METRO Next - 2040 Vision

yaga

7 hours ago, Triton said:

So is there any portion we can build? What does this mean for the BRT line along I-10?

I watched the meeting. In METRO's eyes, they viewed University Line as all or nothing. In reality, they definitely could and should have thought about breaking it up if there is such a big concern for their finances. They could build segment 1 (which is Westchase to Lower Uptown TC) running along unused land next to Westpark Toll Road and a components of Segment 2 to connect with Greenway Plaza and then run on 59 to Midtown terminating at Wheeler TC. This would provide a great East/West transit corridor that we so desperately need. 

METRO also said Inner Katy BRT is still under review and they have not made a decision on that.

They did make a decision on Gulfton BRT, which they gave the go-ahead for it and they'll will bring back monthly updates for that project. 

Edited by j.33
text error
  • Like 4

On 5/6/2024 at 6:28 PM, Houston19514 said:

FWIW, from what I know, I don't agree with the Mayor's pending moves regarding the Shepherd/Durham pair.  But no minds will be changed by engaging in hyperbole and hate.

Also, with regard to Metro and the University Line (and other BRT projects), it is indeed hyperbole to say they have been canceled. They are still shown on Metro's website as part of their plans.

Well this post stood the test of time for, well, six weeks.  And that's being generous.

Turns out that the hyperbole was informed speculation, as most on this thread held.  "Writing on the wall," if you will and in big, bold letters.  Turns out it's not that difficult to speculate that removing voter-approved plans because they are "advocacy" isn't innocent nor fair-minded--and it wasn't a leap at all to "connect those dots."  (n.b. Always helpful for people on here to know those whose judgment is regularly clouded by political blindness.)

Still, the most interesting to me in all of this is, along with the firefighter settlement, all of these transportation-related issues seem to be top priority for the new administration.  At least he ran openly on the firefighter settlement, so no obfuscation there.  This apparent vendetta against anything other than cars, though, leaves me scratching my head.  Why?  If it was such an important philosophical issue to him, why not make it a campaign issue?  Who, exactly, is he doing all of this for? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kennyc05 said:

I guess I'll try to be positive but maybe this sets up Houston for something even greater years down the line like actual heavy rail instead of BRT.

I admire your optimism but we can't even get BRT built in this city let alone light or heavy rail

Although, I always envisioned the university corridor as a heavy commuter rail line or elevated/below-grade heavy or light rail on Westheimer to compliment the University BRT.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, j.33 said:

I watched the meeting. In METRO's eyes, they viewed University Line as all or nothing. In reality, they definitely could and should have thought about breaking it up if there is such a big concern for their finances. They could build segment 1 (which is Westchase to Lower Uptown TC) running along unused land next to Westpark Toll Road and a components of Segment 2 to connect with Greenway Plaza and then run on 59 to Midtown terminating at Wheeler TC. This would provide a great East/West transit corridor that we so desperately need. 

METRO also said Inner Katy BRT is still under review and they have not made a decision on that.

They did make a decision on Gulfton BRT, which they gave the go-ahead for it and they'll will bring back monthly updates for that project. 

I have hope for the Inner Katy ONLY because TxDOT is partnering with Metro, so there may be some financial incentive to get moving forward. Plus the cost is just a little more than the Gulfton extension

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I have hope for the Inner Katy ONLY because TxDOT is partnering with Metro, so there may be some financial incentive to get moving forward.

My guess is that TxDOT and METRO will compromise and make the viaduct BRT AND HOV instead of bus only. 

15 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

But won't that affect the ability to create stations? 

I dont think so as in the flyover video the stations are in the center and the bus would use left side boarding. The flyover video mentions that park and ride buses can pass the BRT buses as they stop in the stations, so I'm guessing vehicles would be able to do the same thing. I would love to see the two uses be separated in their own elevated viaducts.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

and be sure to include a check.  😉

• Haha 1

On 6/19/2024 at 7:53 AM, mattyt36 said:

Well this post stood the test of time for, well, six weeks.  And that's being generous.

Turns out that the hyperbole was informed speculation, as most on this thread held.  "Writing on the wall," if you will and in big, bold letters.  Turns out it's not that difficult to speculate that removing voter-approved plans because they are "advocacy" isn't innocent nor fair-minded--and it wasn't a leap at all to "connect those dots."  (n.b. Always helpful for people on here to know those whose judgment is regularly clouded by political blindness.)

