Residents Say New Development Is A Threat

ricco67

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/m...politan/2852772

Oct. 18, 2004, 12:44AM

Residents say new development is a threat

Neighbors on near north side fear they will be forced out

By MIKE SNYDER

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Sylvia Castillo has burrowed deeply into the landscape of Houston's near north side, mingling daily with neighbors and friends who drive the same streets, shop in the same stores and watch children play in the same tree-shaded parks.

Now, Castillo fears that this network of familiar connections is in jeopardy.

She had to borrow money to pay her property taxes last year, and she worries that rising land values triggered by a major new development project will force her out of the neighborhood where she's lived since she was 11 years old.

"Let me tell you something about my community: We're close," said Castillo, 59. "We help each other out. If I am sick, I can call my neighbor for help. If I hear a gunshot in the night, my neighbor will call.

"Where can I find that at my age? I'm not young; I can't just pick up and go."

The focus of her concern is a planned new development, known as Hardy Place, on the site of an abandoned rail yard that separates the neighborhood from downtown. Developers who purchased the 43-acre site in 2001 plan to build about 1,400 townhouses and apartments, as well as retail and office buildings.

The project illustrates the continuing struggle to protect longtime residents of older, inner-city neighborhoods from displacement as developers respond to the movement of middle-class families into the city from the suburbs.

Hardy Place would be one of Houston's largest developments combining homes, shops and offices. Its pedestrian-friendly design has been widely praised by city officials and others promoting dense, urban-style projects in the city's center.

"This is a precedent-setting project," said Patricia Knudson Joiner, a former Houston planning director who now heads a private planning firm working on the Hardy Place development. "I think it's going to set the example ... that will give other developers some creative juices of their own."

The economic impact of the project, however, has ignited worry among many residents of the near north side, a predominantly Hispanic area of mostly working-class or poor families.

The city created a Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone last year in a 242-acre area that includes the Hardy Place site. The plan for the zone projects that its total appraised property value will increase to $957 million over its 30-year life

I am actually surprised to see the agreement on the fact that these people don't deserve the benefits of new housing if they can't even maintain the area they are in to begin with. I personally don't understand people who bash gentrification of land that is currently in shambles. I think this project could have been something great, but now it looks like it will remain the same wasteland or even better, some new "future projects." I don't agree with the argument that there is no affordable real estate inside the loop. Take danax's point in the east end threads, there is still lots of affordable housing as is inside the loop. $100- $150K is extremely affordable for the land where it is, basically prime real estate.

I see a lot of this potential backlash in the area north of Washington, south of I-10, upper west end area. Some houses that literally are barely standing and with trash in the front yard, cars on blocks, crates of aluminum cans on it. Why should that be considered a huge loss when developers come in and build new houses on that land?

I think I finally agree with you on something.

It's one thing to be poor, but take the poor out of it, and many of these people are downright trashy.

And by trash, I mean all the trash in their yards, curbs, etc.

..and I finally agree with you on someting as well.

We live on N. Main-probably in the best kept home on the street. Every morning I go to the front yard and pick up all the trash that has been tossed out over night. On one side I have very quiet and neat neighbors who don't seem to have alot of $$ but still keep their property up.

On the other side they are just trailer trashers who apparently have money for huge SUV's and enough Colt 45 to float the Texas but not for a can of paint or a rake.

I hate to see long-time residents who do their best run out of the neighborhood because of gentrefication.

I wish I had the solution for them.

B)

Same things happens in Midtown. And I was the deisgnated volunteer trash collector on Jackson St..

It's a sad mix of trashy-yuppies with big screen TV boxes thrown to the street, and foot traffic from Third Ward.

If I had $1 for every empty pack of Kool's and broken Old English bottles I picked up. And don't forget those Metro Transfer passes! I could me a millionaire!