I was looking in-depth at the Greenwood's Sanitarium advertisement and I noticed something interesting.  

For the location of the hospital, it states:

South Main Street, on Oak Hill, the coolest part of Houston. 

What's the story on the Oak Hill part of town? This would have been in the 1910s through the 1950s. Was the neighborhood, or general area, renamed at some point? This would have been in the area of South Main and Old Spanish Trail. 

6F22En3.png

• Thanks 1

Houston Adjacent Subdivisions Map 1930.

Printed on front: "Compiled from data and information furnished by City Planning Commission, City Engineering Department, resident engineer of State Highway Department and other sources by W.G. Jones, Secretary-Manager-Motor League of South Texas and R.M. Stene, road log enginner."

Shows city blocks, named streets, major highways, proposed highways, subdivisions, bayous, and ship channel. Includes lists of schools, hospitals, and cemeteries and index guide to streets of Houston. Title from title block. Scale of map is approximately 1 mile to 2 in.

The corner of Old Main Street Road/Old Spanish Trail/Braeswood looks to have been divided into 9 lots with Greenwood Sanitarium at the end. I wonder if this small development was called Oak Hill?

iOqbuFf.png

h8zBiiQ.png

Found a new map, to me!

Houston, Texas, Town plan with superimposed information

https://digitalcollections.lib.uh.edu/concern/images/dz010q59h?locale=en#?c=0&m=0&s=0&cv=0&xywh=3838%2C8282%2C2384%2C1143

(Link above for the full-size map)

While zooming in on the map I noticed a new clue! Greenwood's Sanitarium is located near Torch Hill.  Also near Forest Glen, Sleepy Creek, and GR Ridge.

Notice the subdivision to the right that have streets named after numbers.  This does not exist today.  Now, in 2023, the streets are named after people.  Kind of cool!

There was also a proposed Veterans Hospital across from the US Naval Hospital.  This never happened, and now the UT System owns the land.  That location should have been an airport a few years prior? Or maybe after.

aSFOFuh.jpg

Ws25BDT.jpg