Austin City Hall

WestGrayGuy

As Margo Channing said, icily, in All About Eve:"I'm so happy you're happy."

The Rice Design Alliance feels that this building is important enough to include it on their Art Deco Tour of downtown Houston.

I do hope RDA meets with your approval...  <_<

a local entity supporting another local on a restricted topic (art deco as opposed to any broader term of art) . . .not much to approve of there. B)

• 9 months later...

I honestly agree with most of the people on this thread, I am from Austin was born here and have lived all my life here but I am discusted at what the city has decided on building. I have some pictures from back in the mid 80s of what the City hall could have been like but I honestly dont know how to post pictures could soembody please help me. The pictures are not off a website so Im not sure how to post a picture directly onto here from my computer.

I honestly agree with most of the people on this thread, I am from Austin was born here and have lived all my life here but I am discusted at what the city has decided on building.  I have some pictures from back in the mid 80s of what the City hall could have been like but I honestly dont know how to post pictures could soembody please help me.  The pictures are not off a website so Im not sure how to post a picture directly onto here from my computer.

If they are on your PC just go to a site like www.photobucket.com and create an account. Then you can upload the pics and copy the image tag and link from there and paste it here.

Edited by YakuzaIce

I dissagree, I do not think that design is bland at all. And for somebody who was born in Austin and who has lived here all my life, I think that the 80's design would have defintaly fit the city's charm quite nicely. I just think the city hall that we have now is really unimpressive. Its too flat its too low its too brown.

This is an architecture forum. I would think we'd be the ones that would appreciate quality/exciting/fresh new structures. Frankly, I think the Austin City Hall is beautiful and reflects the city and it's quirky charm. This 80's design is bland-o-rama!

I agree with you. That proposal has no identity whatsoever.

• 3 weeks later...

It's the stinger, not a tail. It's actually a cover over the balcony just under it. It's cool and out of the ordinary. Say what you want, but it's a great building. It's very striking and functional. Especially with the heights restriction because of CSC. I would have loved something taller, but it just wasn't possible. Just my opinion...I suspect that if this building had been built in Houston a lot of opinions would be different.

• The title was changed to Austin City Hall