Crime In The Heights

PureAuteur

It may be because there has not been an increase in burglaries...only an increase in ones that you know about. While it is cold comfort to you and the other recent victims, it appears that there are slightly fewer burglaries in the Heights beat this year over last. If that is the case, you won't see much change in police patrols. The recent arrest of a group of burglars in the Heights has probably caused a drop in burglaries overall, though obviously it did not stop all of them.

The suggestion to enlist neighbors to watch for burglars is a good one. Remember, cameras are of little use if no one is monitoring them.

Note that I used the HPD beat reports online, which are not official totals.

The number of unreported property crimes is rather high. It is probably lower in the fancy part of the heights, but if you are not going to make an insurance claim, or don't have the time to wait on the police there isn't much point in calling them (other than for statistical analysis of the crime).

Unfortunately there are way more crimes than there are cops to bust em.

Perhaps petty thefts are not reported. I did not report the 10 year old plastic chairs taken from my porch, since I was about to throw them away anyway. However, burglary is probably highly reported. And, if it is underreported in 2011, it was also underreported in 2010, so the relative increase or decrease in burglaries would not be affected.

Again, I did not do a detailed investigation. I simply looked at HPD's crime reports, which clearly state that they are not official. The Heights beat averages about 1 burglary per day. That includes an area of 3,000 to 4,000 homes. That likely does not qualify as a crime wave. However, over time, that is a lot of burglaries. Still, I didn't see such a spike as would likely cause a police dragnet. Remember, as annoying as burglaries are, the Heights suffers fewer of them than other parts of town. Life in the city.

Life in the city.

The City!? What are you talking about? With all the pale-faced gentry, the architectural restrictions, and numerous bike trails, the Heights is our newest and oldest suburb, a quaint bedroom community for a prototypical subculture of white hypocrites.

Me personally, I find it entertaining to watch them squirm, working themselves into a frenzy over anecdotes and perceived slights.

Edited by TheNiche
  • Like 1

...with all the pale-faced gentry...the Heights is ... a quaint bedroom community for a prototypical subculture of white hypocrites.

Me personally, I find it entertaining to watch them squirm, working themselves into a frenzy over anecdotes and perceived slights.

I wish I was black so I wouldn't have to suffer through all the stereotyping and pre-judgement prevalent in the Heights and these forums.

• Like 1

The City!? What are you talking about? With all the pale-faced gentry, the architectural restrictions, and numerous bike trails, the Heights is our newest and oldest suburb, a quaint bedroom community for a prototypical subculture of white hypocrites.

Thanks for the sympathy. I don't think that someone breaking into my house is an anecdote. It is very real. At least it is for me. And yes, we are squirming. My wife and I found it to be pretty disturbing. It doesn't help that I have two young kids at home that I am also concerned about protecting. Odd that you would somehow take pleasure in someone being uncomfortable in their own house because they are concerned the burglars might come back.

Any why does the distinction between city or suburb make it any better or worse to have your house burglarized?

By the way, there are people of all colors on our street, but I am sure that wouldn't have anything to do with whose house was burglarized or which block was hit.

• Like 2

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-anecdotal-evidence-can-undermine-scientific-results

If your discomfort is caused by concern over a suggested 'wave' of burglaries (which is the subject that RedScare and I were addressing), then that discomfort is irrational. I take no pleasure in your discomfort, however I might feel a tinge of pity.

As for the city/suburb comparison, I was making a social commentary on a subculture of affluence within which I do believe that race is an important factor. It does amuse me that there is so little difference between a prototypical resident of the Heights or The Woodlands, when you get right past all that petty and superficial stuff, like aesthetic quality of the housing stock, political leanings, or the presence of children in a household.

• Like 1

Contempt for the heights only emboldens them. To truly be a snooty neighborhood someone has to resent you ( and by that metric the effette called the heights has long since arrived.)

It will only be a matter of time before the heights will be as boring as west U\river oaks\Tanglewood ...

It is a bit bizarre that as far as the Haif forum neighborhoods go, the heights dwarfs all others as far as topics and replies. (downtown has a little more than half the topics the heights does).

Your point is understood - however after I was burglarized I made it a point to speak with my neighbors about it to let them know. Turns out that 4 other burglaries were not reported on my street alone. 4 more garages on my street have/had been in hit in the last 4 weeks. 3/4 had nothing but lawnmowers and cars in their garages so nothing was taken. They did however have to have their doors replaced. All had the same marks of the same crook. A screwdriver was used to pry on the door and then it was kicked in. Not sure what the screwdriver does when you kick it in anyway....

