METRO Next - 2040 Vision

yaga

5 minutes ago, Ross said:

The City doesn't mow the bayous. The Flood Control District does that. Here's an explanation https://www.hcfcd.org/Resources/Interactive-Mapping-Tools/Mowing-Schedule-Explained

The mowing is done to make sure that unwanted woody shrubs don't grow taller, among other reasons.

But...the woody shrubs are better for flood mitigation...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2024 at 3:32 PM, Ross said:

The City doesn't mow the bayous. The Flood Control District does that. Here's an explanation https://www.hcfcd.org/Resources/Interactive-Mapping-Tools/Mowing-Schedule-Explained

The mowing is done to make sure that unwanted woody shrubs don't grow taller, among other reasons.

I swear to god that's short sighted as thousand dollars, we need the bayous to naturally expand and trap more water so that flooding doesn't get so bad after a dry spell.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AcresMansions said:

I swear to god that's short sighted as thousand dollars, we need the bayous to naturally expand and trap more water so that flooding doesn't get so bad after a dry spell.

From the discussions I've had over the years with the Flood Control District, the woody shrubs do a terrible job of absorbing water and generally make things worse. I live close to White Oak Bayou, and it's great when it's all grassy, but the garbage shrubs reduce the amount of grass, and if they get large, they get uprooted and carried along the bayou, making the water back up more. The bayou was straightened in the late 40s and early 50s and won't be returned to the fully natural state. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, JLWM8609 said:

I've noticed those yellow signs on the back of buses warning to watch out for children exiting the bus have all but disappeared. I guess that's part of the cost cutting?

Good eye. Yup, they’re being removed in addition to all other stickers on the bus (like the “this lift is a $1.25” and “free wifi”. New board said the buses looked “too cluttered and ugly” with all the stickers. 

• Confused 1