UNITi Montrose: Multifamily At 701 Richmond Ave.

CrockpotandGravel

On 4/25/2024 at 8:18 AM, clutchcity94 said:

Spirited discussion about this development happening on Reddit r/Houston: https://www.reddit.com/r/houston/s/9TR4L3oUGn

Almost all of those comments were against this project.

The way I look at it, the price is about a little over average for an apartment, but the selling point is the perks.

I started of my adult life with zero help from anyone. I went to school, worked, socialized and everything in the core without a car. 

If you told me at 18 I could pay just a little over average rent, but all my bills were paid, with cleaning service twice a week and didn't have to worry about long commutes to school and work...I would jump on this in a nanosecond.

My first appt was a shared two bedroom apartment off of Westheimer near Gessner. My portion was $350 a month. Utilities was about another $300. So that's about $650 without the cleaning and kitchen restock. I'm today's dollars you might as well double it. So we are already at the ballpark for this place already at $1300 for a shared room.

But remember I didn't my have my own car then, and getting to UH or my job from my apartment was 30 minutes longer (both ways) than it would from this development. To monetize location let's just factor in commute times 2, times hourly salary, times 25 days. So (30 x 2) = 1 hr x $12/hr x 25 days comes out to $300 per month at the minimum for location. And that was back then. Multiplying by 2, which is on the very conservative side for today's dollars, adds another $600. That puts us close to $2k. 

So yeah, It would definitely be worth it to me if I was 18 and just figuring things out. 

Houston is very spread out, so we place less value on location. But to young folks who are just staying out and limited by transportation, location definitely has value. 

This concept is new to Houston. I hope it does catch on. Maybe future iterations will be more affordable. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

From the front, this looks very post-war Miami Modernism. All it's missing is a beach!

It would really look awesome if they planted some palm trees around it.

Edited by aachor

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to UNITi Montrose: Multifamily At 701 Richmond Ave.
  • 2 weeks later...