WestGrayGuy

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I am stubborn and tried to find Hidalgo Park by myself about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Turned the wrong way on Avenue Q.. got frustrated and started to believe there was no such thing as Hidalgo Park! FINALLY found some water, but if THIS was Hidalgo Park, not very impressed.

moreBuffaloBayou004.jpg

moreBuffaloBayou006.jpg

moreBuffaloBayou007.jpg

moreBuffaloBayou010.jpg

But.. came back to this hood and found real Hidalgo Park!!

• Like 1

Last weekend.. visited Hidalgo Park some (it was very packed) and got to see the fabulous view of Buffalo Bayou. Loved it!!!

BuffaloBayouandmore006.jpg

BuffaloBayouandmore007.jpg

BuffaloBayouandmore008.jpg

BuffaloBayouandmore009.jpg

BuffaloBayouandmore012.jpg

• Like 1

Guest danax

4vnht2h.gif

I want to check this place out. Where is it located?

It's like Ave R, I think, east of Wayside. On the map above, Hidalgo Park is that little green area by the bayou below Clinton.

Terrbo, you've captured the focal point for one of the East End areas with the most potential. Even if the Buffalo Bayou Master Plan never materializes fully, I believe eventually the same residential and retail developments will sprout along the bayou by themselves. There's just too much magnetism to such a large body of water within close proximity to DT.

Yes, Virginia, Houston has a river, but it really begins east of Allen's Landing.

Anyone know what that pavillion is, where the boat is parked on the other side of the railroad trestle?

It's where you get on the boat for the channel tour

http://www.portofhouston.com/samhou/samhou.html

Embarking from the port's Sam Houston Pavilion, visiting sightseers can enjoy passing views of international cargo vessels, and operations at the port's Turning Basin Terminal.

samhopav.jpg

OK, I am stubborn and tried to find Hidalgo Park by myself about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Turned the wrong way on Avenue Q.. got frustrated and started to believe there was no such thing as Hidalgo Park! FINALLY found some water, but if THIS was Hidalgo Park, not very impressed.

Yeah, this isn't Hidalgo Park. You were standing underneath Wayside, across from a wastewater treatment plant. Specifically, this is where they discharge treated effluent.

Hidalgo Park looks like...a park. Complete with a gazebo, ball fields, etc., with a picturesque tree-lined bayou right across from it. You'll know it when you see it.

• 9 months later...
Neat tour. I've been interested in doing one of the canoe trips along the bayou for some time. Curious as to what it was like in terms of length of time and rental costs...

From 610&Woodway to downtown takes around 4 hours. The first half of that is Memorial Park on the left and River Oaks on the right. You'd never think you were in a city. It's great. I've rented canoes for around $50 a day. It's a good time.

Good stuff! Thanks for posting them. What part of the bayou did you see the gator in?

Based on the sequence of photos and the forestation, it's definitely west of Shepherd. There is a small shoal like this near Bayou Bend Tower, which is a favorite of the gators. It's visble from the deck of Brenner's on the Bayou (former Rainbow Lodge building).

i read an article in the past about someone tracing the bayou from way out west and going all the way to the port. they were on foot part of the time (west of the loop).

great pics. thank you. i love a new view. it seems almost surreal, like a river was photo shopped with houston buildings in the background. awesome.

I'd been bouncing this idea off of another HAIFer, but we always seem to be tied up on good-weather Saturdays.

Anybody else interested in possibly making this happen? Then we can put together an armada of kayaks and canoes and go it self-guided.

I'd be interested in making the trip! I've always wanted to paddle Buffalo Bayou, and as of a couple weeks ago, I've got a kayak to do it with. I'm not the most skilled paddler, and I don't have a touring kayak, but I'm sure I can make it work.

I'm actually tied up for the next few weekends, but I might be able to do something in May...or June. It'll be hot, but what better reason to get on the water, right?!?

In photo #4, what is the series of black pipes doing there?

I'd guess it's some type of erosion protection...they might be geotubes. Erosion of Buffalo Bayou's banks is a big issue for many property owners along the bayou. Unfortunately, Mother Nature puts up a pretty tough fight.

I'd been bouncing this idea off of another HAIFer, but we always seem to be tied up on good-weather Saturdays.

Anybody else interested in possibly making this happen? Then we can put together an armada of kayaks and canoes and go it self-guided.

I've been wanting to do this for ages. Just either wasn't in the country, couldn't convince any of my weeney friends to join me, the weather wasn't right, or had to work when the weather was.

I'm in town for the next couple months, so if this ever materializes count me in