Race Track At On South Post Oak Rd.

Highrise Tower

I was looking around at old images of Meyerland and came across an unusual shape in the forest land prior to Meyer Park Shopping Center being built.  This would have been in the early 1960s. 1962 to be exact. I never knew about this! I wonder if this is a second, not as serious, Meyer Speedway? Looks like the race track was located at the present-day Banfield Pet Hospital located at 10275 South Post Oak Road. The track could have also had a West Bellfort address as well.  It was located on the corner of S. Post Oak and W. Bellfort.

Given the shape of the race track, this would have been a motorcycle/motocross track? Or possibly a go-kart track?  It's not an oval shape. Looking on Google, both motocross and go-kart tracks have that similar "zigzag" shape.

I know there were a few dirt bike retail stores in the area.  Such as Westbury Yamaha located on West Bellfort near the present-day Taco Cabana.

1953, before Meyerland/Willowbend got developed!

xdAD7vv.png

1962:

gZIf32J.png

Larger:

Kwr1E9T.png

2023, Meyer Park Shopping Center.  The track was located where the first building is, on the narrow corner at the bottom.

*and wow look at all that surface parking!! I wonder if Meyerland will ever densify and build on those vacant lots? Just build a parking garage, or two and then get rid of the surface lots!

X34IMB5.png

• Like 1