Project Green: Mixed-Use Development On Allen Parkway By Hines

editor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2024 at 12:55 PM, hindesky said:

I saw that the little pocket park above the stormwater detention vault will be a tiny soccer field.

Where did you find that information? I have been trying to find out more about the park that will go on top.

They've made some progress on the detention vault

PXL_20240415_183934664.MP.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zachhke said:

Where did you find that information? I have been trying to find out more about the park that will go on top.

They've made some progress on the detention vault

PXL_20240415_183934664.MP.jpg

I saw a little story about it, I should have posted it when I saw it but didn't and now I can't find it.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like SCI and Harvey will be creating a plat for the new HQ's after withdrawing the previous one a while back according to the email I got from the Temple Terrace Project.

"On Friday, May 24, 2024, as required by city ordinance, signs will be posted around the property owned by SCI notifying the public of an upcoming Planning Commission Meeting. The commission will review SCI’s application to replat their properties into a single reserve.   Residents within 200 feet of the property will also receive a letter from the City of Houston notifying them of the meeting.

The hearing will take place at the Planning Commission meeting on June 13, 2024."

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to inform you of several upcoming construction activities and associated traffic changes in our neighborhood.

Allen Parkway Closure: 

Beginning June 14, the eastbound lane on Allen Parkway will be closed for repaving (Green Line).

Stanford Street Repaving:

June 24 - 28: The southbound lane of Stanford Street to McKinney Street will be closed for repaving (Blue Line).

July 1 - 8: The northbound lane of Stanford Street to McKinney Street will be closed for repaving (Red Line).

Please note that we will be closing one lane at a time to allow traffic to pass.

Independence Day Holiday: 

We will not be working on July 4 - 5 in observance of the Independence Day holiday.

We understand that these activities may cause inconvenience, and we sincerely appreciate your patience and cooperation as we work to improve our community’s infrastructure. If you have any questions or concerns regarding these updates, please feel free to contact us directly.

• Like 2

The staff wanted to approve the plat but the commissioners wanted more info on the abandonment of a portion of Temple Dr. so it was deferred. Temple Dr. is proposed to be abandoned north of Walker St. and between the current HQ of SCI and their parking garage towards Taft St.(which both will be coming down after completion of the new HQ's). The applicant surveyor company was ill prepared to show diagrams of the abandoned portion of the street but will provide it at the next meeting.

Two neighbors spoke against it must mostly because of the current construction that is affecting access to their homes and street closures. That construction really has nothing to do with the variance request. The current construction is on the stormwater and sewer improvements for this area not on the proposed plat.

When and if Hines develops the old HQ and parking garage they will provide access to that future development.

6o9MhG0.png

BQD94Cg.jpeg

esZikoS.jpeg

9Po8B3W.jpeg

z11F6Kz.jpeg

WPFaieg.png

LBQ5UPr.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 10:28 AM, hindesky said:

reddit u/FoolForReddit posted this pic during Harvey, he states he used to work here for KHOU CBS11.

qNnD6Uv.jpeg

Sorry for replying to an old post, but I can confirm that's how KHOU looked on a number of occasions.  I wasn't there all that long, and it flooded like that at least four times.

I can't imagine how much money Belo spent renovating that newsroom and studio over and over.  IIRC, the control room and ENR/ENG area was elevated because of the cable raceways, so that equipment was safe.  But they ripped out the walls over and over and over again.

I remember the first time I saw it flood.  We were on the air, and watching the water from the bayou slowly creep up the driveway, into the loading dock, and into the studio.  I don't remember the water ever knocking us off the air, though.  There was a generator for long-term outages, and rows and rows of car batteries on shelving units to keep things running until the generator could get up to speed.

After the second big flood when I was there, Belo decided not to rebuild the private showers for the anchors.  Only one was mad, though, because he was the only one who used it because he rode his bicycle to work most days.

