Main Skeet Gun Club At 11220 South Main St.

Highrise Tower

I was browsing an old newspaper called Brenham Banner-Press dated July 10, 1940 and came across a day schedule. Lots of activities planned for the busy day, and in the afternoon there was a Skeet shooting activity.

Elks National Skeet Shoot: Main Skeet Club, South Main Street at the Airport (time of this event will be posted at the Elks Information Booth on the Texas Avenue side of the Rice Hotel.)

Looks like this was next to the Houston Main Street Airport.  I'd love to know of an address of that airport. Or an address of this skeet shooting club.

This is the 2nd time, technically 3rd, I've heard about this place.  I wonder if there are any advertisements or photos of this place?

The 1942 book called Houston, a history and guide mentions:

Trap shooting:
Houston Gun Club- 7 miles Southwest on Westheimer Rd.
Main Skeet Club- 7 miles Southwest on US 90.

In the article clipping below you can also see more historic Houston things such as the BraeBurn County Club, Gulf Brewing Company, Rice Hotel, and Buffalo Stadium.

HEXurEw.png

• Like 1

I am going to assume the airport mentioned is the old Main Street Airport that was  located North of Brochsteins, sort of across the street from Playland Park. There was another airport, Sam Houston, further out Main. I do not see a skeet field at either airport location in the aerials, but they could be hard to miss.

Houston Gun Club was probably the range I mentioned in another post as being East of the railroad tracks at Westheimer, where Highland Village is now. It stretched to about where Restoration Hardware is

image.png.afb474603a240f1e1237fe6dc9d85284.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/20/2022 at 10:40 PM, Ross said:

I am going to assume the airport mentioned is the old Main Street Airport that was  located North of Brochsteins, sort of across the street from Playland Park. There was another airport, Sam Houston, further out Main. I do not see a skeet field at either airport location in the aerials, but they could be hard to miss.

In 1964, the Main Skeet Club was located on South Main at Willowbend Blvd, before the road extension to Buffalo Speedway. Maybe we could call it "End of Willowbend". A spin-off of the "End of Main" terminology.

Given the location, I would place this around 11220 South Main Street. The current location of Ace Image Wear Uniform Services, which is at the corner of South Main and Stella Link.

Image credit:

https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

Wild image! You have the South Main Drive-In Theater, The Brochsteins campus, and Homco Field.  I guess that's also the South Main Golf Center/Briarwood Country Club At 10920 South Main St.

9TLbY85.png

ne6JWK7.png

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Main Skeet Gun Club At 11220 South Main St.