Montrose TIRZ

trymahjong

Sooooooo how much Mayoral  stomping on Montrose will we have to endure?

4 TIRZ members tossed?

mayor demands TIRZ pay for old library renovation— but it’s not in their zone?

asbestos found  in current Library but he wants to encourage kids to keep coming?

an s finally he trash talked Sean Bermudez Burger Joint place as not being fit to be next door to new library?

I am heart sick

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

16 hours ago, trymahjong said:

an s finally he trash talked Sean Bermudez Burger Joint place as not being fit to be next door to new library?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was more South Beach and JR's (the nearby lgbt establishments) that the mayor was referring to as a poor fit.....

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, j.33 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was more South Beach and JR's (the nearby lgbt establishments) that the mayor was referring to as a poor fit.....

That is much worse as it is a dog whistle for right wingers who think the Montrose library will be a hub for LGBTQ debauchery and corruption of little children with drag queen story time and books that teach kids to understand differences in sexuality and gender.  

Everything Whitmire does has echoes of some pretty hard right wing stuff.  His war on pedestrian improvements has roots in right wing freakouts over 15 minute cities.  And I think Whitmire thinks that his sound majority over SJL is a rejection of Mayor Turner's tenure.  Like there is a transitive property for black politicians and a vote for Whitmire over SJL was really a vote against Mayor Turner.  

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

I disagree about what the Mayor was referring to: a hamburger joint among adult entertainment establishments—

He was referring to The Burger Joint!  Why am I convinced? It seems unlikely The Mayor has ever strolled the streets of Avondale— he seems to have a firm false memory of Montrose in the 70’s- He never does his own investigations but relies on 2nd and 3 hand observations of philistines.

He never once voiced any approval of Montrose Walkability or the top rated restaurants that were located there.

geez —- I only wish the owners of Grafitti Raw, Marmo and Mi Luna would give him the blow back he deserves.

• Like 5

Montrose TIRZ June 17 Board Meeting Postponed

Greetings,

Due to anticipated changes in the Montrose TIRZ Board of Directors appointments, the June 17th Board Meeting has been postponed to a later date. We understand the importance of this meeting and are actively working to secure a new date and time. An email announcement will be distributed once meeting details are confirmed. Additionally, please continue monitoring our website for updates regarding the rescheduled meeting: https://montrosehtx.org/meetings/. We sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding during this transitional period.

• Like 1

District c councilwoman was not given a list of the replacement before being named by Mayor- would that he would extend her the courtesy……?

still one wonders how any replacements board members will be able to find a legal way to use Montrose TIRZ monies to pay for a Midtown TIRZ library repairs.

one wonders what does the Mayor’s plan for transparency entail?

• Like 5

22 hours ago, trymahjong said:

one wonders what does the Mayor’s plan for transparency entail?

Terrorist might target the library so everything will be done behind closed doors.

• Like 1

I don’t hang onto every word spoken at the City Council meetings…….mainly try to get the gist of the meeting….never really anything worthy enough to try and find a way to go and replay the whole thing…..

but it seemed (IMO) like yesterday, the Mayor went after the former Montrose board member ( retired Priest) and alluded to board members individual corruption. Where did that come from? What is the Mayor trying to tell us? Who is giving the Mayor that kind of information? I have never heard even a rumor of bribe taking.  That particular board member was appointed  when TIRZ was established- that was two administrations ago.  She was particularly a staunch advocate to find reasonable housing alternatives to accommodate people who work at lowest paying jobs in Montrose— and not build those alternatives outside the boundaries of The TIRZ as Midtown does.

What is going on?

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

All of Mayor Whitmires comments are sort of becoming a worm thingy in my head but it has lead me to ask…..

Mayor Whitmire uses his kazillion years in the Texas legislature as a huge flag to denote his experience that makes him a champion of all things……

Did Whitmire support establishing TIRZ when it was first being established?

Did he support management districts? 

what did he actually DO while he was in the senate? He brags that he has always been an advocate of the LGBTQ community…………was he really?

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, trymahjong said:

All of Mayor Whitmires comments are sort of becoming a worm thingy in my head but it has lead me to ask…..

