WestGrayGuy

• 2 weeks later...

Super excited about this entire project! This portion of Buffalo Bayou hosts the biggest body of water closest to the city of Houston. For so long its been so underutilized by citizens for recreational use. We as a city always parade about how Buffalo Bayou park (west of downtown) is one of Houston's biggest treasure, however, once this portion of the bayou trails is complete, it will without a doubt be the nicest nature Houston has to offer! The body of water is HUGE compared to the tiny stream on the west side of downtown. Don't get me wrong, the west side of Buffalo Bayou is nice, but the east portion is without a doubt nicer. It semi resembles the Colorado river off of Downtown Austin. 

• Like 2

The Buffalo Bayou Partnership unveiled an ambitious plan two years ago to extend Buffalo Bayou Park into Fifth Ward and East End. The reveal was accompanied by a $100 million gift from the Kinder Foundation, which supported BBP's 10-year master plan for Buffalo Bayou East. 

Since then, the organization has been quietly working behind-the-scenes to produce walking and biking trails, parks, a ball field, entertainment venues and affordable housing for those neighborhoods. On Wednesday, BBP leadership shared "Buffalo Bayou East: A Progress Report to the Community" with updated information, project timelines, new renderings and three invitations for the public to celebrate and see the 10-year master plan's progress.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/lifestyle/article/buffalo-bayou-east-renderings-19725951.php

RgTWHlp.png

u5MF35Y.png

fJn61V9.png

• Like 9

15 hours ago, Amlaham said:

Super excited about this entire project! This portion of Buffalo Bayou hosts the biggest body of water closest to the city of Houston. For so long its been so underutilized by citizens for recreational use. We as a city always parade about how Buffalo Bayou park (west of downtown) is one of Houston's biggest treasure, however, once this portion of the bayou trails is complete, it will without a doubt be the nicest nature Houston has to offer! The body of water is HUGE compared to the tiny stream on the west side of downtown. Don't get me wrong, the west side of Buffalo Bayou is nice, but the east portion is without a doubt nicer. It semi resembles the Colorado river off of Downtown Austin. 

I live in the area, and I really hope they can make it inviting, but the thing I can't help but always notice when I am near this area is the steel scrap yard between Hirsch and Lockwood that proudly sells scrap metal by the barge load. comparing that view with the Austin skyline is never going to win.

there's no mistaking the area's industrial roots, and maybe the renovations they will make can hide the industry that is still there while celebrating the industrial history of the area?

• Like 3

Every presentation I see of this just continues to impress me more and more. The vision and details are all so impressive. Should be such a point of pride for the 2nd Ward when it's all done.

The construction on the turkey bend warehouse has been going strong for a little while now, they've got a lane of Navigation closed off. I don't think I'd noticed before that it was going to be open air with connections to the waterfront behind it.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, TXK said:

Every presentation I see of this just continues to impress me more and more. The vision and details are all so impressive. Should be such a point of pride for the 2nd Ward when it's all done.

The construction on the turkey bend warehouse has been going strong for a little while now, they've got a lane of Navigation closed off. I don't think I'd noticed before that it was going to be open air with connections to the waterfront behind it.

Thank the Kinders for their $130M contribution without which none of this would be possible.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

Anyone know how much the Kinders personally profited from the freeze of 2021?

How would they *personally* profit off the freeze? Ignoring the fact that Kinder doesn't even work at the company anymore, just chairs the board, the company is primarily a pipeline/transportation company. The company doesn't own electrical lines, power generation facilities, or sell fuel to powerplants.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, JBTX said:

How would they *personally* profit off the freeze? Ignoring the fact that Kinder doesn't even work at the company anymore, just chairs the board, the company is primarily a pipeline/transportation company. The company doesn't own electrical lines, power generation facilities, or sell fuel to powerplants.

Reuters: Texas freeze delivers billions in profits to gas and power sellers

Kinder Morgan made about one billion dollars off of that storm.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/results-tally-up-billions-profit-texas-freeze-gas-power-sellers-2021-05-06/

With roughly 12% of Kinder Morgan stock, Richard Kinder is the largest single shareholder of the company. 

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From Texas Consumer Association:

"The impact of gas shortages on skyrocketing prices was compounded by Texas’s pipeline system, which is controlled by just a few key players -- among them Energy Transfer and Kinder Morgan, the same companies that made the biggest-known profits from the freeze.

