METRORapid University Corridor

BeerNut

53 minutes ago, j.33 said:

And keep in mind, all of the METRONext projects (University Corridor BRT, Inner Katy BRT, and Gulfton BRT) had monthly updates every month for the METRO Board for the past 2-3 years up until March or April 2024, which is right after Chair Brock was appointed. METRO had been working very hard on all three of these projects up until then...

And they appear to have been sleep-walking towards insolvency, which would have required cuts to bus service in order to pay for the BRT lines etc.  I encourage everyone to watch yesterday’s board committee meeting.  
https://ridemetro.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=7&clip_id=2621

As others have mentioned above, I do wish they would look at proceeding with the core section of the U-Line, at the very least from Wheeler Station to connect with the Silver Line.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

And they appear to have been sleep-walking towards insolvency, which would have required cuts to bus service in order to pay for the BRT lines etc.  I encourage everyone to watch yesterday’s board committee meeting.  
https://ridemetro.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=7&clip_id=2621

As others have mentioned above, I do wish they would look at proceeding with the core section of the U-Line, at the very least from Wheeler Station to connect with the Silver Line.

I agree if they don't build the whole thing at minimum the inner loop should be completed.  Not sure if if it's possible but maybe some partnership between the TIRZs and METRO to improve transit inside the loop is the only way this will get done.  I doubt current mayor and METRO board members he appointed will allow something like this.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

not an easy thing to solve, but I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

METRO needs to be folded into HCTRA. for every dollar spent on toll roads they should be forced to spend some amount on buses and BRT and LRT.

• Like 5

On 7/12/2024 at 11:44 AM, samagon said:

METRO needs to be folded into HCTRA. for every dollar spent on toll roads they should be forced to spend some amount on buses and BRT and LRT.

That will never happen. The state, and some current local, powers hate rail and bus and just want to build roads. I don't see Metro or HCTRA ever giving up their own empires, either, and the Legislature won't do anything about. 

Can you imagine the damage done by exploding heads if toll road money was ever used for mass transit?

• Haha 1

On 7/12/2024 at 11:44 AM, samagon said:

If that happened, it expect the HCTRA would end up getting Metro money, not the other way around.

It seems to me that Metro being an island is the only thing keeping it from being shut down entirely.