Bolivar/Galveston Bridge

Guest Plastic

all the info you need (mardi gras may not be the best time for the experience):

bolivar ferry

i would hate to see this go, i love taking the ferry.

how about this?

MMMBT_N_Aerial.jpg

The Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel in VA

I'm sorry for straying but I have to. If what is in that picture can be done, so could a subway or a tunnel from Greenspoint to Downtown. Flooding who?

I'm sorry, you may resume. :P

Yeah but no one really has the initiative to do so. I am assuming this is just an attempt to have a more visibly pleasing entry into Houston, in this case a lit tunnel, rather than seeing billboards, dealerships, and oversized furniture warehouses. In my opinion, TX dot would need a better reason.

Well I do not know the population of Bolivar but it sounds like something that would be well spent with tax dollars. This is not San Francisco. People should not have to pay everytime they leave and come back to their city. Especially when you are on a peninsula. I think I agree with J.A.S.O.N. for the most part, but the whole toll deal should not be considered.

Well how else is TXDot or anyone else going to justify the cost of a 300+ foot clearance bridge, or even worse, a tunnel.

Nothing TxDOT builds is ever pleasing to the eye. Want to destroy a lovely view? Let TxDOT build one of their ugly concrete monstrosities. There will be nothing attractive about this span. The only attractive bridge they have ever built (and I am not sure they built it) is the 146 bridge across the ship channel.

Nothing TxDOT builds is ever pleasing to the eye. Want to destroy a lovely view? Let TxDOT build one of their ugly concrete monstrosities. There will be nothing attractive about this span. The only attractive bridge they have ever built (and I am not sure they built it) is the 146 bridge across the ship channel.

TxDot built the Fred Hartman bridge.

You have to remember that this region does not exactly have the great vistas of the Pacific Coast or the need until recently of long spanned suspension bridges. Engineers weigh economic, enviromental and aesthetic factors based on the individual project. While a soaring cable stayed bridge would be very pretty soaring over the Brazos River on US 59, its not very cost effective.

Also what about the Loop 360 bridge in Austin or the many old steel frame bridges found across Texas.

I would think that with the bridge clearance needed and the distance between piers required for the amout of sea traffic, Texas may see its first suspension bridge if this is ever constructed.

TxDot built the Fred Hartman bridge.

You have to remember that this region does not exactly have the great vistas of the Pacific Coast or the need until recently of long spanned suspension bridges. Engineers weigh economic, enviromental and aesthetic factors based on the individual project. While a soaring cable stayed bridge would be very pretty soaring over the Brazos River on US 59, its not very cost effective.

Also what about the Loop 360 bridge in Austin or the many old steel frame bridges found across Texas.

I would think that with the bridge clearance needed and the distance between piers required for the amout of sea traffic, Texas may see its first suspension bridge if this is ever constructed.

CE_ugh, I certainly don't disagree with you. My west coast living is very recent. I lived in Houston and Galveston for 23 years. I understand looking at projects from an econonmic and environmental perspective, but aesthetics is critical in a location such as this. There is very little natural beauty along the Texas Gulf Coast (at least in terms of vistas) but that doesn't negate spending a little more for some man-made beauty. The new bridge in Tampa-St. Petersberg is a fairly good example. I am doubtful that without a strong public outcry that aesthetics would even be considered by TxDOT. I hope I am wrong if this thing ever gets built. Having lived on the Island I am hopeful for the best. It will always be a special place to me.

Motorists willing to pay $250 or more a year soon may be able to bypass the long lines that form in the hot sun during tourist season to wait for the Bolivar and Port Aransas ferries.

The Texas Transportation Commission had scheduled a vote last week on the proposed priority boarding lanes. The commission postponed voting on the measure until Feb. 23 after Bolivar Peninsula resident Darlene Leal pleaded that the proposed fees are too steep for many beach-loving retirees to afford.

chron article

There's not much chance for a suspension bridge. Suspension bridges are much more expensive than cable-stayed bridges and are generally used only for very long spans. The required span can easily be achieved with a cable-stayed bridge, and the 2000 feasibility study recommended a cable-stayed design. Cost will be a critical factor, so you can be sure the least expensive option will be used. I don't know what influence the potential for hurricane-force winds will have, but I would guess the wind risk will tend to shorten the main span.

I think the main item of interest will be the vertical clearance. The recommended clearance of 220 feet is among the world's highest for bridges over a shipping channel. I think the highest in the world is 230 for a bridge over the Suez canal. If the vertical clearance is increased at the request of the Port of Houston, we could see a record-breaker in terms of vertical clearance. But, I think cost issues will drive TxDOT to want to keep the vertical clearance as low as possible.

Here's my dream: a record-setting vertical clearance, say 250 feet or more, and special turnout areas on the bridge for observation. I'm thinking this could be done with an extra-wide deck around the support towers. Vehicles could exit to the barrier-protected area, park, and check out the view from the record-setting height. I'm not sure if it would be technically feasible, but it certainly would be a great novelty and attraction.

That would be great for Bolivar residents, and those coming to the island from the Beaumont area.

Those travelling to and from Beaumont would surely like it. Wonder how the Bolivar people would feel about the explosion in traffic?

