Kirby Crossing: UK Mixed-Use With A HEB, West Alabama At Kirby Dr.

swtsig

17 hours ago, 004n063 said:

I just hope they get tap pay sometime this century

So the HEB I use in Brenham recently completed a year long remodel. Completely redid the store, expanded the footprint, etc. Really nice (btw, wanna piss off an old person--rearrange where everything is located in your store). One of the final steps, just a few weeks ago, was redoing the checkout stations, with all new terminals. Finally!

So when I first used it, I asked the cashier about using Google Pay. "Oh, these don't do that".

😭😭😭

• Like 1

They make too much money tracking your purchases. I heard through the grapevine from a reliable, relevant individual they were reluctantly going to get around to doing it this year but the lack of noise since I heard about this 7 months ago makes me think otherwise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigFootsSocks said:

It's insane to me that they won't just pay the fee to enable Tap to Pay or that it's taken them this long to work through the process to enable it on their POS system.

The fee is actually cheaper. As AS_ mentioned, it is the marketing/tracking of purchased. Tap to pay generates a unique number each time from my understanding.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

This might be my bikebrain talking, but I feel like it's part of a very suburban/car-centric notion of grocery shopping. That is, it is assumed that grocery shopping is a big trip for which people would obviously have to bring their driver's license anyway, so no harm done.

In reality (mine, at least), it's often just a pop-over thing. Need to grab some basil and a bottle of wine, picking up a steak for dinner, just really feel like an apple right now. That sort of thing. When I lived in Midtown and the Midtown Whole Foods was still open, that was how I shopped 90% of the time, and I never bothered bringing anything more than a phone and the always-on pannier bag.

Since it closed, though, I've switched over to HEB, and have had to turn around and bike back home to grab a wallet several times. It's not a big deal, but it's annoying and feels vaguely anti-urban to have to specifically remember something that I literally only otherwise use for airport security, just to grab some food. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, rechlin said:

For what little it's worth (and I know this is waaaay off-topic), Samsung Pay has always worked just fine for me at HEB.

Interesting. No HEB I go to has any form of Tap-to-Pay. Of course, my sample is two stores 😬.

Which HEB do you use that has it? Or is it most of them, and my two just happen to be dinosaurs?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rechlin said:

For what little it's worth (and I know this is waaaay off-topic), Samsung Pay has always worked just fine for me at HEB.

Which HEBs have tap pay? I haven't seen one at either the Montrose one or the MacGregor one

11 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

The new 5th page doesn't have a rendering of this proposed Kirby Crossing development.

See attached:

8oHkeJd.jpeg

mugeLgG.jpeg

I am confused by the wording. Are you saying that the renderings above are no longer there, or that the renderings above have replaced what was previously there?

6 hours ago, astrohip said:

Interesting. No HEB I go to has any form of Tap-to-Pay. Of course, my sample is two stores 😬.

Which HEB do you use that has it? Or is it most of them, and my two just happen to be dinosaurs?

All of them have it.  Samsung Pay is unique in that it supports both NFC (the way iPhones do tap-to-pay) and also their own proprietary technology called MST, which works on anything with a magnetic strip reader.  Just hold your phone up to the magnetic strip reader and it will emit a magnetic signature equivalent to swiping a credit card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2024 at 2:13 PM, rechlin said:

All of them have it.  Samsung Pay is unique in that it supports both NFC (the way iPhones do tap-to-pay) and also their own proprietary technology called MST, which works on anything with a magnetic strip reader.  Just hold your phone up to the magnetic strip reader and it will emit a magnetic signature equivalent to swiping a credit card.

They should tell their cashiers.  In my experience, they consistently (without exception) say they don’t have it.

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

They should tell their cashiers.  In my experience, they consistently (without exception) say they don’t have it.

That's because very few phones support it.  Only a few models of the Galaxy S series, like my old S7 and my current S20, can do it.  So for most people it isn't possible.  The cashiers are really surprised when they see it work.

Maybe the fence coming down was a false alarm because they are going up with a permanent fence now. I guess they were tired of the temporary fence being knocked over in every storm. So far they have done the north side on Steel St. and the west side on Virginia St.

I guess they could put up renderings of what is to come on the new fence. 🤷‍♂️🤞

1RjNZaG.jpeg

OB0fTg4.jpeg

rREA1e5.jpeg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 4
  • Sad 3

Yeah that's all they're doing. HEB owns this lot and Shepherd Plaza on Richmond. It's ridiculous they're just sitting on the land and not doing anything with it. Sell it already. I read an article from a few years ago how HEB was ready to open a new store at Shepherd Plaza and it never happened. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Yeah that's all they're doing. HEB owns this lot and Shepherd Plaza on Richmond. It's ridiculous they're just sitting on the land and not doing anything with it. Sell it already. I read an article from a few years ago how HEB was ready to open a new store at Shepherd Plaza and it never happened. 

I'm not sure HEB owns the Shepherd Plaza property. If they do it's under a shell name company to hide the fact they own it. HCAD listing shows an Alvin address for the owner. I think that was a long time rumor that never happened.

This property actually shows HEB owns it on HCAD.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, hindesky said:

I'm not sure HEB owns the Shepherd Plaza property. If they do it's under a shell name company to hide the fact they own it. HCAD listing shows an Alvin address for the owner. I think that was a long time rumor that never happened.

This property actually shows HEB owns it on HCAD.

image.png.e59e014df38ce441a237ada40b54c739.png

• Like 1

23 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

image.png.e59e014df38ce441a237ada40b54c739.png

This just proves HEB doesn't own it but was thinking about leasing here which probably didn't happen once they acquired the Kirby/W. Alabama property that they do own. I posted the ownership at the post about it in the Upper Kirby/River Oaks section.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 2:10 PM, hindesky said:

This just proves HEB doesn't own it but was thinking about leasing here which probably didn't happen once they acquired the Kirby/W. Alabama property that they do own. I posted the ownership at the post about it in the Upper Kirby/River Oaks section.

That makes sense. I just wanted to share JLL’s response

• The title was changed to Kirby Crossing: UK Mixed-Use With A HEB, West Alabama At Kirby Dr.