Crime In The Heights

PureAuteur

5'8" ish), hispanic male wearing a black sweatshirt with a hood over his head.

I swear I saw a guy that fits this description just the other day at 10th and Sheperd....I know it could be one in 1000, but definitely about 5'8, black hoody,hispanic guy....

Didn't you know all hispanic males are 5'8"ish.

On another note. I am thinking about buying a 45 APC with my tax refund while I can still afford to.

If I lived in the Heights I would already have one.

you may not be a gun toting redneck, but that doesn't stop you from being a bigot. i can pretty much guaranty you that a large percentage of crime is perpetrated by your everyday American citizen. i may not be half hispanic, but in the course of my decade in texas i have known many, many "illegals" and they were hard working, honest and wanted nothing more than to fly under the radar and work and live their lives.

I've known plenty of illegal immigrants that stole from the job site, and it has ranged from walking off with a hammer (which I replaced this afternoon) to late-night breaking and entering to steal thousands of dollars worth of copper. I've also had highly mixed results with non-immigrant day labor across all categories or race or ethnicity.

In all fairness, I do think that there is a higher rate of incidence of crime among illegal immigrants, but only because the distribution of them among socioeconomic classes is so completely lopsided.

You and I probably would agree as to what the political approach would be, but on some level there does have to be acknowledgment that poor folks are disproportionately likely to commit a property crime and that illegal immigrants are disproportionately poor. That in and of itself is not bigoted. It's reality.

I am posting this on behalf of some friends on Harvard....Please alert all your neighbours. Here are his words. As you can see this is likely the same individual as last time. :o

________________________________________________________________________________

_________

Last Saturday morning at approximately 9:15 am a hispanic male rang our doorbell. Our house is located on Harvard and 13th. Our front yard is surrounded by a 4 1/2 ft iron gate so he rang the bell at the gate entrance at the sidewalk. My son looked out from a second floor window and saw a tall (5'8" ish), hispanic male wearing a black sweatshirt with a hood over his head. My son then yelled out to our nanny that a man was at the gate. When my son looked back the man appeared to be gone. Our nanny went towards the front door and spied the man in our front yard (he had jumped over the gate) and was headed to the side of our house which leads to our back yard. He spotted our nanny looking out the window and immediately took off and jumped back over the front gate and into our neighbors front yard and then

disappeared. We called the police who responded very quickly. They said

our description of the individual sounded very similar to the man that attacked the family on 12 1/2 st two weeks ago.

Our neighborhood needs to be vigilant and keep doors locked at all times.

This person is not interested in burglarizing an empty house but rather entering an occupied home and committing a robbery possibly inflicting harm on its occupants. We are on high alert.

Many thanks.

I read this post and I feel compelled to reply. I too live on Harvard near 13th and I was out in my yard about 9 am on that Saturday morning. I saw the man mentioned in the above post and he asked to get my backyard! - and - of course I let him in - as he was a Centerpoint meter reader!!! The more agile readers often jump over fences to get around locked gates.

While of course there are serious crimes in the Heights - let's not start panicking with every meter reader.

Saturday mornings are probably the least likely time for robbers/burglars/fiends. (most people at home, police response good, - etc.).

I doubt meter readers act in the manner the post describes...

Yeah, I feel that black hoodies are not exactly Centerpoint MO

Everybody:

-Keep your doors locked (even when it seems stupid).

-Keep your motion sensor lights in good condition (or keep a few outside lights on).

-Look out your windows when you have the opportunity

-Be aware of your environment even even when in you are in your own yard

-Stay in good touch with your neighbors.

We, in the Hieghts, live in an urban environment. It comes with reponsibilities.

Oh, and keep posting any incidents in your know. If we've got details, we go from an abstract paranoia to a better discernment of risk.

Edited by Porchman

I doubt meter readers act in the manner the post describes...

The only part of this story that meter readers don't do is turn around when they make eye contact with the nanny. And this story is third hand, so there may have been some transcription errors, especially if someone thought it was a bad guy and wanted his actions to be painted in the worst possible way.

Yeah, I feel that black hoodies are not Centerpoint MO

You would be wrong, because on a cold day meter readers often wear a layer over their Centerpoint shirt.

Ummmm, how many Centerpoint employees are out reading meters on SATURDAY ?!? I think your place just got cased TEAK, did he have a big grey reader that looks like a Star Trek photon weapon ?

