1111-1201 Westheimer Rd.

VelvetJ

On 1/8/2024 at 2:56 PM, Specwriter said:

Gene, I should have mentioned the Alabama Theater/Bookstop in context for those who may be new to the city. Thanks for the clarification. I visited the Alabama several times when it was a movie theater and a bookstore. I stopped in Trader Joe's once when it first opened but not since.

I cannot say if I ever saw a "picture show" at the Tower Theater though I did see "The Girl in a Swing" starring Meg Tilly at the River Oaks when it was released in 1988.

Went to see the Diana Awards at the Tower theater, but never a movie. Not sure when they stopped showing cinema there?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ddg said:

Went to see the Diana Awards at the Tower theater, but never a movie. Not sure when they stopped showing cinema there?

According to comments at Cinema Treasures, it was renovated into a live-performance venue in 1978. There's also a list of films that played there that covers from 1960 up until the end of 1975. It's not clear if they screened any films between the end of 1975 and the renovation in 1978. 

• Like 1

I talked with a guy who will be doing the metalwork on the renovations for this project, he mentioned planter boxes on the ground and elevated ones. He said he has done lots of work for Radom before.

zpK8rxR.jpeg

qxjGAXW.jpeg

Adam & Eve is out.

BRuIDC4.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Work has started on the old Adam & Eve. I stopped to talk with 2 sets of people inside, one was the crew doing the work and the other 4 were looking over the site for a possible restaurant.

eI1RCJm.jpeg

EbPePIU.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the leasing brochures, Nando's will be taking over one of the slots broken out from the old Copy place. Based on old info, it seems like the Acme location is still available. It'll be interesting to see what they put in the Acme spot, since that's really the pièce de résistance for this location. Nando's should also be a big draw, though!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, bookey23 said:

Based on the leasing brochures, Nando's will be taking over one of the slots broken out from the old Copy place. Based on old info, it seems like the Acme location is still available. It'll be interesting to see what they put in the Acme spot, since that's really the pièce de résistance for this location. Nando's should also be a big draw, though!

Glad to see more elevated fast casual in Montrose! We need more places like Lua Viet and Nando’s!

• Like 1

On 9/3/2024 at 1:29 PM, hindesky said:

On 9/4/2024 at 10:14 AM, bookey23 said:

CultureMap published an article today about Nando's coming to Radom Capital's 1111 Westheimer development.

The forthcoming Montrose outpost of Nando's will be located at 1201 Westheimer Rd, Suite G.

From the article:

Scheduled to open in mid-2025... the 3,100-square-foot restaurant will seat approximately 80 people inside and 30 on a tree-shaded patio... Notably, Nando’s is the first new tenant for the property at 1111 Westheimer since Houston developer Radom Capital acquired it earlier this year. 

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/nandos-peri-peri-montrose-location/

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

Nando's Peri-Peri is set to open mid-2025 next door to the vacant Tower Theatre in Montrose. 

The South African restaurant is the first new business announced for the strip next to the old theater that's being revamped by Radom Capital, the developer behind the nearby Montrose Collective. Nando's will move into what was part of a Copy.com shop at 1111 Westheimer. 

In a 3,100 square-foot space, Nando's will have indoor seating for 84 people and a patio will be able to host another 34. The fast-casual restaurant is known for its 24-hour marinated flame-grilled chicken. This will be the third Nando's in the Houston area and the first in the inner Loop. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/nandos-tower-theater-houston-19748063.php

• Like 1