The fourth neighbor had a laptop that was in his car taken, his car window broken (his car was locked) a bag of tools, a weedeater, and a blower. It looks like the crook spent alot more time in his garage than all of the others. I still don't feel like the area is dangerous but I do think this is the same crook hitting different places. Catch him and take him out of the equation and it will be quiet for a little while until another POS takes his place.

Perhaps petty thefts are not reported. I did not report the 10 year old plastic chairs taken from my porch, since I was about to throw them away anyway. However, burglary is probably highly reported. And, if it is underreported in 2011, it was also underreported in 2010, so the relative increase or decrease in burglaries would not be affected.

Again, I did not do a detailed investigation. I simply looked at HPD's crime reports, which clearly state that they are not official. The Heights beat averages about 1 burglary per day. That includes an area of 3,000 to 4,000 homes. That likely does not qualify as a crime wave. However, over time, that is a lot of burglaries. Still, I didn't see such a spike as would likely cause a police dragnet. Remember, as annoying as burglaries are, the Heights suffers fewer of them than other parts of town. Life in the city.

No doubt that is likely the work of a single burglar. And, one burglar can do a lot of damage in a short time. I once prosecuted a guy who was charged with nearly 40 burglaries, but admitted that he had committed hundreds, possibly thousands, in various cities. He was one of the old time cat burglars, taking cash, jewelry and cameras. There are not nearly as many of his kind around these days. Most burglars are drug addicts, only hitting homes when they need a fix. The professinoal burglars have now become fences, buying the loot from the addicts. They then pawn the items, or sell it on eBay. Less likely to get caught, and the penalty for possession of stolen property is far less. While entering your garage is a 2nd degree felony (even if nothing is taken), possession of a stolen weedeater is only a misdemeanor.

The alley is still a big problem. On my street, we discussed opening the alley 3 years ago. When I pointed out that burglars use it, a neighbor told me that a house had been hit in the open portion of our alley (half is open, half fenced). We decided that the convenience of alley access was not worth it. I have always wondered if it were possible to gate either end of the alley. I know that the City would likely say no, but what would happen if the neighbors did it without notice to the City? Likely nothing.

I have always wondered if it were possible to gate either end of the alley. I know that the City would likely say no, but what would happen if the neighbors did it without notice to the City? Likely nothing.

In the Heights, you'd probably just end up with a neighbor two blocks over complaining to the City anonymously (or semi-anonymously under the guise of an organization like RUDH) about it, trying to "protect" the neighborhood from well-meaning scoundrels like you.

An email from Heights Kids group today:

"Yes, another one this time on Michaux between Merrill and Omar. My neighbor does not have an alarm system installed in her garage.

She said that on Saturday evening she had worked done on her house so the garage was opened. One of the worker found a man in her garage and started to chase after the man down Michaux heading North. The worker said that he saw the man pulled out what looked like a gun so he stopped chasing the man.

This morning my neighbor found her garage broken into. The man must have been casing the garage and found no alarm system and decided to strike back when no one was around.

We have reported this to the Constable and my neighbor reported this to HPD.

His description below:

-White

-around 240 lbs

-medium height

Had on a baseball cap, black tshirt and shorts

-presumed to be armed"

Just further proof, if you need it, that unless you intend to neutralize the threat you should not even confront it.

I hope the threat is neutralized soon.

An email from Heights Kids group today:

"Yes, another one this time on Michaux between Merrill and Omar. My neighbor does not have an alarm system installed in her garage.

She said that on Saturday evening she had worked done on her house so the garage was opened. One of the worker found a man in her garage and started to chase after the man down Michaux heading North. The worker said that he saw the man pulled out what looked like a gun so he stopped chasing the man.

This morning my neighbor found her garage broken into. The man must have been casing the garage and found no alarm system and decided to strike back when no one was around.

We have reported this to the Constable and my neighbor reported this to HPD.

His description below:

-White

-around 240 lbs

-medium height

Had on a baseball cap, black tshirt and shorts

-presumed to be armed"

Some good news from the kids' forum today.

A mom noticed a Nissan Sentra hanging out by her house this morning. She left to run her kid to school 5 minutes away. When she returned, the Sentra was in front of her house and one of the guys was knocking on her door. He claimed to be looking for someone, gave her a name. As soon as they pulled away, she called the constable with the plates and description. the car was pulled over at Studewood and HIghland shortly after. According to the follow up she got from the police, 2 of the guys in the car were arrested and the car was towed. She doesn't know the whys of either circumstance, or why 2 other guys in the car were allowed to go. In any case, she made a point to the criminals and maybe even got a couple off the street. She said "they are certainly dedicated to be up and ready to rob people before 8 am."

