The Pointe At Bayou Bend: Affordable Housing At 800 Middle St.

BeerNut

I find it hilarious that all of the issues presented only affect the affordable housing. Somehow the million dollar townhomes surrounding the lot are unaffected by these issues. And he never even mentioned the radio tower (of terror).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, phillip_white said:

I find it hilarious that all of the issues presented only affect the affordable housing. Somehow the million dollar townhomes surrounding the lot are unaffected by these issues. And he never even mentioned the radio tower (of terror).

Honestly, if there is truth to this, then they probably are, but the biggest difference there is private vs. publicly owned property. Additionally, if contamination is present, this is about preventing further exposure. You cannot go back in time and not occupy what is already there, unless you have a time machine. If you have a time machine, let me know, i would like to use it. If there is contamination on the surrounding properties, these homeowners would potentially have a lawsuit against the developer for not disclosing this if they had reason to know or should have discovered this prior to development. 

Edited by I'm Not a Robot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 6/18/2024 at 8:52 PM, phillip_white said:

More like $400K-$500K townhomes.  Lead and dioxin laced land isn't worth all that much, apparently.

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy

• 3 weeks later...

Mayor John Whitmire sent the chair of the Houston Housing Authority board a letter Friday morning, asking the organization to hold off on leasing a nearly complete, 398-unit affordable housing complex along Buffalo Bayou East. The Pointe at Bayou Bend had been expected to begin leasing this fall and to be fully occupied by December, according to housing authority documents.

"I am greatly concerned with the possibility of residents moving into the apartments at this time," Whitmire said in his letter. 

He cited the discovery, near the apartments at 800 Middle St., of waste from the days when the city incinerated trash in the area. He said the ash found on HHA-owned land north of the apartments contained lead. The ash led to four environmental violations issued by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality; those are still outstanding, the commission said June 26 in an emailed statement. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/housing/article/whitmire-hha-800-middle-pointe-at-bayou-bend-ash-19584884.php

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, hindesky said:

This isn't the first time the environmental issue has been raised. See @BeerNut's post from 2021.

On 4/14/2021 at 12:53 PM, BeerNut said:
  • Like 1

Houston Mayor John Whitmire has requested the Houston Housing Authority (HHA) place a "temporary halt" on housing plans for The Pointe at Bayou Bend apartment complex at 800 Middle Street.

The Texas Commission for Environmental Quality (TCEQ) cited HHA for violations after ash was found on the property including failure to have a representative sample of the ash waste pile and failure to ensure the prevention of an imminent threat of discharge of industrial solid waste.

TCEQ will not sign off on the certificate of occupancy till the violations are resolved.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/temporary-halt-east-houston-affordable-183517924.html

• Like 2