Brays Bayou School On Old Main Street Rd.

Highrise Tower

I was looking at old schools near the Texas Medical Center and found a public school called Brays Bayou School located on Almeda Road by the old St. Anthony's House.  A 1920's map indicates the location differently? Possibly I am misreading things?

The map shows the school located on Griggs Road (present day Old Spanish Trail?) near Old Main Street Road.  Almeda is a bit to the right.

Anyone know the story here?

Adele Jones was the school principal & teacher, at one point.

The Houston Post 1915:

r9826qe.png

Houston Independent School District Annual Reports, 1914 - 1915:

ro4Gssu.png

Geological Survey (U.S.) Bellaire Quadrangle map, 1921:

fMlHJvI.png

• Like 1

The legend identifies the road next to the school as Almeda Rd., i.e., the road to Almeda.  Present day Almeda Rd./FM 521 runs parallel to the RR tracks coming down from the upper right corner of the map.  What was called Almeda back then later became Knight, I think.

Looks like Griggs was an early name for a section of what is now S. Braeswood.  

• Like 1

This map has the correct location. Looks like the school was at the intersection, or near, Almeda & Calumet.

Chart for telephone, gas, electric connections, and population 1916 - 1928
Compiled from data furnished by City Engineer’s Office and City Planning Commission.  Drawn by Neil Geisenhoff.  Compliments of Fantham and Fantham, real estate developers. 

nobX7Yb.png

• 5 months later...
On 11/17/2022 at 7:41 PM, JLWM8609 said:

That's close to the present day intersection of Braeswood and Fannin. 

Found a cool drawing/map on HAIF and thought I would post it here.

The "School House" was located on Old Main Street Road (present day Fannin) and Griggs Road (present day South Braeswood Blvd.) or County Road (present day Wyndale St.)

In other words, where present day Sloshburg's vacant property is on Fannin/Braeswood or down the block at Braeswood and Wyndale where the proposed TMC Helix Park Hotel & Residences will be. 

What's up with the Almeda Road location? I'm confused. There might have been two separate Brays Bayou Schools? Or the writers for HISD were confused with the exact location and listed Almeda instead of Old Main Street Road. Both were very long, prominent, roads. 

iOT37lT.jpg

KAjozT4.jpg

Closer in:

EPwnkgW.jpg

oQ1TuVC.jpg

• The title was changed to Brays Bayou School On Old Main Street Rd.