John H. Reagan High School/Heights High School At 413 E. 13th St.

heightsfan

Good Afternoon ,

hope your day goes well !

Anyone heard of any development where a conv store was located Mr. M ?

Also out of curiosity did Reagan High just get a make over or

did the school expand onto 13 1/2 ?

Just wondering why the development for that school ?

thank you

"make it a great day"

• Like 1

Reagan HS is getting a $40 million addition and renovation as part of HISD's construction bond referendum. It is the biggest renovation project of any HISD school. They are adding a new building and parking garage, since there is no parking near the school, a courtyard, general renovation of the existing classrooms, and demolition of that hideous cafeteria on the southwest corner of the school.

Oxford Street is being permanently closed, and new athletic fields will go on the east side of the school, I believe. The HISD website has more info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Good Afternoon All

hope your week goes well !

Just wondering if anyone has any insight on the completion date for this school ?

Also are there any plans for student parking lot ?

Next to the school will that be a field or parking lot ?

The original projections were for this summer. Not sure if this is on schedule.

I believe that's a new track and field space on the east side of the school.

Here are some info links, but there's no current progress report on either one.

http://hs.houstonisd.org/ReaganHS/Info/Renovation.htm

http://www.houstonisd.org/portal/site/bond...00028147fa6RCRD

Good Afternoon All

Just wondering if anyone has any insight on the completion date for this school ?

Also are there any plans for student parking lot ?

Next to the school will that be a field or parking lot ?

looks like at least a partial plan is there.

Plan6.jpg

Edited by musicman

My dad, who graduated from Reagan in 1938 told me that Reagan, Milby and Lamar were all three built at the same time as part of a single bond election. Reagan & Milby being carbon copies of each other and Lamar of course being quite different because of it's location at the foot of River Oaks Blvd.

• 2 months later...

I walk by there almost daily. It's really looking sharp (thanks for the pics).

My understanding is that they are not increasing the size of the student body at all. How great for those kids! They will have 2x as much space.

I have heard that Reagan is the technology magnet for Houston! That's pretty impressive...

• 1 month later...
My dad, who graduated from Reagan in 1938 told me that Reagan, Milby and Lamar were all three built at the same time as part of a single bond election. Reagan & Milby being carbon copies of each other and Lamar of course being quite different because of it's location at the foot of River Oaks Blvd.

Reagan looks great! And Lamar seems to be well maintained, but how is Milby?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My late mother graduated from Reagan High in 1933. A few years before she passed away she took me on a driving tour of the Heights showing me all the houses she lived in at one time, all but one of them were still around. I think she would be pleased to know her alma mater is strong once again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good Afternoon ,

Looks like there is demolition near the student

parking lot where the ROTC use to practice.

Is that part of Reagan High as well ?

Any ideas,comments, or feedback what is going in that section ?

Edited by heightsfan

• 2 months later...

Some new clown from our commercial claims department was just in here chatting up my pretty (and very married) associate and said that he worked in his spare time with the "Key Club" and among other things, went to "disadvantaged" schools like Reagan in the Heights. He lives in Sienna Plantation, so "the Heights" came out with a bit of a sneer; said he took his kids past Reagan so they would know that there were places even in Houston where children didn't have the advantages they had....

What.The.Heck????!!!! Last time I drove by Reagan, the remodeling looked pretty darn spiffy. Are the students barefoot and eating corn pone for lunch once they get inside? No computers, just gazintas? (2 gazinta 4 twice, 2 gazinta into 6 three times....)

Some new clown from our commercial claims department was just in here chatting up my pretty (and very married) associate and said that he worked in his spare time with the "Key Club" and among other things, went to "disadvantaged" schools like Reagan in the Heights. He lives in Sienna Plantation, so "the Heights" came out with a bit of a sneer; said he took his kids past Reagan so they would know that there were places even in Houston where children didn't have the advantages they had....

What.The.Heck????!!!! Last time I drove by Reagan, the remodeling looked pretty darn spiffy. Are the students barefoot and eating corn pone for lunch once they get inside? No computers, just gazintas? (2 gazinta 4 twice, 2 gazinta into 6 three times....)

The single biggest renovation project in HISD's bond package was the $40 million spent to bring Reagan High back up to snuff. Since I live just a few blocks south of Reagan, I regularly see the students walk home, and most of them appear to have shoes.

....and 10 bucks says my bungalow is worth more than the "new clown" from Sienna Plantation....not that I'd ever brag about it. ;)

This is the mentality that's holding Houston back.

I've been to Sienna Plantation, seemed like I had to stop twice to refuel my car. That place BLOWS.

Where's Sienna Plantation? Must be outside da loop, because anyone who is anyone lives inside the loop..

/holds nose up high :lol:

Regan is a couple of blocks from my house, and I don't know what it was like before (It was already under renovation when we moved) but it's very nice now. Went to vote there last Nov when the renovation was just about complete..

Now they're completing the track field next door.. Ought to be nice once finally done.. We like taking the path through the school following beverly to walk to berryhill.. ;)

Cheers!

Since my associate didn't swoon and run off to the stock room with him over his concern for the poor underprivileged Heights denizens, I was hoping he'd stay on his floor, but no such luck - he came back around while she was at lunch and asked about transferring his insurance to us. When I informed him that 1) there were no employee discounts and 2) our primary market Chubb required a minimum of $500K replacement cost on the dwelling, he stammered and a-hemmed, and said he'd "get back to us". Do I smell some sour grapes regarding costs for a new 4-bedroom home in the Heights? I write quite a few of them. Dork. :P

Anyway, glad to hear the improvements to Reagan are rolling along. Maybe he thought the exterior was some Potemkin Village thing.

Since my associate didn't swoon and run off to the stock room with him over his concern for the poor underprivileged Heights denizens, I was hoping he'd stay on his floor, but no such luck

Hey, if your very attractive associate ever feels the urge to help poor underprivileged Heights denizens, send her my way. :rolleyes:

Don't think you'd like to tangle with her husband. :lol: I told her she could always do what I did years ago with the Neck Rub Geezer who used to creep up on the ladies and mutter about how tense we looked. Our Chubb rep gave me the coolest little round mirror with a sticky cutout so it fits over the corner of my monitor. Saw Geezer was coming up behind me and got my cup of ice water ready; at the first grope SCREAMED and tossed the water over my shoulder onto him and apologized all over the place - I had just picked up my cup, was concentrating on an account, startled, etc....what a hoot. :P

Don't think you'd like to tangle with her husband. :lol: I told her she could always do what I did years ago with the Neck Rub Geezer who used to creep up on the ladies and mutter about how tense we looked. Our Chubb rep gave me the coolest little round mirror with a sticky cutout so it fits over the corner of my monitor. Saw Geezer was coming up behind me and got my cup of ice water ready; at the first grope SCREAMED and tossed the water over my shoulder onto him and apologized all over the place - I had just picked up my cup, was concentrating on an account, startled, etc....what a hoot. :P

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the most useful thing I've heard in days.

I have a 'Neck Rub Geezer' down the hall. With these nasty old Mr Burns fingers, too. Ick.

There's a closet full of logo'd sitcky mirrors along with all the other logo'd crap. I can't wait to try the ice water trick next time Mr Burns comes into my office and lurks behind me when I'm on a conference call.

Anytime! :D The all-time prize still has to go to the claims manager at my previous agency. She got extremely tired of producers lurking behind her when she was on the phone; reading her memos, picking up stuff on her desk, etc., so she got a deck of cards called "Big Boners" - every card pictured a naked man with....well, you get the idea. Placed the deck face down on the side of her desk - the guys would turn all red and act like they had picked up a live wire. :lol: