Chase Bank Demolition - 1934 West Gray St.

hindesky

Such a shame if they are indeed tearing it down.  This is a cool old building of a style you just don't see built anymore.  If it's replaced with something more dense it won't be all bad, but a 2-story retail building does not sound appealing.  Maybe if the new building has interesting architecture, but knowing how Houston is I'm not optimistic.

• Like 9

That area will definitely be the poorer for it if that building gets demoed. I banked there for years when I lived in Montrose, starting when it housed Farm & Home Savings (which preceded Washington Mutual, which preceded Chase).

I find the last two posts really interesting. I think the renderings seem fine enough, and two-floor retail is...fine. 

But golly, I can hardly think of an architectural style more abhorrent to me. Zero street engagement, totally car-oriented design. 

Obviously everybody has different aesthetics and different values when it comes to urban form and function. But personally, I'd love to see every building like this condemned to the history books.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 1934 West Gray St.
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/24/2024 at 12:32 PM, hindesky said:

All tenants have vacated the building, what's next? Demo or new tenants.

XlchKpl.jpeg

OnFv5VV.jpeg

heRLrUZ.jpeg

On 8/9/2024 at 2:06 PM, hindesky said:

Plumbing company told me they were waiting for the city to show up to shut off the water so they could blank off the water pipes. Electrical has been disconnected. Is demo coming next?

A plumbing permit was pulled yesterday for 1934 W Gray St.

Details from the permit:

• Use: Demo building / sewer disconnect
  • FCC Group: Demo; other building(s)

The permits are in preparation of the building's demolition. As mentioned in previous posts, a new two-story building is going up on the site. Leasing materials for the property state the building will "consist of approximately 15,000 SF of retail and restaurant space."

Post with the site plan for the building:
https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/topic/49303-1934-west-gray-st/?do=findComment&comment=688607

Post with the renderings for the building at 1934 West Gray St:
https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/topic/49303-1934-west-gray-st/?do=findComment&comment=688608

JENxvuV.png

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Chase Bank Demolition - 1934 West Gray St.