Still, the most interesting to me in all of this is, along with the firefighter settlement, all of these transportation-related issues seem to be top priority for the new administration.  At least he ran openly on the firefighter settlement, so no obfuscation there.  This apparent vendetta against anything other than cars, though, leaves me scratching my head.  Why?  If it was such an important philosophical issue to him, why not make it a campaign issue?  Who, exactly, is he doing all of this for? 

I think I have to agree. The writing is on the wall for all mass transit projects at this point with this administration. What I wish Whitmire would do (though I've seen no indication of this) is to at least provide alternatives to all of these plans. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Honestly, this is the only argument that has a prayer of getting METRO’s attention.  It would be great if someone could put some numbers to it to counter what the METRO CFO modeled…

What would scaling back look like? One option is a shorter initial operating segment. The University Corridor BRT can be built first just between Westchase and Wheeler Transit Center within right-of-way METRO already controls along Westpark Drive and the I-69 high occupancy and toll lanes. This alternative option would allow METRO to move forward with a proof-of-concept rapid transit project connecting Gulfton, Uptown and many other communities through some of the most congested parts of our region, while still preserving financial capacity for operations and other enhancements. In the future, other opportunities to complete the full project could be considered based on ongoing evaluation.”

Edited by hbg.50
  • Like 3

On 6/19/2024 at 9:53 AM, mattyt36 said:

At least he ran openly on the firefighter settlement, so no obfuscation there.  This apparent vendetta against anything other than cars, though, leaves me scratching my head.  Why?  If it was such an important philosophical issue to him, why not make it a campaign issue?  Who, exactly, is he doing all of this for? 

From where I’m sitting I don’t think he’s doing this for anyone in particular.  To me Whitmire seems hellbent on undoing anything with Sylvester Turner’s prints on it.  The most egregious example is stopping the new Acres Homes library from being built - right in ST’s backyard.  He basically reversed the city’s position on Vision Zero.  He’s uncovering all the corruption that existed during ST’s tenure (which is a good thing).  I just hope he doesn’t cut off his nose to spite his face.  There is a lot at stake for the city.

1 hour ago, Triton said:

I think I have to agree. The writing is on the wall for all mass transit projects at this point with this administration. What I wish Whitmire would do (though I've seen no indication of this) is to at least provide alternatives to all of these plans. 

Not all…Gulfton is still moving forward…

On 6/21/2024 at 7:33 PM, hbg.50 said:

From where I’m sitting I don’t think he’s doing this for anyone in particular.  To me Whitmire seems hellbent on undoing anything with Sylvester Turner’s prints on it.  

Well sounds like a real first-class loser if that's his approach to managing the fourth largest city in the US.  Is it too much to ask the Mayor of Houston to be able to state a vision?  I mean I think you're right, he wants to blame the last guy without doing crap, but man, what an absolute waste. Wouldn't you agree? 

I think he's smarter than that.

Which means his platform has been handed to him.

On 6/21/2024 at 7:33 PM, hbg.50 said:

He’s uncovering all the corruption that existed during ST’s tenure (which is a good thing).  I just hope he doesn’t cut off his nose to spite his face.  There is a lot at stake for the city.

WHAT corruption, exactly? If there's "a lot at stake for the City," seems to me you can explain what you're talking about versus speaking in platitudes. Please share all of the corruption. And in good faith. The people on this forum care about the City of Houston, so please, please tell us about all of this corruption.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2024 at 9:53 AM, mattyt36 said:

This apparent vendetta against anything other than cars, though, leaves me scratching my head.  Why?  If it was such an important philosophical issue to him, why not make it a campaign issue?  Who, exactly, is he doing all of this for? 

His campaign seemed to be mostly "I'll fix the firefighters, and I'm the opposite of the last guy."  In that sense, it seems like he's on course — Giving the firefighters what they wanted, and undoing everything the last guy did.

As for who he's doing it for — Probably his campaign donors, or the people he hopes will donate to his next campaign.  He's been a politician since before I was born, and I'm an old man now.  He knows how to get his bread buttered.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, editor said:

His campaign seemed to be mostly "I'll fix the firefighters, and I'm the opposite of the last guy."  In that sense, it seems like he's on course — Giving the firefighters what they wanted, and undoing everything the last guy did.

As for who he's doing it for — Probably his campaign donors, or the people he hopes will donate to his next campaign.  He's been a politician since before I was born, and I'm an old man now.  He knows how to get his bread buttered.  

