METRORapid Inner Katy Corridor

HouTXRanger

Metro spending dips as board focuses on now, major projects later (houstonchronicle.com)

Well, it looks like the Inner Katy Project is saved (not de-scoped) for now. 

"Officials also, in the 2025 budget, previously called for de-scoping the planned Inner Katy rapid transit project along Interstate 10. Calling some of those specifics premature, Metro revised its draft budget earlier this week to strip many of the project details, opting for a budget and business plan that only outlined plans for general programs and not individual projects beyond 2025. 

As a result, the 274-page budget, replete with appendixes, became simply the 57-page executive summary, removing details of any changes to the I-10 project and other initiatives included in the MetroNext program voters approved in 2019. Officials plan to spend $3.6 million continuing development of the rapid transit project, but that includes studying whether it can be used a solution to upcoming construction on I-10's main lanes."

Seems like the rest of the budget is mainly focused on frequency and purchasing new buses (a majority of METRO's fleet is from 2008-2014). Another big one is safety, huge increase in the security budget. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more roadway asphalt work too. 

If you want Inner Katy, continue to submit public comments and voice your support for the project.

On 9/13/2024 at 9:51 AM, j.33 said:

Metro spending dips as board focuses on now, major projects later (houstonchronicle.com)

Well, it looks like the Inner Katy Project is saved (not de-scoped) for now. 

"Officials also, in the 2025 budget, previously called for de-scoping the planned Inner Katy rapid transit project along Interstate 10. Calling some of those specifics premature, Metro revised its draft budget earlier this week to strip many of the project details, opting for a budget and business plan that only outlined plans for general programs and not individual projects beyond 2025. 

As a result, the 274-page budget, replete with appendixes, became simply the 57-page executive summary, removing details of any changes to the I-10 project and other initiatives included in the MetroNext program voters approved in 2019. Officials plan to spend $3.6 million continuing development of the rapid transit project, but that includes studying whether it can be used a solution to upcoming construction on I-10's main lanes."

Seems like the rest of the budget is mainly focused on frequency and purchasing new buses (a majority of METRO's fleet is from 2008-2014). Another big one is safety, huge increase in the security budget. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more roadway asphalt work too. 

If you want Inner Katy, continue to submit public comments and voice your support for the project.

So they're saving the one that's designed to fail, but not the University Line or Gulfton extension? Lovely.

If "focused on frequency" makes more routes high-frequency (i.e. less than 10min), then I'll take it, but golly.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, 004n063 said:

So they're saving the one that's designed to fail, but not the University Line or Gulfton extension? Lovely.

If "focused on frequency" makes more routes high-frequency (i.e. less than 10min), then I'll take it, but golly.

I thought Gulfton was moving forward

11 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I thought Gulfton was moving forward

It is, but the dedicated bus lane (in both directions) on Gulfton Drive seems to be pulled from the plans. They are either looking at it running in mixed traffic (which negatively impacts on time performance) or sharing a dedicated lane bi-directional (which restrains frequency)

image.png.135c6a2d61d2a2f1ddc95ccecdcafacf.png