The two most likely reasons that two are arrested and two let go are that a warrant check showed those two were wanted, or during a search the two were found to have drugs on their person. If the car was towed, that would indicate that the driver was arrested. The two who were released were not found to be in possession of contraband, and had not otherwise committed offenses. It is not against the law to knock on someone's door, nor to be confused about which house their "friend" lived in. Suspicions that the story is a lie do not count as probable cause to arrest.

Though it is ultimately a good thing, the neighbor arrived home too soon.

Good for her! My wife thinks I am crazy because anytime I see a car with someone in it when I leave I usually circle back around about 5 minutes later to see if it moved when I did. I know the time it takes to interrupt the burglary is alot less than the time it takes to recover from one, so I usually just run up to the little donut shop at shepherd and 11th and come right back. Im yet to catch a crook but I still do it....plus I always am looking for an excuse for donuts.

Ultimately its likely going to be a vigilant homeowner who catches this line of thieves....hopefully the police just caught half the problem....I just cant see many reasons for 4 people in a Sentra (as opposed to a truck or construction vehicle) to be out and about looking for "friends" at 8am when people are leaving their homes....just aren't too many good explanations for that.

Some good news from the kids' forum today.

A mom noticed a Nissan Sentra hanging out by her house this morning. She left to run her kid to school 5 minutes away. When she returned, the Sentra was in front of her house and one of the guys was knocking on her door. He claimed to be looking for someone, gave her a name. As soon as they pulled away, she called the constable with the plates and description. the car was pulled over at Studewood and HIghland shortly after. According to the follow up she got from the police, 2 of the guys in the car were arrested and the car was towed. She doesn't know the whys of either circumstance, or why 2 other guys in the car were allowed to go. In any case, she made a point to the criminals and maybe even got a couple off the street. She said "they are certainly dedicated to be up and ready to rob people before 8 am."

The two most likely reasons that two are arrested and two let go are that a warrant check showed those two were wanted, or during a search the two were found to have drugs on their person. If the car was towed, that would indicate that the driver was arrested. The two who were released were not found to be in possession of contraband, and had not otherwise committed offenses. It is not against the law to knock on someone's door, nor to be confused about which house their "friend" lived in. Suspicions that the story is a lie do not count as probable cause to arrest.

Though it is ultimately a good thing, the neighbor arrived home too soon.

That makes sense. She just wasn't sure of the particulars.

Good for her! My wife thinks I am crazy because anytime I see a car with someone in it when I leave I usually circle back around about 5 minutes later to see if it moved when I did. I know the time it takes to interrupt the burglary is alot less than the time it takes to recover from one, so I usually just run up to the little donut shop at shepherd and 11th and come right back. Im yet to catch a crook but I still do it....plus I always am looking for an excuse for donuts.

Ultimately its likely going to be a vigilant homeowner who catches this line of thieves....hopefully the police just caught half the problem....I just cant see many reasons for 4 people in a Sentra (as opposed to a truck or construction vehicle) to be out and about looking for "friends" at 8am when people are leaving their homes....just aren't too many good explanations for that.

Ha! While I do not have the dedication to drive back and forth, I think you're right--- it will be vigilant home owners that help solve these problems. We see it all the time. A lot of the happy endings where this kind of crime is concerned come with a "neighbor called it in" type report. I am always encouraging people to be to sure to know your neighbors. You don't have to have them over for dinner, but at least knowing you all have a common goal of safety helps protect your home.

I have good relationships with all the people on my block (except the 2 bachelor brothers who live across the street from each other and hate everyone, esp my Hispanic next door neighbors from the rants the one screams down the street at night- senile bastard- which makes me even less inclined to engage them), although only a few of us are good "friends." We all know enough about one another to know if something is amiss and this helps all of us stay safe. There has not been one break in on my street since I've lived here, knock on wood. I think this is because residents on this block come and go at all hours and there is literally always someone in at least 3 of the houses, and because we all watch out for anything even slightly suspicious.

I'm not so sure it's a good idea to come home and interrupt a thief. If you do intend to do it have a good plan laid out first. My friend came home from a bike ride (Garden Oaks) and a thief had backed his truck up into the driveway and was getting ready to load it. MY friend interrupted him in the foyer and ended up w/ a pistol in his face.

I have to admit when we went on vacation this year, despite the alarm, the constable patrol, a nice neighbor, etc. - I just went ahead and hid my computers and camera before we left.