How about he start undoing the last 12 years of water rate hikes?  Just ran across an old bill from 2012 in which I had the exact same water usage as my May bill, but the total of the bill was more than 2.5 times what it was 12 years ago.

On 6/19/2024 at 7:05 PM, j.33 said:

My guess is that TxDOT and METRO will compromise and make the viaduct BRT AND HOV instead of bus only. 

Evidently this wasn't on the table before because it would have added many years to the timeline. I guess that may be better than getting nothing.

• Like 2

Suddenly a bunch of other "public transportation" projects get a bunch of buzz after metro folds on the University line. Ryde and Flying taxis isn't going to put a dent in the transportation needs of this massive metropolis. Our neighboring metropolis to the south of the border Monterrey, Nuevo Leon has made more advances in regional and inner city rail mass transit in the past 3 years with a similar status in Mexico as Houston has in the United States, but nowhere near the same budget. 

It's pretty BS, and I'm not about that.

• Like 7

On 6/23/2024 at 6:21 PM, editor said:

I agree with you 100% on all of the above.

But, as I've described before, focusing his campaign on the firefighters was a very weird one.  

On essentially week one of becoming the Mayor, he announced the City was bankrupt . . . because of the unilateral decision he made to bankrupt (his word, not mine) the City.  

Does that not strike you as just absolutely beyond bizarre? 

Political parties aside?

(Actually, the political party dynamics in this regard make it way more interesting, but I digress.)

If we agree on your second paragraph there (which we do), then OK, who would donate to his campaign for the purpose of bankrupting the City of Houston?  

What is there to "make right" by that?

And why do they seem salivating to do the same to the County?

I'm sure they don't see it that way--rather, they see it as a means to an end.

I fear HISD was Step 1.

METRO seems to be Step 2?

So I am just . . . shall we say . . . "curious" . . . as to what the end is.

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, AcresMansions said:

Suddenly a bunch of other "public transportation" projects get a bunch of buzz after metro folds on the University line. Ryde and Flying taxis isn't going to put a dent in the transportation needs of this massive metropolis. Our neighboring metropolis to the south of the border Monterrey, Nuevo Leon has made more advances in regional and inner city rail mass transit in the past 3 years with a similar status in Mexico as Houston has in the United States, but nowhere near the same budget. 

It's pretty BS, and I'm not about that.

It's pretty incredible to see the amount of public support surrounding the University Line. But we can't stop sounding off and making our voice heard. We have to keep reminding Metro of their obligation to this city and what we voted for in 2019. Call your council member or call Metro and tell them to put it on the record that you want what you voted for. 

• Like 4

If METRO deems one BRT line too expensive to operate, then there's really no hope of any meaningful transit improvements happening within my lifetime unfortunately. The General Mobility payments did exactly what they were designed to do - ensure that METRO forever remains too cash strapped to make capital investments to better the system and attract ridership and will be stuck operating the bare minimum transit system for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by mfastx
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Amlaham said:

Metro will be upgrading the traditional bus shelters

These shelters are only for BOOST routes, so you'll start to see them along the 54 Scott, 56 Airline/Montrose, and 82 Westheimer. There are new standard shelters coming online and those will look more like the current ones out there, but it in Silver with more of a metal look. They are also rehabbing the existing shelters and repainting them grey to match the new silver/metal shelters. 

New Metal Standard Shelter (easy way to tell it has the METRO red and blue logo): 

image.png.3abda7b8f8329a83d8e50a2970e34c50.png

Rehab Existing Shelter (grey shelter with bold black letters): image.png.f2af5f0db2ec674ab51635f3042cfc69.png

New BOOST Shelter (there will be 4 different versions of the BOOST shelters): image.png.1dcfd0094b443d7b46dbc4b802d47ba8.png

• Thanks 4

All of this started under the old board, this new board is just inheriting these programs :) I am happy to see that they are still going through with it! The BOOST shelters are very nice. I think something we'll see under this new board is more emphasis on shelters. They bring it up a lot. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, j.33 said:

All of this started under the old board, this new board is just inheriting these programs :) I am happy to see that they are still going through with it! The BOOST shelters are very nice. I think something we'll see under this new board is more emphasis on shelters. They bring it up a lot. 

Right.   They are committing to improving the customer experience, public safety and ridership.   I agree with @j_cuevas713 that we have to hold them accountable.  For now I'm holding out hope that this Board will be effective towards their stated objectives. 

• Confused 1