Energy Transfer and Kinder Morgan both pointed to their ability to draw gas from their storage facilities as a reason why they were able to supply gas when others providers had none. Energy Transfer said its peak draw was enough to power 3 million homes.

The U.S. has the most interconnected gas network in the world. Interstate pipelines are federally regulated, have transparent pricing and customers can view physical flows at multiple points. By contrast, intrastate pipelines have long been a black box to customers in Texas. They have no public price disclosures, and are only lightly regulated by Craddick’s Railroad Commission.

Usually, given how cheap gas is, this isn’t a problem. But during the Texas freeze, the market went haywire. One power executive described finding gas at a major hub trading at about $50 per million British thermal units. But once marketers charged delivery costs through the intrastate pipeline, the total price ended up six times higher. Another executive described how gas put into storage at $2 to $3 per million British thermal units was being offered for sale in the $200 to $300 range."

https://www.texasconsumer.org/news-press/gas-sellers-reaped-11-billion-windfall-during-texas-freeze

From Forbes:

Kinder Morgan: The Texas’ Freeze Winner

"The first big winner from Texas’ Great February Freeze is now revealed: Kinder Morgan Inc (KMI).

While extreme conditions hobbled rivals, the company’s intrastate gas pipelines and storage network kept running. The result was a $1 billion windfall, which nearly doubled Q1 distributable cash flow to $1.02 per share."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2021/04/23/kinder-morgan-the-texas-freeze-winner/

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Excited to see the work continue to happen. It truly has the opportunity to transform not only the direct area but truly lead to a more walkable and less car dependent city. 

Buffalo Bayou at Jensen Dr. has gotten a bit more run down in the years since COVID including the Plaza Park surprisingly (overgrowth on the paths, litter and debris in the park and paths surrounding,  and homeless encampments pop up under the Jensen Dr. bridge)  and I hope we see that area start get a little more TLC from the city and the BBP as East River opens to the public, the roundabout construction completes (with the new artwork) and the area continues to grow. 

Edited by I'm Not a Robot
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

Reuters: Texas freeze delivers billions in profits to gas and power sellers

Kinder Morgan made about one billion dollars off of that storm.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/results-tally-up-billions-profit-texas-freeze-gas-power-sellers-2021-05-06/

With roughly 12% of Kinder Morgan stock, Richard Kinder is the largest single shareholder of the company. 

I get that these firms profited off of the freeze but just like the financial markets, there will always be a winner and loser. You could see the winter freeze as the 08' financial crisis when the market flipped. Thousands lost jobs and people suffered, yet there were others who profited big time from this. Thats how the game of money works. It wasn't just Kinder that profited but also Vitol, Band of America, and Goldman Sachs. Yet I don't see any of these other firms invest into the city like Kinder is. 

• Like 2

Since this thread is about Buffalo Bayou and not the Kinders, I don't want to derail it any more than I already have. Sometimes I really should keep my unrelated thoughts to myself.  I will make no more posts about this topic. 

• Thanks 2

Did the presentation discuss the asphalt plant on Turkey Bend at all? I'm not trying to be a downer and I really love their plans to beautify the eastern portion of Buffalo Bayou, but whenever I go to Bumpy Pickle I'm stunned by how gross that asphalt plant is. I can't imagine hosting my wedding across the river from that eye-sore. It'd be incredible if the city somehow bought that back, but I know that's a pipe dream

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, bookey23 said:

Did the presentation discuss the asphalt plant on Turkey Bend at all?

That area belongs to Cemex, they just mentioned the name but nothing was really said about it. I asked one person about the Proler Scrap Metal south of Japhet Park and they said the when someone offered the right price Proler would probably take it and leave, mentioned they have other scrap sites around Houston. A woman working the Lockwood On Buffalo Bayou site said they plan on building a dirt sound wall to drone out the noise the scrap yard makes loading out the barges.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Renaissance1999 said:

I get that these firms profited off of the freeze but just like the financial markets, there will always be a winner and loser. You could see the winter freeze as the 08' financial crisis when the market flipped. Thousands lost jobs and people suffered, yet there were others who profited big time from this. Thats how the game of money works. It wasn't just Kinder that profited but also Vitol, Band of America, and Goldman Sachs. Yet I don't see any of these other firms invest into the city like Kinder is. 

I’m so happy the Kinders give back. And they always make it about quality of life projects that benefit everyone. More billionaires should do this. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Triton said:

There is a separate thread for your question…

“Memorial Park to Buffalo Bayou Park Bike Connection”

I don’t know how to copy the link here…