Worst Christmas Songs

editor

So, I'm sitting here at 11:39pm in the dark listening to Christmas songs and trying to avoid getting work done. A really bad Christmas song just came on the radio. It's the re-make of "Do They Know It's Christmas?" from the 1980's. Except now it has rap and a bunch of voices I don't recognize.

I'm also nominating the following songs for worst Christmas songs of all time:

Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer

I'll Be Home For Christmas - Elvis Presley version where he sounds drunk off his chair.

No Place Like Home For The Holidays - All versions

My nominations:

Mommy kissing santa...

Any rediculous childish remix of any Xmas song

Politically Correct Christmas songs

mama's christmas shoes? i don't know the title of the song. it's a kid who loses his mother at christmas. this song makes me want to run out of the store. happy shoppers spend big money. sad shoppers think that christmas sucks and wonder why they are christmas shopping at all.

this is the worst christmas song i've ever heard.

second only to that is any christmas cd by a recent (last decade or so) top forty entertainer or group. think mariah carey, toby keith, backstreet boys, destiny's child, insync, etc.

Definitely agree with you bachanon!! That song is the all-time worst Christmas song, IMHO!! It's so unbelievably CONTRIVED, ick! How stupid do these songwriters think we all are? I guess pretty stupid! :lol:

Has anyone heard that Kenny Loggins song? For four years, Matt and I have been trying to figure out not just the title, but the lyrics (which we could NEVER figure out) and whether or not it's even a Christmas song, LOL!! We finally found out the title is "Celebrate Me Home", and when we read the lyrics, they STILL didn't make any sense to either one of us. It's like a drunk guy put it together. "Give me a number" whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :P

Yes - the Christmas shoes song - I want to puke when it comes on the radio. I quickly change stations on that one. It should definitely be up there at the top of the list for the worst ever Christmas songs. I remember the year it came out - people in my hometown thought it was the greatest thing ever. Fortunately this year I haven't heard it yet - so far.

I tend to prefer more traditional, classical Christmas music - choirs, organs, orchestras, horn ensembles, songs that celebrate the more important things of the season. There's a reason some of those songs have lasted for many decades, and in some cases, more than a century. Honestly, do you think anyone 30 years from now will remember the damn shoes song? But they'll probably still be singing "Silent Night," "O Come All Ye Faithful," "The First Noel" and others.

A Little Christmastime - Paul Mccartney

Kind of catchy but I hate it. It's simply a wonderful..wonderfull Christmastime.

Was watching a Christmas show on Bravo last night and they said that this song was actually recorded during summertime.

I can not help but like it... i mean.... it's Paul McCartney.

My nominations:

Mommy kissing santa...

Any rediculous childish remix of any Xmas song

Politically Correct Christmas songs

I agree with you on these... Especially the "Mommy Kissing Santa" version by Jessica Simpson. Sounds like she is swallowing the mic. :o

Definitely agree with you bachanon!! That song is the all-time worst Christmas song, IMHO!! It's so unbelievably CONTRIVED, ick! How stupid do these songwriters think we all are? I guess pretty stupid! :lol:

Has anyone heard that Kenny Loggins song? For four years, Matt and I have been trying to figure out not just the title, but the lyrics (which we could NEVER figure out) and whether or not it's even a Christmas song, LOL!! We finally found out the title is "Celebrate Me Home", and when we read the lyrics, they STILL didn't make any sense to either one of us. It's like a drunk guy put it together. "Give me a number" whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :P

The worst part of that song for me is that Celebrate Me Home was the big finale number he performed when he was the headliner for one of the Fourth of July celebrations at Eleanor Tinsley Park. So, is it a patriotic song, or a Christmas song? Most likely it's whatever song is needed to make money.

Was watching a Christmas show on Bravo last night and they said that this song was actually recorded during summertime.

I can not help but like it... i mean.... it's Paul McCartney.

I agree with you on these... Especially the "Mommy Kissing Santa" version by Jessica Simpson. Sounds like she is swallowing the mic. :o

I wanted to respond to this sooooooo bad, but my friend martha wrote it, and I want to stay on these boards. So, I will behave myself. I will be officially put on Santa's naughty list now. :lol::lol::(

Edited by TJones

feliz Navidad by Jose Feliciano - oh my god its annoying. and its almost as if someone knows I hate it, because I think I hear it in about every store/ restaurant I go into right now. What a joke.

For poppy Christmas songs, I actually like Lil St. Nick by the beach boys - actually not bad. felt I had to put one positive in this thread since there are a lot of songs to hate.

This will help you remember

All right you Chipmunks! Ready to sing your song?

I'll say we are!

Yeah!

Let's sing it now!

Okay, Simon?

Okay!

Okay, Theodore?

Okay!

Okay, Alvin? Alvin? ALVIN!

OKAY!!!

Christmas, Christmas time is near,

Time for toys and time for cheer,

We've been good, but we can't last

Hurry Christmas, hurry fast,

Want a plane that loops the loop,

Me, I want a hula hoop,

We can hardly stand the wait,

Please Christmas, don't be late.

Okay fellas, get ready.

That was very good, Simon.

Naturally.

Very good Theodore.

Ahkhkhkh.

Ah, Alvin, you were a little flat, watch it.

Ah, Alvin? Alvin. ALVIN!

OKAY!!!

Want a plane that loops the loop,

I still want a hula hoop,

Very good, boys.

Let's sing it again!

Yeah, let's sing it again!

No, That's enough, let's not overdo it.

What do you mean not overdo it?

Overdo it?

We want to sing it again!

Now wait a minute, boys ...

Why can't we sing it again?

chipmunks.gif

Subdude...you had to go and post the lyrics to that damn Chipmunks song? That's just plain sadistic!

I remember as a child being stuck in a store for what seemed like hours, and they had this song on an endless tape....it repeated over, and over, and over, and...

I've never really recovered.

So, let me get this straight. Because this form of uniquely American torture includes the word "Christmas", if Target plays it in their store, Falwell and Robertson will not order a boycott, because this shows Target has not declared war on Christmas?

No wonder I haven't put up a tree. :blink:

I think most original Christmas songs by any popular pop/rock/country/R&B singer/group are pretty cheesy. I own some of those kinds CDs (Mariah Carey, Destiny's Child, even N Sync), which I used to enjoy, but now find them painful and annoying. When it comes to Christmas music, I find myself liking more traditional; orchestral, choral these days. I have a Von Trapp (the real peeps from "The Sound of Music") Christmas CD that I like a lot. It's all a cappella and in several different languages, which I don't understand, but it's really beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...
I think most original Christmas songs by any popular pop/rock/country/R&B singer/group are pretty cheesy. I own some of those kinds CDs (Mariah Carey, Destiny's Child, even N Sync), which I used to enjoy, but now find them painful and annoying. When it comes to Christmas music, I find myself liking more traditional; orchestral, choral these days. I have a Von Trapp (the real peeps from "The Sound of Music") Christmas CD that I like a lot. It's all a cappella and in several different languages, which I don't understand, but it's really beautiful.

John Denver recorded a song entitled, "Please, please, Daddy, don't get drunk this Chrismas

I don't want to see my mommy cry".