Allen Parkway

Looks like Allen Parkway is slowly becoming the Death Trap again. Of course, the people who died on Monday were less than safe drivers. Riding with a child on your lap?

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/front/2846656

Here's a picture of the origianl death trap back in the day, back when it was called Buffalo Bayou drive.

1929_buffalo_drive.jpg

• Like 1

Hate to keep beating the same tired drum, but Houston drivers are terrible. The prevailing style of driving is to step on the gas until you reach a red light; then run the red light.

Because there are so few traffic lights on Allen Parkway, and because it's a limited access road, some motorists just assume you can treat it the same as a freeway.

The idea of negotiating curves and hills, and taking into account prevailing conditions seems foreign to all too many people.

What a shame the problems on Allen Parkway can't be blamed on light rail.... :rolleyes:

Lowering the speed limit from 40 to 35 will not have much of an effect. Houston drivers don't follow speed limits. I was driving about 45 there the other day and got passed up by someone doing at least 65. I'm surprised there aren't more accidents on that road.

That lady was a complete moron. it wasn't the first time she had the child in her lap while driving. My parents used to drive around the neighborhood with me on their laps to steer, but never on a busy city street.

pick up the latest houston press (with the current.gif

and there's a cartoon making fun of Houston drivers near the Galleria. HILARIOUS!!! :D

Please...the parkway is nothing but sheer delight for a capable driver, and the access control and grade separations make it quite obvious that the intent of the road is to move people from point A to point B swiftly. What happened Monday is nothing more than natural selection in action.

If you can't stand the curves, stay off the parkway.

jm1fd,

I agree, AP is an ABSOLUTE thrill to drive but you have to be an experienced driver and know your own limits when you do it. That's the thing I noticed over the past couple of years that people drive like nuts when they don't know their limits or don't know the proper limits to do so.

I look foward to driving down AP when I can...usually at 70-90mph. :unsure:

God help me if I ever has the opportunity to drive a sports car down that road.

Ricco

I learned to drive on the hilly, twisting roads of the Finger Lakes in upstate NY, and absolutely understand and agree that Allen Parkway poses a real temptation to drive fast. But I think original intent when it was built - or converted from Buffalo Drive - was to be a parkway, a scenic route where one could drive leisurely, enjoy the scenery and not have the distractions of stop signs, driveways and intersections. According to my mother, who grew up in the 20's, 30 mph was considered pretty darn fast in those days.

Personally, I'd prefer sharper turns, more trees and a 30 mph speed limit. It's a parkway, not a speedway. Return it to its intended purpose.