I'm sure that Hines of whomever is spending a crap-ton of money on flood mitigation for this property, but I wouldn't go near it with a ten meter cattleprod.  You can't fight the bayou from that close.  

Another piece of advice: Bullet-proof windows on the first floor.  People in Houston like to shoot at TV stations as they drive by, and KHOU was a duck in a barrel with Allen Parkway right there.  I'm sure not everyone knows or cares that the station moved.

/OldManRant: off

I have been attempting to open a discussion with the City planning office about this very topic for ages.
After the 6 hour rains of Beryl, it was obvious to see that the drainage work that has been ongoing has in fact made flooding occur quicker across Allen Parkway. Like it says, you can't fight the Bayou and allowing a more efficient run-off only adds to the bayou level.
If Beryl had been moving slower, the water would have been halfway up Stanford Street.... another 4 hours I would guess and homes would have started to flood. And of course flood whatever SCI build there.
Building there is the dumbest idea, its a natural dip. I can't believe someone from the City engineering office hasn't stepped in.

Another concern is that the extra volume of concrete they intend to put there will only make water levels higher in the surrounding area. It's simple physics.
I'm hoping to speak to someone about my concerns soon, but I encourage anyone else in Bufflao Terrace, Temple, Stanford and W McKinney Streets to do the same.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jerry H said:

Another concern is that the extra volume of concrete they intend to put there will only make water levels higher in the surrounding area. It's simple physics.

While I think I understand your concern, I'm not sure this building will make any difference.

To me, it doesn't look like it's covering any more land than KHOU did.  And more importantly, there's no way that amount of land could absorb enough water quickly enough to prevent any flooding.  Even a basic thunderstorm would wash over it and into the bayou, let alone a good Texas possum-stomper.

All I can think is that people building these towers along Allen Parkway are doing so in a manner where the entire first floor can be sacrificed and hosed out every couple of years.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, editor said:

Another piece of advice: Bullet-proof windows on the first floor.  People in Houston like to shoot at TV stations as they drive by, and KHOU was a duck in a barrel with Allen Parkway right there.  

Wait, what?

21 minutes ago, freundb said:

Wait, what?

It's a thing.  Or, at least it was back then.  But not unique to that station, or that location.  

At one time, the newsroom had reporter offices all along the windows facing Allen Parkway.  One morning, around 3am, someone drove by and shot at the station, as they sometimes do.  It was the first time it happened when I was there, and everyone was all blasé about it, saying it happens all the time.  

But this time the bullet was more on target than usual, and when one of the reporters came in in the morning, there was a bullet on his desk.  After the next flood and newsroom renovation, that area was converted into a conference room.

12 hours ago, editor said:

It's a thing.  Or, at least it was back then.  But not unique to that station, or that location.  

At one time, the newsroom had reporter offices all along the windows facing Allen Parkway.  One morning, around 3am, someone drove by and shot at the station, as they sometimes do.  It was the first time it happened when I was there, and everyone was all blasé about it, saying it happens all the time.  

But this time the bullet was more on target than usual, and when one of the reporters came in in the morning, there was a bullet on his desk.  After the next flood and newsroom renovation, that area was converted into a conference room.

Not unique to that station. Seen bullet holes at KPRC on 59 during a visit and CW 39 on Westpark from the road. That was a few years ago. Last I've heard of people shooting at a building was the Amegy Bank Tower on 610.

Really hoping there is a good night scheme for this building. Not the best location for flooding, but it's beach front property.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Not unique to that station. Seen bullet holes at KPRC on 59 during a visit and CW 39 on Westpark from the road. That was a few years ago. Last I've heard of people shooting at a building was the Amegy Bank Tower on 610.

Really hoping there is a good night scheme for this building. Not the best location for flooding, but it's beach front property.

Is this a Houston thing? I don't understand why you're shooting at a building in the first place, but a news station of all places?

Is this the city equivalent of rural folk shooting highway signs?

• 4 weeks later...