I-45 Rebuild (North Houston Highway Improvement Project)

Alamo 1 Demolition started demolishing Temenos Place II.

I had plans to go east of here but the storm changed those. Friend in Deer Park said he lost power twice and it also has hail in it.

JQdsynV.jpeg

KtEsmLF.jpeg

NpzfJzq.jpeg

svPw5Ng.jpeg

0IYOl3v.jpeg

gJ06BrI.jpeg

5qNHgrg.jpeg

TsrG80e.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, hbg.50 said:

I'm still in denial that Kim Son will be demolished?  Have you heard anything? 

The building in which Kim Son is housed will be demolished.  If the family so desires, they will relocate the restaurant and event space to a different (presumably nearby) location.  Haven't been able to find anything about their future plans. Presumably they are deep in negotiations with TxDoT.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

This is a complete guess on my end but I would assume they would simply leave this area. Most of the older Vietnamese restaurants that were in this area and in Midtown are simply gone. Plus, this location is nothing compared to their Chinatown/Bellaire location. Kim Son is the only major Vietnamese buffet in the United States and when people come from out of town to experience that, they never go to the downtown location (not a buffet)... they go to the Bellaire one. The Bellaire location is also famous among Youtubers as well (look it up!). So with that being said, I just doubt seeing the family that owns Kim Son wanting to go through the trouble of buying new land and building it how they want. Lastly, the downtown location is generally dead.

Source: Half my family is Vietnamese.

• Like 5

everyone is worried about Kim Son, the real thing to watch is what Huynh does.

that is a treasure this city may not deserve. go order a #70 before it's too late, cause last time I talked to the owner, they were still deciding whether to give it a go in another location, or just move on with life.

source: I like good food.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2024 at 7:41 PM, hindesky said:

The region’s two major freeways, however, get the most attention. The first half of projects planned as part of the $11.1 billion rebuild of Interstate 45 are included.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/txdot-utp-104b-highway-construction-spending-19714893.php

Imagine what could be done with a hundred billion dollars.

• 2 weeks later...

The first major road work set for downtown Houston related to the $11.2 billion-plus rebuild of the freeway core and Interstate 45 remains on track for next year, but at a cost of $80 million more than expected.

Work could start early next year and last for eight years rebuilding Interstate 69 from Texas 288 to I-45, through Third Ward and Midtown. It is the second of more than 15 Texas Department of Transportation projects encompassing the rebuild of the downtown freeway system and widening of I-45 from downtown north to Beltway 8.

Bids on the project, opened Thursday in Austin, show Houston-based Williams Brothers Construction was the apparent low price, with an offer of $695.5 million. That represents an increase of 13% compared to TxDOT’s estimate of $615.7 million. Webber, the only other company to bid on the job, submitted a bid of $1.254 billion, or more than twice than what state officials estimated.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/txdot-i45-rebuild-cost-freeway-widening-19746038.php

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

The first major road work set for downtown Houston related to the $11.2 billion-plus rebuild of the freeway core and Interstate 45 remains on track for next year, but at a cost of $80 million more than expected.

Work could start early next year and last for eight years rebuilding Interstate 69 from Texas 288 to I-45, through Third Ward and Midtown. It is the second of more than 15 Texas Department of Transportation projects encompassing the rebuild of the downtown freeway system and widening of I-45 from downtown north to Beltway 8.

Bids on the project, opened Thursday in Austin, show Houston-based Williams Brothers Construction was the apparent low price, with an offer of $695.5 million. That represents an increase of 13% compared to TxDOT’s estimate of $615.7 million. Webber, the only other company to bid on the job, submitted a bid of $1.254 billion, or more than twice than what state officials estimated.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/txdot-i45-rebuild-cost-freeway-widening-19746038.php

These construction companies are like insurance companies - milking the system!

“While state transportation officials have said prices are beginning to plateau, large projects in the major metro areas continue receiving bids 10% or higher than officials estimated.”

This was interesting and sobering…

“Work is also scheduled to stop and the road reopened in some form when Houston hosts World Cup games in Summer 2026. The soccer matches, expected to draw tens of thousands, will be at NRG Park, but lead to events in and around downtown.

“We have all of that in the contract,” Mapes said of the event. “We understand what the World Cup is.”

Residents, however, will live with the work for two decades or more. Work is not expected to finish in downtown until 2037, with the planned widening of the freeway to Beltway 8 to add two managed lanes in direction expected to take until 2042 or later.”
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, hindesky said:

I don’t know why they say the rebuild of this segment will last 8 years.  The current timeline shows between 5 and 6.

i think TxDoT messed up by making NHHIP all one “project”, which will encourage Houston whiners (and Houston has more whiners per capita than any city I’ve ever spent time in) to complain about the project taking until 2042 to be completed, as if all segments will be under construction for 17 years.  

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1