11th Street Bike Lanes

18 minutes ago, BeerNut said:

This administration is determined to withhold records.

Wasn’t the report published?  Did you read it?  Have you heard of the law of small numbers?

There is something in that report for everyone.  Fewer accidents, more cyclists (on the one day they were tracking), longer commute times, more traffic and increased speeds on 10th and 12th streets.  

The most notable thing I read was that concerns of Emergency personnel were addressed and they no longer had an issue with the setup. That’s the relevant point IMO.

22 minutes ago, hbg.50 said:

Wasn’t the report published?  Did you read it?  Have you heard of the law of small numbers?

There is something in that report for everyone.  Fewer accidents, more cyclists (on the one day they were tracking), longer commute times, more traffic and increased speeds on 10th and 12th streets.  

The most notable thing I read was that concerns of Emergency personnel were addressed and they no longer had an issue with the setup. That’s the relevant point IMO.

Driving the news: Whitmire's administration last week declined to release the report to Heights resident and safe streets advocate Emmanuel Núñez, who had requested it under open-records laws in February.

• The administration immediately asked the Texas Attorney General's Office for an opinion on withholding the document, which city attorneys argued was allowed under state law since the document was related to policymaking and was in a draft stage.

In May, the AG's office agreed that the city could withhold the document if it would eventually be released in its final form, according to a copy of the letter shared with Axios.

Yes, but: The mayor's office, when Axios asked this week, wouldn't say if or when the final report would be released.

For a mayor that touted how transparent he would be why does he keep running to AG's office to withhold information.  Yes he released a preliminary report.  Maybe he needs more time to finesse the final report to say the higher speeds on nearby streets isn't worth it and our broke city will be spending millions to rip out the changes on 11th street.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BeerNut said:

For a mayor that touted how transparent he would be why does he keep running to AG's office to withhold information.  Yes he released a preliminary report.  Maybe he needs more time to finesse the final report to say the higher speeds on nearby streets isn't worth it and our broke city will be spending millions to rip out the changes on 11th street.

Yeah I think between the time that Nunez requested the report and then Axios requested it the administration decided it wasn’t going to publish a final report so they just released the report to Axios? 

I think the important thing is Jay got ahold of it and the media is running with it. Even if Whitmire were to come back and try to finesse this, he would receive some serious backlash. Not to mention the city proclaimed the I Love 11th St Festival, so these are all good things. On a side note, a little birdie told me Telephone Road is moving forward. Keep speaking up folks. Every email counts, every city council session counts, every social media post counts. 

• Like 3

• The topic was pinned