Icon M Tower: Condominium High-Rise At 1209 Montrose Blvd.

memebag

On 8/27/2018 at 0:45 PM, wilcal said:

I live across Montrose, but I don't think it's that out of place. 

Montrose Boulevard is continuing to densify, and there are already several large apartments within a few blocks. Plus the El Tiempo across the cross is going to get redeveloped at any moment. 

The lot at Fairview/Montrose is a bit bigger I think, but it's being redeveloped too. 

Where were you thinking that would be more appropriate?  I'm guessing you think more towards Allen Parkway? 

How about the large empty lot at 4503 Montrose, just north of the 59 bridge?  The lot is huge (26,000 sq ft) and isn't currently being utilized by anything other than the defunct African Art Center. If you combine it with the adjoining empty lot at 905 Woodrow, you get over 35,000 sq ft of space.

1 hour ago, clutchcity94 said:

How about the large empty lot at 4503 Montrose, just north of the 59 bridge?  The lot is huge (26,000 sq ft) and isn't currently being utilized by anything other than the defunct African Art Center. If you combine it with the adjoining empty lot at 905 Woodrow, you get over 35,000 sq ft of space.

Totally forgot about this spot! This could be quite the site for something cool. I wonder if it's still for sale. HCAD says no change of ownership since 07.

55 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Totally forgot about this spot! This could be quite the site for something cool. I wonder if it's still for sale. HCAD says no change of ownership since 07.

I haven't heard anything since this building which never got built.

http://swamplot.com/new-spec-office-building-on-montrose-blvd-will-sit-atop-southwest-fwy-wall-vines/2014-10-13/

It's a great location.  Close to 59 and a 7-minute walk to the Glassell School of Art and less than a 15-minute walk to Menil Park in the other direction.

Edited by clutchcity94

12 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

I find this an odd way of thinking about development. It's as if the developer just harvested this building from the building farm, and just needs a place to plant it. 

14 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

Is that land available? Somebody might be holding it and planning to build a highrise in three years. Or just letting it appreciate.

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

Is that land available? Somebody might be holding it and planning to build a highrise in three years. Or just letting it appreciate.

Not sure if the sign is still up, but there's a large for information sign for a broker group from Feb. 2017 which is well after those plans for the office building were released. 

That's going to stick out like a sore appendage.
BTW, the name "Montrose Gardens" was already taken (2507 Montrose), but that building has been retitled "The Gardens Condominiums", (although I've never heard anyone call it that).
Taxi and Uber drivers should be forewarned. 

33 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

Anyone know how the meeting went regarding this one?

No real discussion from commissioners. One speaker in favor, though wanted less prominent parking (either fewer spaces or automated parking system). Two speakers opposed.

24 minutes ago, jmosele said:

I'm diggin the funky retro vibe. I think it'll fit Montrose nicely!

I’m getting a “Sears store renovated in the 1980s” vibe from this render. 

4 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

Oh. No no. That's ugly and so misporoportioned. However, can't argue with a frontage of retail. 

Agreed. This lot has a relatively narrow footprint for the size of the building, so when you combine that with the asinine minimum parking requirements, this is what you get.

1 hour ago, thedistrict84 said:

Agreed. This lot has a relatively narrow footprint for the size of the building, so when you combine that with the asinine minimum parking requirements, this is what you get.

Looking at the rendering, if the retail parking is undergound (probably 50 spaces or so) it's almost certainly exceeding the minimums by a fair amount. 50% or so, I'd guess.

2 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

I’m getting a “Sears store renovated in the 1980s” vibe from this render. 

I'm getting a "1960's office building converted to a parking lot with something thrown on top" vibe.

It looks like it will have ample parking for the residences on top AND for the nightlife in the area.