General Transportation News

11 minutes ago, HouTXRanger said:

It looks like the post I wrote was lost to the ether . . . to summarize, losing Fields is a tragedy for the city. A few years ago, when he first started, I was fortunate enough to speak/work with him a little, and I was impressed with his attitude regarding the city and its potential. He went out of his way to make projects work (like attending an opposition meeting for 11th street to answer questions and talk with concerned residents) and I respected his decision to take his career (multi-modal planning) to a challenging place (a sunbelt metropolis). It will be difficult to find a replacement that has his attitude and outlook, if Whitmire plans to get a replacement at all, which I doubt considering how he's conducted his office so far. Very disappointed that my hometown seems to be taking ten steps back.

I think what hurt David and Veronica was the fact they didn't properly consult first responders when designing some of the safety improvements. Much of the communication was to those who had no say on the design or engineering. So Whitmire is getting rid of anything he deems to be "special interest" or "agenda" based. I hate losing both of those talented individuals. If we had Turner 4 more years, so much would have been accomplished. Now every bikeway project including Montrose Boulevard are under attack EVEN the new Metro transit lines.

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

Just wanted to pass along some info I received. The budget proposal from Whitmire has the Planning & Development Dept receiving the largest cut of any dept up 31%. It will make it the lowest planning budget of any major metro in the country. I don’t see us making any big dents in infrastructure any time soon. 

Edited by j_cuevas713

5 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Just wanted to pass along some info I received. The budget proposal from Whitmire has the Planning & Development Dept receiving the largest cut of any dept up 31%. It will make it the lowest planning budget of any major metro in the country. I don’t see us making any big dents in infrastructure any time soon. 

Here is a link to The Chronicle article…

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/houston/article/mayor-john-whitmire-city-council-budget-cuts-19468797.php

The reduced funding, however, should not significantly impact core department services. The decrease is due to the end of several one-time funding sources that supported projects including the expansion of Houston’s bike share program and a tracker for historic preservation applications, according to Ostlind. It is also because of the elimination of an internal accounting practice that previously transferred money between the general fund and the special revenue fund based on staffing needs.”

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • The topic was unpinned
8 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Please stop spreading your political hate through the entire forum.

There were parts of that comment that have no place here, I absolutely agree.

But like it or not, this forum is inexorably political. Everything that gets built and much of what doesn't get built in this city is a product of some political process or another. That's only more true for all things transportation.

If that makes Whitmire supporters feel ostracized, that's unfortunate, especially if those supporters are important contributors to this community. But please try to understand that the angry words you see are ultimately a frustratedly impotent reaction to a spate of mayoral actions that many of us feel - and have publicly voiced, to no avail - comprise a casual dismissal of our physical safety, to say nothing of our commute times, which are far more impacted by infrastructure decisions than drivers' are.

I'm all for pushing back against vitriol and personal attacks, even against the mayor himself. And there's certainly no need to throw various other groups of people into the fray by way of attempted insult.

But please, please - let's not depoliticize this space.

Edited by 004n063
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

hrm, shouldn't the mayor be diverting the funds for this to underserved neighborhoods?

didn't he say something about not installing 10' sidewalks when some areas don't even have sidewalks?

shouldn't the same logic play here, not installing HAWK crosswalks when some areas (especially areas with higher pedestrian numbers) don't even have crosswalks?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, samagon said:

hrm, shouldn't the mayor be diverting the funds for this to underserved neighborhoods?

didn't he say something about not installing 10' sidewalks when some areas don't even have sidewalks?

shouldn't the same logic play here, not installing HAWK crosswalks when some areas (especially areas with higher pedestrian numbers) don't even have crosswalks?

The mayor said we can't have painted bus lanes downtown because they cost the same as repainting all the streets in downtown. Yet that repainting job hasn't happened. 

The mayor said people can't have express transit because they don't have regular transit. Yet that regular transit hasn't happened. 

There seems to be a pattern here. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, editor said:

The mayor said we can't have painted bus lanes downtown because they cost the same as repainting all the streets in downtown. Yet that repainting job hasn't happened. 

The mayor said people can't have express transit because they don't have regular transit. Yet that regular transit hasn't happened. 

There seems to be a pattern here. 

"People can't rely on government services"

-People making sure they can't, since forever

• Like 4