Little Red Schoolhouse & Redbridge School At 611 Westbury Sq.

pineda

We enrolled our son in a pre-kindergarten class that was in Westbury Square in 1965.
Was this "The Little Red Schoolhouse"? I think it might still be there, but bigger.
I grew up just about a mile from Westbury square and have a vague memory of going to the grand opening. It's too bad that it's now a Home Depot, but it hung on for quite a few years past the time when it was actually doing a reasonable amount of business. It then stood mostly empty and deteriorating for a few years.

In addition to the stores mentioned before, The Gay Dot (which later became the Pink Giraffe) was a Hallmark or Hallmark-like store.

The Company On Stage still has a presence there and puts on live theatre on par with other neighborhood theatres in Houston.

As a kid I remember thinking it was so strange that people lived in apartments above the shops! I guess that's very European but I've never seen it anywhere else in Houston!

Do you remember the name of the steak house restaurant there?

pineda said:
Was this "The Little Red Schoolhouse"? I think it might still be there, but bigger.

Do you remember the name of the steak house restaurant there?

The Little Red Schoolhouse moved out of Westbury square several years ago and opened in the center on Hillcroft just south of S. Braeswood (Bagel Shop and Wal Mart in that same center). They (LRS) closed up a couple of years ago.

I don't remember the name of the steak house.

Edit:

I found this ad in the newspaper called Jewish Herald-Voice dated July 28, 1988. The advertisement, in text, is as follows:  

Little Red Schoolhouse and Redbridge School
Since 1960

611 Westbury Square Houston Texas 77035
Tel. 723-2877

Pre-School - Elementary School - Middle School
* Established for 26 years
* Montessori Pre-School & Early Elementary
* Enthusiastic, Experienced Teacher
* Trips to the symphony and ballet
* Strong Academic Program
* Traditional 3rd thru 8th grades
* Sense of community
* Spanish, French, Art, Music, P.E.

Fondren S.W./Meyerland/Westbury and from Bellaire to Sugar Land.

mXNPyLN.png

Edit Number 2: 

Photos of the building, students, and alumni prior to demolition:

KQqzdAb.jpg

fnVZ7Z2.jpg