Bernard Sakowitz Mansion At 3533 North MacGregor Way

sevfiv

• 5 months later...
someone recommended the documentary "this is my home, it is not for sale," which is about the interesting history of the neighborhood (haven't had a chance to see it yet, though).

there is a thread on the documentary here

Yes, this documentary is well worth watching. Channel 8 runs it every now and then, espicially during fund raising periods.

The fact that the Weingarten family had their house demolished instead of selling it to a colored family shows just how bigoted

people were back then.

• 2 years later...
plumber2 said:
The fact that the Weingarten family had their house demolished instead of selling it to a colored family shows just how bigoted

people were back then.

It's been two years since your original post so I don't know if you're following it now. The family that had their house demolished rather than letting a black family live in it were the Sakowitzes. The Sakowitz house was located at 3553 N. MacGregor, next door (west) to the present day Quentin Mease Hospital. An apartment complex lies there now. The Weingarten house still stands at 4000 S. MacGregor. I don't know if the Weingartens initally sold their house to a black family or not, but white people live there now.

Gg6rmUE.jpg