If Bolivar becomes more accessible, the sleepy charactor of the town will disappear overnight. Barring a ban on new construction, a housing boom will be inevitable; soaring prices will force out long time residents. And if more people build there, that's more people to evacuate during hurricane season, and more houses to replace when they're eventually washed away. Why encourage development?

A bridge would create more problems than it would solve.

Those travelling to and from Beaumont would surely like it. Wonder how the Bolivar people would feel about the explosion in traffic?

If Bolivar becomes more accessible, the sleepy charactor of the town will disappear overnight. Barring a ban on new construction, a housing boom will be inevitable; soaring prices will force out long time residents. And if more people build there, that's more people to evacuate during hurricane season, and more houses to replace when they're eventually washed away. Why encourage development?

A bridge would create more problems than it would solve.

There is a considerable amount of development happening on the peninsula. Check it out...

http://www.guidrynews.com/05GCEN/Bolivar/21505.htm

Also MaxConcrete , You should be able to ge a good shot of the proposed bridge from Sea Wolf Park

seawolf7du.jpg

Edited by J.A.S.O.N.

There's not much chance for a suspension bridge. Suspension bridges are much more expensive than cable-stayed bridges and are generally used only for very long spans. The required span can easily be achieved with a cable-stayed bridge, and the 2000 feasibility study recommended a cable-stayed design. Cost will be a critical factor, so you can be sure the least expensive option will be used. I don't know what influence the potential for hurricane-force winds will have, but I would guess the wind risk will tend to shorten the main span.

I think the main item of interest will be the vertical clearance. The recommended clearance of 220 feet is among the world's highest for bridges over a shipping channel. I think the highest in the world is 230 for a bridge over the Suez canal. If the vertical clearance is increased at the request of the Port of Houston, we could see a record-breaker in terms of vertical clearance. But, I think cost issues will drive TxDOT to want to keep the vertical clearance as low as possible.

Here's my dream: a record-setting vertical clearance, say 250 feet or more, and special turnout areas on the bridge for observation. I'm thinking this could be done with an extra-wide deck around the support towers. Vehicles could exit to the barrier-protected area, park, and check out the view from the record-setting height. I'm not sure if it would be technically feasible, but it certainly would be a great novelty and attraction.

That will be one long cable stayed bridge.

There is a considerable amount of development happening on the peninsula. Check it out...

http://www.guidrynews.com/05GCEN/Bolivar/21505.htm

Thanks for the link.

Wow. I had no idea - 258 proposed houses just from this one company! They should call this the "Bridge of Dreams" development:

"If you come, they will build it!"

If you can appreciate a modern sensibility, then take a look at the Loop 610 bridge over the Ship Channel. It is particularly breathtaking from Brady's Island or from the parking lot along the east side of Broadway, adjacent to the Brays Bayou/Buffalo Bayou confluence. TXDoT built it, and its a beauty.

Will these be okay for the proposal bridge :D

One of those is the East Span of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay bridge. The total project cost is now $6.3 billion and the cost of the main span alone is estimated at $1.45 billion (bids are due in the next few months).

Keep in mind that TxDOT probably only wants to spend around $300 million on the bridge. The cost estimate 5 years ago was around $200 million.

Sure, the Bolivar bridge is much smaller than the SF bridge, and Bolivar bridge is not in a earthquake zone. Still, $300 million doesn't get you very much these days, and we shouldn't expect much more than a bare minimum facility.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Seems to me the best solution would be to keep the ferry, and link Bolivar to the Texas City Dike. The highway along the dike could be fully, mostly or partially elevated in order to allow fishing to continue.

Another advantage is that if a hurricane is bearing down on High Island, Bolivar residents could evacuate through Texas City and not clog Galveston

Seems to me the best solution would be to keep the ferry, and link Bolivar to the Texas City Dike. The highway along the dike could be fully, mostly or partially elevated in order to allow fishing to continue.

Another advantage is that if a hurricane is bearing down on High Island, Bolivar residents could evacuate through Texas City and not clog Galveston

Council should speak up for growth

By Dolph Tillotson

The Daily News

Published August 13, 2006

I didn't register with their website, so I didn't get through the rest of the article, but it seems like their true motivation is to prevent the loss of their tax base to Bolivar, which would become a much more accessible beach than many parts of the West End. Galveston's city limits take in the whole island, except for Jamaica Beach, so by putting up barriers to access for other areas, they're trying to limit the supply of developable land. Doing so will 1) contain development within their tax jurisdiction, and 2) keep prices rising at a rapid rate. Eventually, all of their riff-raff will be priced off of the island.

Even if they proposed that the bridge be between Bolivar and Texas City, Bolivar would still be at a disadvantage for the lack of infrastructure and access to Galveston for such things as schools, the county courthouse, etc. Besides, the dike leads into Texas City. It'd still be a pretty long and roundabout drive to get back to civilization.

• 1 year later...

The project's been scrapped.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/site/new...12588&rfi=6

Plans for a towering bridge connecting Bolivar Peninsula and Galveston Island have been scrapped, according to a Texas Department of Transportation spokesman said.

The project, estimated at about $240 million, was too costly with too many unknown factors, including environmental impact, exact location and how high the bridge would be built.

A fleet of five ferries connects the 2.5 miles from Bolivar to Galveston.

Read more in Wednesday's Beaumont Enterprise.