Hyatt Place Hotel At 1114 Texas St.

pineda

Houston has turned the corner in repurposing of old buildings downtown.

Here is a list of the hotels just open or in the process of becoming hotels, or residences

J.W. Marriot

Holiday Inn

Aloft

Le Meridien

Hyatt Place

Texaco residence

proposed Southwest Life building

and a couple of others I can't recall the names.

One is now a residential tower across from the Texaco Bldg.

We aren't saving everything but it is a substantial number and is surely a step in the right direction

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

I think these older buildings are sexy. 

I love the idea of retaining some brick downtown

Same. Just hope some of the original HAIF members who fantasized about this sort of thing see the news, since they aren't here anymore. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/06/08/70-year-old-office-building-to-be-transformed-into.html

Add another historic hotel renovation to downtown Houston's portfolio.

The 16-story office building at 1114 Texas St. will be redeveloped into a Hyatt Place hotel, Rahul Bijlani, senior vice president of CBRE Hotels, confirmed to the Houston Business Journal. Bijlani's client, Nick Patel of Pride Management Inc., owns the property and will lead the redevelopment, he said. Patel declined to comment for the story.

The 154-room hotel will open in December 2018, Bijlani said. The redevelopment will cost $14 million, according to a building permit filed with the city of Houston.

The 115,360-square-foot building at 1114 Texas was built in 1948, per public records, and was last valued at $1.9 million as of Jan. 1.

• Like 6

Yeah there's almost no access to this building.  Even if all they're doing is internal rennovations, if Savoy -> Holiday Inn is any guide they'll need somewhere for a dumpster at the bear minimum - and I don't see a place for them to put it.  Maybe they can get one down the back alley from Capitol st

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Yeah there's almost no access to this building.  Even if all they're doing is internal rennovations, if Savoy -> Holiday Inn is any guide they'll need somewhere for a dumpster at the bear minimum - and I don't see a place for them to put it.  Maybe they can get one down the back alley from Capitol st

Wouldn't it make more sense to go in the alley from Texas?

• Like 1

I've seen a car parked in the capitol alley way.  I think they left through the sun roof though.

I just looked at the street view and the Texas end is a little bit bigger than I remembered.  Probably big enough to squeeze a dumpster into it

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7591544,-95.3612761,3a,75y,206.94h,121.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szU1hbvDqk2b2hNFbdrw9lg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nate99 said:

Cool. I'm interested to see how they manage the construction. This thing has about 30 feet of access in front before they block the Magnolia or the lofts on the other side.

The 1114 Texas building is 47' 6" wide.

And the alley is 10' 10" wide.

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Commissions/docs_pdfs/hahc/App_Materials_2017/March_MATERIALS/1114_Texas_Alt_Windows_APP_Materials.pdf

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:30 PM, Houston19514 said:

Only off by a third.

I thought the Magnolia parked its dumpsters in that alley, but I could be off on that too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Still nothing. 

EDIT:

3 hour later update - some dudes with clipboards and a measuring wheel were walking around from the alley and in to the front door when I just walked by.

I know, riveting stuff, but it's more than the nothing I reported earlier...

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 4