Westheimer Undertaking Company Building At 1217 Prairie St.

Highrise Tower

Very cool find here!

Westheimer Undertakers and Funeral Directors, 1217 Prairie at Caroline.  Men standing beside Funeral vehicles parked in front of the building.

Date: 1905

Edit: During the early years of the building, the fourth floor (named Westheimer Hall) served as a meeting place for several unions and associations such as the Typographical Union #87, Wood Wire & Metal Lathers International Union Houston Local #224, and the Sharks Benevolent Club.

B8ZlrSj.png

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Westheimer Undertaking Company Building At 1217 Prairie St.

This is a very interesting building despite its size and normal, for the time, appearance. I was inside this building about sixteen years ago. In the basement there is a granite slab at about waist height which, I was told, was the place where bodies were prepared for viewing. I took that to mean embalming and perhaps applying makeup. I've been to many funerals in my lifetime and I cannot recall one time when the deceased, woman or man, adult or child, did not have some form of makeup. There is also a walk-in vault in the basement but it is quite small.

I was also taken to the fourth floor where there were/are monitor windows (sort of like skylights) that faced true north so they are off the grid of downtown and askew to the walls of the building. I was told this space was used for cotton factoring (grading) which needed to be done under diffuse north light.

When I visited in 2008 or 2009 (?) the building was occupied primarily by bail bond firms and a few attorneys. Thank you for posting, Highrise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1