to Avison Young. 

Property owners are excited about the Main Street 2.0 project, and it could spur more business and leasing activity, Larson said.

“They look at this as a competitive positioning piece and how that helps them compete for tenants and ultimately be a place where people want to be, how that helps to really improve their ability to lease out their properties,” he said. 

The project is about a year from breaking ground, Larson said. Downtown Houston+ hopes it will be finished in time for the 2026 men’s FIFA World Cup matches in Houston

I was honestly so relieved when I got to the end of that and still hadn't seen anything about Whitmire cancelling the project. So glad he sees the value in it. Hopefully he can find his way to valuing other "main" streets the same way and giving them the same treatment. 

3 hours ago, Sunstar said:

Looks like we might get an interesting plaza area at the foot of Main Street 

Plus a small park emerging from the Sunset building up to the courthouse, if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, 004n063 said:

I was honestly so relieved when I got to the end of that and still hadn't seen anything about Whitmire cancelling the project. So glad he sees the value in it. Hopefully he can find his way to valuing other "main" streets the same way and giving them the same treatment. 

Plus a small park emerging from the Sunset building up to the courthouse, if I'm not mistaken.

He see's the value because his buddy got the bid for the project. I don't understand how he doesn't view Shepherd/Durham as a vital project though. It will connect to the MKT trail and create a loop of pedestrian activity. He spoke recently that the roadway needed to be 4 lanes for commuters driving in to the city, but even TxDOT signed off on the redesign because they already know traffic flow will be fine with 3 lanes. 

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

DowntownHouston+ and DesignWorkshop held two community feedback workshops regarding the MainStreet 2.0 project today. It seems the planning for this is still moving along, and they are taking and implementing feedback/ideas.

There will be another public event like the last two held in front of Little Dipper at The Flying Saucer on June 27th, 4-7 pm.

PXL_20240611_180803499.jpg

PXL_20240611_181001924.jpg

PXL_20240611_181051808.MP.jpg

PXL_20240611_181055815.MP.jpg

PXL_20240611_181058500.jpg

PXL_20240611_193042838.jpg

PXL_20240611_193141275.jpg

PXL_20240611_193146581.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Downtown Houston+ is leading the Main Street Promenade project, which is the design and engineering phase of More Space: Main Street 2.0. We are hosting and invite you to attend public Workshop #3 to share how the design is coming together and ensure the new Main Street experience reflects you, your community, and your vision. For more information on the project, visit our website.

Join us anytime from 4-7pm on Thursday, June 27th at Flying Saucer. The open house workshop will give you opportunities to gain insight and share your valuable perspective on the evolving plans, sketches, and ideas. From here, the Consultant team will be refining ideas to arrive at the final plan this fall!

All are invited to attend; feel free to circulate this invitation within your network. Follow the link to register for this event.

6Y6p1kH.png

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Project on schedule!  Excerpt from email this week…

For those who missed it, we had an incredible third workshop for the Main Street Promenade at the end of June! 250 people came out to share their enthusiasm, ideas, and support for the developing design of the project. We have some great photos and key takeaways from the event, which you can see in the Summary attached. 

Many thanks to those of you who shared with your networks or attended—your support is critical for this project moving forward. From here the project team will be developing the design in detail, looking to finalize the plans this fall and move into construction in 2025. We are still on track for a public opening in 2026 for the World Cup! 

We want to ensure that the design continues to match your vision, so we’d like to invite you to the following events over the coming months. Please share these details with your community—the more perspectives that are shared only make a more successful project for us all.

• Focus Groups #2 on August 15

• Public Workshop #4 in October—invite to follow
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, hbg.50 said:

Project on schedule!  Excerpt from email this week…

For those who missed it, we had an incredible third workshop for the Main Street Promenade at the end of June! 250 people came out to share their enthusiasm, ideas, and support for the developing design of the project. We have some great photos and key takeaways from the event, which you can see in the Summary attached. 

Many thanks to those of you who shared with your networks or attended—your support is critical for this project moving forward. From here the project team will be developing the design in detail, looking to finalize the plans this fall and move into construction in 2025. We are still on track for a public opening in 2026 for the World Cup! 

We want to ensure that the design continues to match your vision, so we’d like to invite you to the following events over the coming months. Please share these details with your community—the more perspectives that are shared only make a more successful project for us all.

• Focus Groups #2 on August 15

• Public Workshop #4 in October—invite to follow

Any discussion of the charging station?

I went to the Stros game yesterday and I won't say downtown was just a disaster but I was a bit disappointed in the overall cleanliness. I know we've been through a lot the past couple of weeks but idk maybe I'm just being hypercritical but some areas need some serious TLC. 

• Like 1