Shriners Hospital For Children Demolition At 6977 Main St.

Demolition action shots!

I've never seen a water sprayer that was attached to the end of the excavator.  Usually there is a person holding a watering hose to spray.  Very cool!!

DFAj3qT.jpeg

qmhAcXD.jpeg

8qteV7j.jpeg

Window and glass assembly being taken out:

jcEiUf4.jpeg

Fj5eVnn.jpeg

FDnBuly.jpeg

XLM3qib.jpeg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Shriners Hospital For Children Demolition At 6977 Main St.
On 6/4/2024 at 8:53 AM, urbanize713 said:

What is going in its place? 

A TMC executive told me they have not finalized their plans and are not ready to go public yet.

Most likely, temporarily, it will become revenue-generating parking. Either a surface parking lot or a parking garage.

Demolition photos from yesterday:

UfyqNop.jpeg

g1mL9Jc.jpeg

DwQjRii.jpeg

sbZuyWy.jpeg

xJHGyNs.jpeg

MrHf6yK.jpeg

Demolition progress from yesterday.

There were rumors of TMC building a new parking garage.  This would be the perfect site, and situation! However, the main TMC hospitals are further up on Main and Fannin.  Not sure how a garage and Main and Holcombe would benefit.

Eh0o0EZ.jpeg

I6zLjux.jpeg

RjO51TE.jpeg

1FT46Wj.jpeg

HBFryqE.jpeg

• Like 1

They are working half a day on Sunday according to the guy directing traffic, Main St. is closed northbound and cars have to turn left or right on Pressler St.

I noticed the shear spraying water to cut down on the dust.

tuLvQJq.jpeg

DvSIjeX.jpeg

d5RWBsZ.jpeg

• Like 1

Looking around Ebay I noticed a souvenir coffee mug from Shriners TMC.  The building was dedicated June 9th, 1996.  Very short life span for a hospital in the TMC. Makes me wonder the long term goals for this site valuable site.

Demolition progress from today. Twice now I have seen this development named in plural, with an S at the end. Shriners Hospitals for Children.

GCjZmmM.jpeg

NEFGc1X.jpeg

OPTDJBa.jpeg

pXvuM4K.jpeg

c7C63nn.jpeg

Building signage before it get demolished!

D5TUl4V.jpeg

qBUXGgA.jpeg

• Like 2

Can someone explain to me the logic of the "slow" demo like this, versus something like an implosion?  We are at least 3 months in now, so seems pretty bizarre to me.  Is there something about this building (and that old Shell building on OST) that makes implosion impractical?  There has been a crew literally chewing away at this building for months now...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OkieEric said:

Can someone explain to me the logic of the "slow" demo like this, versus something like an implosion?  We are at least 3 months in now, so seems pretty bizarre to me.  Is there something about this building (and that old Shell building on OST) that makes implosion impractical?  There has been a crew literally chewing away at this building for months now...

I'm not sure but having done design work for many projects in the TMC it might be because some of the extremely sensitive instruments and devices in the hospitals may not do well with vibrations caused by implosions. Besides, as fun as they are to watch, implosions are VERY dusty. Who knows what may be in that dust from a medical facility.

I do agree though that is seems to be taking an overly long period to demolish this building even though it is a large one.

Edited by Specwriter
added content
  • Thanks 1

• The topic was pinned