Something similar to this:gallery_1279_48_1408.jpg

Edited by TJones

Ummmm, how many Centerpoint employees are out reading meters on SATURDAY ?!?

There was a Centerpoint guy on my street last Saturday morning. I saw him out my bedroom window and then saw him go around and down the driveway to the back. He also made face-to-face contact with my next-door neighbor in the process of getting past their gate. He had on a uniform shirt. I had a twinge of anxiety when I first spied him, but once I saw the Centerpoint patch, I relaxed. I still watched him, though, cuz you can't be too sure.

There was a Centerpoint guy on my street last Saturday morning. I saw him out my bedroom window and then saw him go around and down the driveway to the back. He also made face-to-face contact with my next-door neighbor in the process of getting past their gate. He had on a uniform shirt. I had a twinge of anxiety when I first spied him, but once I saw the Centerpoint patch, I relaxed. I still watched him, though, cuz you can't be too sure.

You can buy old Centerpoint shirts, complete with patches and nametags, at the Salvation Army store on Washington. They are also sold at the giant flea market place out 290.

we have already had a thread to debate whether or not people think this is a good idea. i am simply posting to tell anyone who is interested in particiapting, the constable program for the Heights is in full swing again (gee, wonder why?) and i have offered to a) spread the word and B) collect info for those who would like to committ. at this time, it's strictly to gauge interest and be sure there are enough names to make the effort.

please PM me with your name, email and address if you would like to get on the list.

You can buy old Centerpoint shirts, complete with patches and nametags, at the Salvation Army store on Washington. They are also sold at the giant flea market place out 290.

Man, oh, Man - Paranoia strikes deep.

The guy was obviously a Centerpoint meter reader. Yes - he had a Centerpoint Logo and a recorder machine (not the scanner - that's City of Houston). Yes - they often work on Saturdays. Yes - they jump fences.

Occam's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the best.

Alternatively every month my house is cased by very clever criminals disguised as meter readers though they never break in. - all they do is send me bills!!

I have no problems with succinctness, but giving the benefit of the doubt of the original post and the story hasn't been distorted, this particular action seems to warrant the attention:

He spotted our nanny looking out the window and immediately took off and jumped back over the front gate and into our neighbors front yard and then

disappeared.

In this case, and with all the other incidents, better safe than sorry?

I have no problems with succinctness, but giving the benefit of the doubt of the original post and the story hasn't been distorted, this particular action seems to warrant the attention:

He spotted our nanny looking out the window and immediately took off and jumped back over the front gate and into our neighbors front yard and then

disappeared.

In this case, and with all the other incidents, better safe than sorry?

Of course, that same post contains the conclusion that this person "is not interested in burglarizing an empty house but rather entering an occupied home and committing a robbery possibly inflicting harm on its occupants", even though the nanny said he took off once she looked at him.

As always though, paying attention to one's surroundings is good advice. And, I'd rather discount a neighbor's account of a meter reader incident than not hear about the incident at all.

I was at a friends' house last Saturday afternoon when the COH water-meter reader came around. The water meter is in the front yard so it wasn't a big deal but I'm just adding another example to "utility folks do come into our neighborhoods on the weekends".

But I agree that they should be well labeled and identifiable via their uniform and vehicle etc.

I emailed Sheila Jackson office about this time frame. He says they are working around her schedule.

That's why people in the news industry (and probably others) call her "Sheila Jackson ME."

so she can get on camera for the 6pm news

Bingo. Her PR people are hoping for a preview at 4, a live shot or two for the evening news, and a package at 10pm. Timing is everything.

That's why people in the news industry (and probably others) call her "Sheila Jackson ME."

Bingo. Her PR people are hoping for a preview at 4, a live shot or two for the evening news, and a package at 10pm. Timing is everything.

I'll never get why she's so obsessed with media coverage. She has a demographic lock on her district for as long as she wants, and she must know that she's never going to rise to the Senate or anything more prestigious.

I'll never get why she's so obsessed with media coverage. She has a demographic lock on her district for as long as she wants, and she must know that she's never going to rise to the Senate or anything more prestigious.

Does she really? Honest question - I'd always assumed it's just a matter of time until a good Hispanic candidate knocked her out.