WestGrayGuy

Someone, someday will have to explain to me just how the "moon phase" lighting effect is supposed to work. Does the lighting change with the changing phases of the moon? If so, how? Or, does the white and blue light effects represent the light and dark sides of the moon? I just can't figure it out. [/qiuote]

www.buffalobayou.org/BB_Phase2.pdf.pdf

Sounds like the proposal is that they install lights that cycle between white and blue on a 29 day lunar cycle, with the bluest shade during the new moon and the whitest shade during full moons.

Thanks August. Are these the blue lights on the tops of the Trail lights, do you think/understand? Or do the under-bridge light effects also follow the lunar cycle?

I got the impression from reading the doc that they intended this to be an overall effect, even suggesting that eventually other areas like downtown be tied into it.  I haven't done anything other than skim through the proposal.  Is this something that has actually been approved and/or implemented?

I got the impression from reading the doc that they intended this to be an overall effect, even suggesting that eventually other areas like downtown be tied into it.  I haven't done anything other than skim through the proposal.  Is this something that has actually been approved and/or implemented?

Yes, it includes the under-bridge lighting.   It was implemented in 2006 on the Sabine to Bagby Promenade section of the Buffalo Bayou.  It has now been implemented on at least parts of the Shepherd to Sabine section.

Edited by Houston19514

Trudy Smith spokesperson for Buffalo Bayou spoke at Neartown (great presentation) related that the Brown Foundation will be funding the conversion of the 1927 Houston Waterworks underground cistern ( cathedral?) into an art space.

That is fantastic! I wanted James Turrell to convert it into some big public art installation. Can't wait to hear more about it.

James Turrell would do something very interesting, but since we already have three spaces that are accessible to the public I would like to see them commission Mineko Grimmer to do something reminiscent of her piece that was on display at the Menil from September 2001 to February 2002. It featured water dripping from frozen ice and rock stalactite shapes into pools of water with brass rods strung above the water and below the melting Rocky icicles. They would make chimes as the rocks fell from the frozen icicles and the lights that shown on the water reflected onto the walls creating beautiful patterns as the ripples moved. this to me would be the perfect kind of meditative piece

Featuring water since that is what this space was built for. Holding water. I hope some of you will remember the exhibit or understand what I'm trying to explain. It was a great exhibit and had an incredible audience. I always thought the piece should maybe move into the old Byzantine chapel under the black box.

Trudy Smith spokesperson for Buffalo Bayou spoke at Neartown (great presentation) related that the Brown Foundation will be funding the conversion of the 1927 Houston Waterworks underground cistern ( cathedral?) into an art space.

This is great news, but let's avoid the cathedral metaphor at all costs. It is terribly overused, and I say that as a big fan of cathedrals.

• 2 weeks later...