WestGrayGuy

13 minutes ago, CaptainJilliams said:

I could be wrong, but technically I believe it is designed to flood.

You are right.  Everything within BBP (outside maybe the park above the cistern) is going to flood whenever we get tons of rain.  Buffalo Bayou is the main drainage channel for much of the area's waterways and storm runoff.   

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, CaptainJilliams said:

I could be wrong, but technically I believe it is designed to flood.

Correct. It held up too. The only thing that didn't hold up was the actual landscaping.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, CaptainJilliams said:

This was posted today as a story on the Buffalo Bayou Park’s Instagram page.

Looks like the work will be split into 7 phases to minimize disruption for park users. Some areas/paths will close down temporarily.  

44299F5B-29A7-402F-B05A-B352433A7731.jpeg

This is MUCH needed... Hope they do a good job.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First of all, kind of cool that there's a tunnel under the RR tracks between the warehouses and barge terminal. Second, I think the key word is "conceptual."

BTW, the warehouse in the upper rendering looks to be near Turkey Bend, Navigation @ Norwood.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HoustonMidtown said:

Looks like they are raising the north side of the bayou by the skate park

48872653631_9141549ded_k.jpgUntitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr

Off topic, but The Allen project will really add a splash of much-needed newness to this side of the skyline, which has become pretty familiar and stagnant over the years. Feels like this could be a photo of the Rendezvous Houston preparations, except for 609 Main peeking out.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Off topic, but The Allen project will really add a splash of much-needed newness to this side of the skyline, which has become pretty familiar and stagnant over the years. Feels like this could be a photo of the Rendezvous Houston preparations, except for 609 Main peeking out.

and 1500 Louisiana peeking out, and Heritage Plaza being complete.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love that treehouse looking structure in the 2nd to last rendering...but in the first one, how in the heck can that guy stand so far from the railing on the bridge yet not be leaning way over to reach it. I would like some answers...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gene said:

I love that treehouse looking structure in the 2nd to last rendering...but in the first one, how in the heck can that guy stand so far from the railing on the bridge yet not be leaning way over to reach it. I would like some answers...

The guy in the second to last photo is REALLY interested in that grass.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, gene said:

He's very tall.

49 minutes ago, Triton said:

The guy in the second to last photo is REALLY interested in that grass.

Nope.  He just got mugged and thrown down the slope by the smiling couple. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am scared of that rendering...

Why in the world is that lady running TOWARDS the attacking birds killing those innocent park goers on the mountain!!!??? I mean i am definitely proud of her bravery but with all that bare skin, those birds are sure to peck her to death! I would at least wear a well covering cape or something 😮

Ps...i think the artist's 5 year old drew that jungle gym in purple marker without him realizing it and turned it in...

i hope he didn't get fired but likely he did

sad

Edited by gene
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, EastEndHeritage said:

Good article but it's a bit of a bummer that this is on a 20-year timeline. The original BB master plan that came out in 2003 was supposed to be a 20-year timeline and we basically just have the western portion done 16 years later. But this is exciting nonetheless, and yes, this is obviously something of huge magnitude which can't be expected to conform to a rigid timeline, etc., etc.

Also mentioned in article - EastRiver expected to break ground in 1Q 2020 per Jonathan Brinsden of Midway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gene said:

I am scared of that rendering...

Why in the world is that lady running TOWARDS the attacking birds killing those innocent park goers on the mountain!!!??? I mean i am definitely proud of her bravery but with all that bare skin, those birds are sure to peck her to death! I would at least wear a well covering cape or something 😮

In fairness, there are three distressed people either running or walking quickly away from the incipient interspecies carnage - and several more behind them whose speed I can't judge

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Good article but it's a bit of a bummer that this is on a 20-year timeline. The original BB master plan that came out in 2003 was supposed to be a 20-year timeline and we basically just have the western portion done 16 years later. But this is exciting nonetheless, and yes, this is obviously something of huge magnitude which can't be expected to conform to a rigid timeline, etc., etc.

Also mentioned in article - EastRiver expected to break ground in 1Q 2020 per Jonathan Brinsden of Midway.

those timelines are likely more to do with funding though, I'd guess

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 10:33 AM, Triton said:

This is a really bizarre rendering to me

An 'adventure park' for extreme sports is one of the amenities proposed within the Industrial District of the Buffalo Bayou East master plan.

This could be a liability but I love the concept of incorporating workout areas like a large hill with an industrial look to this... The adult jungle gym is a bit much but properly done, this would be great for workouts and the like. 

• Like 1

Something, I don't see being mentioned more is the complete revamping of Navigation. 

This would be one of the most transformative changes to a Houston street for as long as I could remember. 

closing 2 west bound lanes to create a greenway is something that I would never imagined Houston doing. 

This is a great idea and I hope it comes to fruition. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

This could be a liability but I love the concept of incorporating workout areas like a large hill with an industrial look to this... The adult jungle gym is a bit much but properly done, this would be great for workouts and the like. 

This park is theoretically behind a paywall.

This is how something like this can exist. 

I'd imagine it's nothing too incredibly expensive and memberships would be offered, but you couldn't have any of this completely public without exposing yourself to lawsuits. 

• Like 1