Mayor Whitmire uses his kazillion years in the Texas legislature as a huge flag to denote his experience that makes him a champion of all things……

Did Whitmire support establishing TIRZ when it was first being established?

Did he support management districts? 

what did he actually DO while he was in the senate? He brags that he has always been an advocate of the LGBTQ community…………was he really?

10 seconds of Googling brought up this:

https://www.equalitytexas.org/top-5-texas-senators-on-lgbt-issues/. #5 (tie) John Whitmire
Whitmire is the Dean of the Texas Senate, having served longer than any other member of his chamber. He’s also the only committee chair on this list. Committee chairs have a lot of power to move or stop legislation and Whitmire wielded that position of influence like a sword of righteous truth this session. He’s the author of SB 492, the Senate version of the Romeo and Juliet equalization bill that Rep. Mary González so deftly steered to the House floor. Whitmire’s been in the legislature for 42 years and is still going strong. He’s exactly the type of elected official the LGBT community needs on our side.

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

10 seconds of Googling brought up this:

Whitmire’s been in the legislature for 42 years and is still going strong. He’s exactly the type of elected official the LGBT community needs on our side.

I guess I am surprised and……puzzled. The LGBT caucus met this past week and voted to write a letter of “ dismay” concerning the Freed Library— pointedly the words he used about where the proposed library was to be placed.

• Like 3

The big picture I get from Whitmire's flailing around the Heights and Montrose is that it is an attempt to take back the Harris County and Houston Democrats from the progressive wing that has backed Lina Hidalgo, Sylvester Turner, anyone who is not Kim Ogg, Abbie Kamin and a bunch of progressive judges.  That is why Anise Parker is already lining up to either run against Hidalgo or take her seat if Hidalgo decides not to run for reelection.  The moves against the TIRZ mostly are hitting Abbie Kamin's district.  She is one of the most progressive members of city council.  

When Whitmire tried to take on big pedestrian and make the streets safe again for Land Rovers, the backlash from the Heights was pretty stout and Kamin did a good job standing up to Whitmire.  So, he is back at it in Montrose trying to make up for the swing and a miss on the bike lanes.  

This is a bit reminiscent of Bill White.  He was very autocratic as mayor (and ironically clashed with Whitmire on SafeClear).  But White was good at putting on his huckleberry hound routine and got the public behind him thinking he was just a regular guy trying to get things done.  Whitmire is getting dragged in public opinion because he just goes around telling everyone that he has been here longer and gets to tell everyone what they want.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, s3mh said:

The big picture I get from Whitmire's flailing around the Heights and Montrose is that it is an attempt to take back the Harris County and Houston Democrats from the progressive wing that has backed Lina Hidalgo, Sylvester Turner, anyone who is not Kim Ogg, Abbie Kamin and a bunch of progressive judges.

Agree but I don't see why you would include Kim Ogg on this list--she has vocally not been aligned with Hidalgo or Turner, as recent news has indicated, nor the "agenda" of the "progressive judges."

19 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

He’s exactly the type of elected official the LGBT community needs on our side.

Assuming the use of "our" means you're a member of the LGBT community, you really took no offense to Whitmire's statement about a library located in the Montrose Collective being located near bars and "adult entertainment" establishments?  Even if you didn't take personal offense, surely you can understand how others would.  (If "our" is instead used to mean Houstonian, or Houston-area resident, I'd say the statement is a bit empty.) 

(Another "10 seconds of Googling," BTW, would provide a reminder that the Houston LGBTQ+ Political Caucus endorsed Sheila Jackson lee over Whitmire, so they would take issue with your statement, or at least the use of the word "exactly."  Except the Log Cabin-ers, I suppose, but they seem to have a thing for being punished.)

17 hours ago, trymahjong said:

I guess I am surprised and……puzzled. The LGBT caucus met this past week and voted to write a letter of “ dismay” concerning the Freed Library— pointedly the words he used about where the proposed library was to be placed.

And rightfully so.  Maybe the "adult entertainment establishments" was another Alex Mealer-provided talking point 🤣

Posted (edited)

I also found the Mayor’s wording over where the Library is located hurtful.

