Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

Does anyone know how they are going to make the lake or part of the lake frozen for ice skating in the winter? Do they actually freeze the lake or put something over it which is then covered in ice?

I'm going to speculate that there's no way they can afford to freeze that lake.

I went to Hermann park today, wondering if the crowds at Disco G would take some of the pressure off. No dice. Hermann & the zoo were packed again this weekend.

I'm going to speculate that there's no way they can afford to freeze that lake.

They have already stated that the lake, or part of it, will be frozen in the winter. I don't know if they installed ice making equipment beforehand, or if it is installed on a temporary basis, but it will happen.

I do wish the park could have extended a little further north (it is a little small), to occupy almost all of the space in front of GRB. Then there could have been more available lots to build high-rise residential.

As it is, essentially all of the surrounding lots are spoken for... if the city decides to build a new convention hotel and the Embassy Suites gets built.

Is it possible to move that block of power generators at the Southwest corner, right across from the proposed Embassy site? It seems a waste of space, and really is kind of jarring to look at.

That big surface lot directly to the north is going to be a convention center hotel. Tell me, how will there be more room for highrise residential if the park takes up more land?

I read in the Chron that Mayor White said the following:

"This is a pure urban park that will have programs every day. It will have more intense activities than our other parks," said White...

The idea of having programs every day seems to me like a great way to keep this place active. I heard they are going to have a recycling drop off on weekends, which I am definitely going to use.

They have already stated that the lake, or part of it, will be frozen in the winter. I don't know if they installed ice making equipment beforehand, or if it is installed on a temporary basis, but it will happen.

I found a quote from DG:

"Starting in Fall 2008, ice skating will return to downtown Houston when the model boat basin of Kinder Lake will be transformed for the holidays into a magnificent outdoor ice skating rink."

The model boat basin is described as "a shallow pool".

That big surface lot directly to the north is going to be a convention center hotel. Tell me, how will there be more room for highrise residential if the park takes up more land?

I was specifically referring to development of land directly adjacent to the park... which no longer exists if the convention hotel and ES are built. By increasing the size of the park, you would increase the perimeter of the park, which would increase the amount of adjacent lots available to attract new highrises (a la One Park Place). Doesn't seem too difficult of a concept...

Edited by wernicke

Well, I drove by the place a couple of hours ago and it seems like there will be at least one squad car keeping an eye on the place. Of course, for all I know he was there filling out paperwork.

The schedule on here is very impressive, my only complaint is that it doesn't offer a Tai Chi event (which I'm sure someone will do on their own after awhile) or a movie event. Being an old movie buff, I would LOVE to see some old movies that only TCM upon occasion.

Nice park! What other land do you guys think exists for another similar park? I was thinking somewhere along the LRT line along the East End.

There's a huge green space at the south end of the Light Rail line that would be a great spot for a park! Maybe even an amusement pa...... oh, damn.

We walked over to the park yesterday with our son and found it to be great! Frankly, in my 13 years in Houston I saw more people downtown than at any other time. The park should prove to be a catalyst for helping downtown improve to a level commensurate with a city of Houston's size and importance. This is something that we should be very proud of. Just keep the homeless out; and parents please keep an eye on your kids. I nearly fainted when I saw parents allowing their kids to climb on the Debuffet sculpture. Come on people...really.

The schedule on here is very impressive, my only complaint is that it doesn't offer a Tai Chi event (which I'm sure someone will do on their own after awhile) or a movie event. Being an old movie buff, I would LOVE to see some old movies that only TCM upon occasion.

Did you miss the MFAH films listed in that email? I'm definitely taking my daughter to The Red Balloon.

Just keep the homeless out...

Yes! Please bring a recent mortgage statement when visiting Disco Green!

and parents please keep an eye on your kids. I nearly fainted when I saw parents allowing their kids to climb on the Debuffet sculpture. Come on people...really.

Did they put it where kids can climb on it?

There was a Rockets game and Astro's game yesterday which made the crowds around that area even more so.

Yesterday at 4pm after working out, I decided to not take my normal jogging route home, instead I jogged to the new park. WOW is all I have to say. I have never seen that many people in downtown other than the Super Bowl. I thought about doing a few laps around the park, but there were just to many people. I went this morning at 6am and not a soul to be found!

Yes! Please bring a recent mortgage statement when visiting Disco Green!

Give me a break...you know what I mean. There's no reason to be glib.

Did they put it where kids can climb on it?

Yes, they did. Pretty bone headed if you think about it. Time to put up a fence...

Unless they try to bathe in the fountains. That's my primary concern.

But you didn't say "keep people from bathing in the fountans"; you said "keep the homeless out". You can see how I got the impression you wantd to keep homeless people out of Disco Green, right?

But you didn't say "keep people from bathing in the fountans"; you said "keep the homeless out". You can see how I got the impression you wantd to keep homeless people out of Disco Green, right?

Oh, that was my first post regarding the homeless.

In any case, the homeless aren't a problem. What if there are drunk yuppies crawling around the boat pond?

I know what you mean, that's why I was glib. I think homeless people deserve the same access to public parks as homed people.

Not to the extent they essentially take over the park and start camping, etc. "Use" is one thing but the homeless generally take it to the next level to the exclusion of others. Where's the fairness in that? Taxpayers (you know, the one's that generally fund parks and such) should be able to use a park without the negative impacts that often accompany the homeless onslaught. The homeless are ruining Midtown.

Instead of keeping the homeless people out lets keep the smelly dirty people who ask me for money out. That should do it.

Instead of keeping the homeless people out lets keep the smelly dirty people who ask me for money out. That should do it.

i'm confident this park will be patrolled, how the other areas in downtown/midtown end up is another story esp with HPDs staffing issues.

Oh, that was my first post regarding the homeless.

Sorry. I wasn't paying attention.

Not to the extent they essentially take over the park and start camping, etc. "Use" is one thing but the homeless generally take it to the next level to the exclusion of others. Where's the fairness in that?

Wait, you said you wanted the homeless kept out of the park entirely at first. Prohibiting camping is different from keeping out people without homes.

Taxpayers (you know, the one's that generally fund parks and such) should be able to use a park without the negative impacts that often accompany the homeless onslaught. The homeless are ruining Midtown.

Or we could learn how to live with each other.

Panhandlers <> homeless.

I nearly fainted when I saw parents allowing their kids to climb on the Debuffet sculpture.

The front page of the Chronicle had a picture of parents actually helping their kids climb on Margo Sawyer's colorful garage entrances. Made it seem like that's what was expected. Is it? I'm guessing not -- and that makes me wonder how long it will be before they have to do somethig to prevent it that makes the art less attractive. Maybe they can try something subtle like gluing shards of broken glass atop the blocks...

Seriously -- unless I'm wrong and those were intended to be climbing walls -- I think it's pretty irresponsible of the Chronicle to publish that picture, at least not without mentioning they're not supposed to do that.

I know it's definitely going to happen... I was just curious as to HOW it's going to happen... I guess we will see. ^_^