Carnaval Club At 7601 Bellaire Blvd.

gwilson

I don't know how many of you know of the hispanic night club called Carnival on Beechnut and 59 in the old K-Mart building. The place is a $#!*hole that is regularly packed beyond capacity only to have crime, drugs, drunk driving and prostitution spill in to the parking lot and streets surrounding it (which happen to be where I live). The stack for criminal complaints from HPD for the past three months at this place is about 5 inches thick. Every night it is open, you will hear gun shots, assaults take place, people get robbed, drunk drivers go flying down neighborhood streets, cars and property in the area get vandalized (likely by the drunk drivers occupying themselves on their way home).

In short, the place is hell.

To make matters worse, the owner, a known drug dealer and purveyor of carnal pleasures, has purchased, in cash, the old Gillman lot at the corner of Fondren and Bellaire. This corner is/was vital to the renewal of Sharpstown and would have been an ideal spot for a grocery store/strip with pad sites for restaurants/starbucks/etc.

The new owner plans to build a larger club there.

There have been public hearings and it looks as if he might not get the liquor license, and might not even get his other one renewed, which is excellent news. But this will not stop him from building it and opening it under someone elses name.

I need help from all of you on how to make sure this does not happen. This corner is vital to the future of Sharpstown and the TIRZ is about to start construction on Phase I of the SW Corridor project here too.

Please help with any ideas or assistance you can provide.

There have been public hearings and it looks as if he might not get the liquor license, and might not even get his other one renewed, which is excellent news. But this will not stop him from building it and opening it under someone elses name.

If someone was to open a daycare center or church across the street prior to the development of this property, would that prevent a liquor licence from being issued?

Sadly there is no room.

Adjacent to it is a Diamond Shamrock, the other corner has a Wallgreens.

The only other empty lot is rather small and wouldn't facilitate much of a building.

However, feel free to purchase and build a two story child care facility and church combo!

I'm willing to put forth the effort to become a legally ordained minister. Anything for a good cause.

But how does one become accredited as a church? Is a note from God required? or just the IRS?

just get a 501( c )(3) exemption from the IRS and you're good to go! ^_^

i hope "God" or whomever isn't distributing "notes" for some of the churches around today... <_<

Edited by sevfiv

I'm willing to put forth the effort to become a legally ordained minister. Anything for a good cause.

But how does one become accredited as a church? Is a note from God required? or just the IRS?

HAH! That is damn funny. Anyone feel like opening a ministry if for no other reason than for tax purposes? I've got a great spot!

The Gillman property was on the market as two parcels. The larger of which (around 18 acres I believe) is what has been purchased. It is the one that comes right up to he street on the corner. To the north east, just before the driveway to the Arena and the Conquistador, there is a narrower but deep property that is I believe 4 acres. Anyone know anyone interested in such a parcel that will put a day care or church there along with whatever else they want to do? Hey, it is worth a shot.

I am uncertain whether the parcel is still for sale.

I think protesting the liquor license is the key. Call your City Councilperson. Ours (Alvarado) is big on the liquor license thing. Every complaint called in goes into the public record against any attempt by the owner to defend himself.

I am an ordained minister, by the way. I think from the Universal Life Church in CA. Easy to do if they're still operating. A couple of friends and I did it back in the 90s. Let me know if I need to dig up my certificate. Also, they were taking applications for other positions including Pope, but I thought that one might be too much in the beginning...I'm not big on crowds :P

lol. The protest against the liquor license has already been done and might succeed. The issue is that he could easily build it anyone and put it in someone else's name.

Should be interesting to say the least.

Our neighborhood in Spring Branch recently went through the same protest cycle for an after hours club set to open across from us. With the help of our District and State reps in the area (both wrote to the TABC opposing it), we WERE sucessful in denying their license. Had we done nothing, it would have opened despite the fact that it backed up to several single family residences.

Key points:

• you absolutely should get your District and State representatives on your side, in writing. Have them submit letters to TABC opposing the licensing of this business by TABC.
  • get the official backing of any and all Civic associations in that area.
  • by law, the business must send notification of their intentions to any residences in a certain proximity to the club. I want to say it's 300 ft. If they didn't do this, it can be used to contest the filing.
  • get any residential and/or business neighbors to sign petitions against the business opening.
  • the TABC looks at the owners' history, if the biz is in his name. No history is actually a bad thing for you, since no history means no 'bad' history. Find out all the history you can and prepare it for evidence.
  • once a business is in place, if later their license is yanked, the owner often puts it in another family members' name and starts the whole process over (see 'no history' above). Bad situation.

The bottom line is you've got to act NOW. If the place gets the license, you could be in for a long battle to reverse course. I would say your best weapon is the involvement of the District/State reps, no matter who is listed as the owner.

Good luck!

Our neighborhood in Spring Branch recently went through the same protest cycle for an after hours club set to open across from us. With the help of our District and State reps in the area (both wrote to the TABC opposing it), we WERE sucessful in denying their license. Had we done nothing, it would have opened despite the fact that it backed up to several single family residences.

Key points:

• you absolutely should get your District and State representatives on your side, in writing. Have them submit letters to TABC opposing the licensing of this business by TABC.
  • get the official backing of any and all Civic associations in that area.
  • by law, the business must send notification of their intentions to any residences in a certain proximity to the club. I want to say it's 300 ft. If they didn't do this, it can be used to contest the filing.
  • get any residential and/or business neighbors to sign petitions against the business opening.
  • the TABC looks at the owners' history, if the biz is in his name. No history is actually a bad thing for you, since no history means no 'bad' history. Find out all the history you can and prepare it for evidence.
  • once a business is in place, if later their license is yanked, the owner often puts it in another family members' name and starts the whole process over (see 'no history' above). Bad situation.

The bottom line is you've got to act NOW. If the place gets the license, you could be in for a long battle to reverse course. I would say your best weapon is the involvement of the District/State reps, no matter who is listed as the owner.

Good luck!

Excellent points, thank you.

We already have our city councilman on the job (MJ Khan) as well as civic leaders in the area. There has been a large show of opposition for the CURRENT club and its intended new location. HPD was even involved by making a presentation about the rise in crime in the area surrounding the club.

I guess one thing that confuses me is, would this club not be much better suited in Gulfton where a very large portion of its target audience lives? Also, how does one who runs a night club have enough cash to buy a $10mm lot and develop it? This isn't a carried note, he bought the land straight up. Insane, Im in the wrong business.

• 6 years later...
  • The title was changed to Carnival In Sharpstown
  • The title was changed to Carnaval Club At 7601 Bellaire Blvd.