Avondale is not the same as it was in the 70’s. No one needs to be afraid to walk our neighborhood. It’s a regular place— diverse, quirky, not  absolutely perfect— just liveable. My grandchildren and I walk all over, we use some of the bars parking lots to practice bicycling without training wheels, on early Sunday mornings.

Does the Mayor understand, that the Library hosts craft activities for children on 2 nd floor of The Collective monthly— yes the same vicinity that can view that hamburger establishment many of the businesses there. I haven’t heard any complaints made public  about that. So am I to believe, the Mayor thinks that reading in the Vicinity is the thing to be feared? You can do crafts here but 5 to read you need to go back to the Freed building? 

Edited by trymahjong

• 1 month later...

At The meeting last night, newly appointed Board members were introduced. Lots of residents showed up to speak

a few requested the TIRZ not become a rubber stamp nor a piggy bank,for Mayor Whitmire..

several reported first hand knowledge of walking the sidewalks in July,  along Montrose Blvd as part of the AARP evaluation/data gathering.

. The Montrose Blvd improvement was brought up— same old yadayada about very little if any flooding in Montrose,  planting puny trees will never get a nice tree canopy - no matter how many years go by, absolutely no 10 foot shared bike/ pedestrian  sidewalk(.only 6 feet period) same…..same….same

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, trymahjong said:

At The meeting last night, newly appointed Board members were introduced. Lots of residents showed up to speak

a few requested the TIRZ not become a rubber stamp nor a piggy bank,for Mayor Whitmire..

several reported first hand knowledge of walking the sidewalks in July,  along Montrose Blvd as part of the AARP evaluation/data gathering.

. The Montrose Blvd improvement was brought up— same old yadayada about very little if any flooding in Montrose,  planting puny trees will never get a nice tree canopy - no matter how many years go by, absolutely no 10 foot shared bike/ pedestrian  sidewalk(.only 6 feet period) same…..same….same

Blurb in The Chronicle…

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/environment/article/montrose-boulevard-tirz-trees-flood-whitmire-19589548.php

Four new Montrose TIRZ members installed by Mayor John Whitmire faced a barrage of heated feedback on the stalled Montrose Boulevard redesign project in their first-ever meeting Monday night. 

Both groups came out in force Monday night for the first meeting of the neighborhood's TIRZ — or Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone — led by Matthew Brollier, the chair appointed by Whitmire to replace former leader Joe Webb. While the previous city administration seemed poised to give final approvals to the project, whose first section plan has been ready to break ground for several months, Whitmire has vocally questioned some elements of the plan developed under Webb's leadership. 

Ultimately the next steps for the project depend on Whitmire, not on his new board.

"Until we get direction from the city, we're on pause," said Muhammad Ali of Gauge Engineering, a group hired to work on the roadway.

Ali explained that while the TIRZ solicited the redesign plans and secured bond funding to cover them, all of the work is in the city's right-of-way and requires the mayor's approval.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I’m not sure [ both groups came out in force] it seems majority ( 60-40% maybe 75-25%) spoke for the proposal.

There was also a huge amount of talk about c….compromise……..mostly about Montrose TIRZ doing the compromising. The treelove people- never spoke about allowing one tree to be cut down; ditto the 10’ shared bike/walk sidewalk…..none seemed to care about safety for bicycles wanting to use Montrose Blvd. Sure some of them are former big bike users- but really each thought sharing 6’ wide sidewalk with walkers, strollers, wheelchairs and other bicyclists seemed AOK as long as no tree was cut down— not ever sick trees……………sigh

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Big crowd at meeting……same sorta yadayada back and forth about the Montrose Blvd drainage- still seems like 75% for shared 10’ shared modality lane, narrowed traffic lanes to slow traffic down and 3 to 1 replanting of 150 gallon new trees. I won say it was a yawn hearing the remaining 25% went back over =>  that the ancient storm drains did their job of funneling water, “ponding” water isn’t same as “flood” water, “beat up” 60 year old trees are better than newly planted sticks, 12’ traffic lane saves side view mirrors and 6’ sidewalks are MORE than adequate!
However,

at the end of the meeting  Mohammed Ali, stated that any new installed  sidewalk over 4 foot wide would necessitate  the cutting of  adjacent trees ….…the whole audience sat straight up….you could have heard a pin drop.

• Like 4