Connect Highstar: Affordable Housing At 6440 Hillcroft Ave.

Highrise Tower

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Connect South Apartments: Multifamily On Hillcroft Ave. In Gulfton
  • The title was changed to Connect South Apartments: Affordable Housing In Gulfton
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Connect South Apartments: Affordable Housing At 6440 Hillcroft Ave.
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Connect Highstar: Affordable Housing At 6440 Hillcroft Ave.
On 11/20/2020 at 8:29 PM, zaphod said:

I guess its still good to see underutilized buildings get replaced with something newer and larger in a part of town that hasn't seen much development in decades.

I think this area is just ready to take off!

I was on a team that transformed the old Mercury/Buick dealership into what is now HGreg and I think we are likely to see a transformation of Gulfton in the coming years. It's an area prime for redevelopment... It's close to the Galleria and relatively close to downtown and the Greenway area, plus there are so many older apartment complexes that can be bought out that I think it's just a matter of time until Greystar and others start buying up land here. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Triton said:

plus there are so many older apartment complexes that can be bought out that I think it's just a matter of time until Greystar and others start buying up land here. 

Feel like this is walking the along the lines of gentrification. Gulfton is the densest part of Houston and probably the most diverse part as well. A lot of those apartments might have multiple generations of a family in one unit. I get it would be nice to see a lot of new shiny buildings here, but we need to be reminded of the existing residents and how that will impact them. I am fine if those older apartments get redeveloped into newer AFFORDABLE housing developments. 

I am all for redevelopment of the warehouses and strip centers in Gulfton, but I do have some concern with the idea of all the very dense apartments being redeveloped into things beyond the current residents' price range. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, j.33 said:

Feel like this is walking the along the lines of gentrification. Gulfton is the densest part of Houston and probably the most diverse part as well. A lot of those apartments might have multiple generations of a family in one unit. I get it would be nice to see a lot of new shiny buildings here, but we need to be reminded of the existing residents and how that will impact them. I am fine if those older apartments get redeveloped into newer AFFORDABLE housing developments. 

I am all for redevelopment of the warehouses and strip centers in Gulfton, but I do have some concern with the idea of all the very dense apartments being redeveloped into things beyond the current residents' price range. 

Gentrification is happening all across Houston and will continue. Most of the wards have already started the process of being gentrified. This happens in almost all big cities and is honestly an important part to progress in my opinion. Most of these areas have a high crime rate, bad infrastructure, and other disadvantages. There's both good and bad in gentrification. I agree that it affects the low income in an unfair manner however, when living within the 4th biggest city in America these things need to happen. Just look at NYC and all the surrounding neighborhoods they had to gentrify to progress the city and introduce wealthier and educated people. If Brooklyn and Manhattan were kept the way they were years ago the young middle-class professionals would have had to find other places outside of the city to live. Within the west side of the 610 loop its mostly being filled and now the city is focusing on eado, third ward, and fifth ward to meet housing demands. And after the 610 loop is all filled, the city will need to expand beyond it as the population continues to grow which will cause gentrification. So, at the end of the day, it can't be avoided and in my opinion is better for the overall economy of the city.

Edited by Renaissance1999
  • Like 4

Agreed @Renaissance1999. Yeah, gentrification is inevitable and most of the time I do support the idea of new development happening. All I was trying to point out is that it is way more complex than just saying Greystar should look into building their next development here. Like I said, would be happy to see it happening with the vacant warehouses and run down strip centers in Gulfton. But I will point out the slippery slope that comes with wishing that. Additionally, it is not like all of those apartments are just sitting around vacant. Gulfton is the densest neighborhood in Houston. It would be a pretty big ordeal for all of those residents to find new affordable homes if a company like Greystar or Camden begins to come in and just build developments meant for a different income bracket. 

In response to your statement:

17 minutes ago, Renaissance1999 said:

neighborhoods they had to gentrify to progress the city and introduce wealthier and educated people.

Gulfton already is changing with positive impacts on its current residents with infrastructure improvements like the METRO BRT and new park Pct 4 is spear heading so I wouldn't necessarily say you need to have gentrification to have new progress for a community. Gulfton also has a very strong neighborhood group and activist group fighting to make the community safer and more livable for its current residents. 

I support all progress and development in the city, but still want to be mindful how we talk about existing communities and the people who live in those communities right now. 

5 hours ago, j.33 said:

Just be happy TXDOT isn't running a freeway in the middle of the neighborhood. 

Ironically all those apartments used to be "nice." 

Most of us will be dead and buried before that area is gentrified.   Don't worry about it. 

11 hours ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

“Beautiful Southwest Houston!” 

Great find!  My memory of that area in the 80s was knocking on doors with my church at all those apartments.  It was full of Salvadoran refugees by then.