Cheers

James

I could not agree more. If you are not prepared to greet the thief with a gun just like a cop would, then you should not interrupt it. I bought a gun safe for my house so a thief would not be able to get to my guns inside, and I carry a pistol with me in my truck...There is no way in the world I would ever interrupt a thief empty handed. In fact, if they are already inside my house and I am not, I would not go in. I would call 911 and then wait in an ambush point for them to come out in which case I would have my gun drawn before they even opened the door.

You never know how many people are in your house, and whether or not they are waiting to ambush you....your stuff is not worth your life, so you should not put yourself in more danger than necessary to prevent the robbery. I know my house better than they do, and I would use that knowledge to my advantage to surprise the thief on his exit.

If they come in when I am already inside I have played that scenario out in my head so many times that I can guarantee they would not make it up my staircase alive. I will protect my family with significantly more force than my stuff.

I'm not so sure it's a good idea to come home and interrupt a thief. If you do intend to do it have a good plan laid out first. My friend came home from a bike ride (Garden Oaks) and a thief had backed his truck up into the driveway and was getting ready to load it. MY friend interrupted him in the foyer and ended up w/ a pistol in his face.

I have to admit when we went on vacation this year, despite the alarm, the constable patrol, a nice neighbor, etc. - I just went ahead and hid my computers and camera before we left.

Cheers

James

If they come in when I am already inside I have played that scenario out in my head so many times that I can guarantee they would not make it up my staircase alive. I will protect my family with significantly more force than my stuff.

We are not big NRA types, but we do have a couple of guns locked up in the house. I once asked my blind husband how a gun would be useful if there was a break-in since he can't see 2 feet in front of him. He said "that's why I keep a shot gun. I don't need to aim." He just needs to make sure I'm behind him!

We are not big NRA types, but we do have a couple of guns locked up in the house. I once asked my blind husband how a gun would be useful if there was a break-in since he can't see 2 feet in front of him. He said "that's why I keep a shot gun. I don't need to aim." He just needs to make sure I'm behind him!

Unless your shotgun has a much shorter barrel length than is legal, I'm guessing that he's never fired it at a paper target at close distance. The grouping of pellets at any meaningful interior distance is still so tight that you must still aim. Firing blindly into the dark is dangerous, irresponsible, and likely ineffective.

Shotguns are still a home defense weapon of choice, but primarily because you can use ammunition with poor wall penetration, like birdshot or smaller-diameter buckshot. I recommend #1 buckshot for your situation. It'll probably penetrate a sheetrock wall, but probably won't penetrate your exterior walls and retain much destructive power. And don't forget that you are responsible for any collateral damage caused by a bullet that you fire from your house that leaves your house.

If you are a gun owner, you should be a responsible gun owner. Try taking a gun safety course, whether sponsored by the NRA or not. Being competent and confident about the use of a defensive tool is what makes it effective; otherwise, you're probably better without.

Niche is entirely correct. If you have not shot your gun literally hundreds, if not thousands of times to the point that raising it, aiming it, and firing it are one smooth collected action without any hesitation then you are probably better off not confronting someone unless you have to....I hunt birds all the time, I am a good shot with a shotgun, I do not even think about it when I pick it up. The motion of loading, removing the safety and firing are all done usually without even looking at the gun....and usually with one hand.

The shotgun is my choice weapon for several reasons. 1) The sound of a shotgun cocking is extremely intimidating....I keep a pump around for this reason, even though I hunt primarily with a semi-automatic shotgun. 2) The shotgun does a tremendous amount of damage to flesh at a short range but is unlikely to penetrate two walls of drywall, making it much safer to fire in the house when you may have family members in other room, 3) I know my groupings with the various chokes. I shoot primarily a full choke, but I keep the pump set up with just a Cylinder choke which is the largest spread available without illegally modifying your gun. 4) I have thousands of rounds of shotgun shells at all times because I hunt so frequently....I keep 00 Buck for the house usually loaded in the pump with 00 Buck, 00 Buck and then a slug, but I also have thousands of rounds of BB, BBB, T, 1,2, 4, 6, and 10 in both steel and lead shot.

I am extremely comfortable around guns - Ive shot my pistols hundreds of times, and I am well aware that I cant hit anything with it, so it is my gun of last resort. At 40 feet with 17 shots I may hit a coke can twice. That is terrible....I can hit a torso 17/17 at 40 feet but I am way less comfortable with it....I keep a pistol in the truck but only because a shotgun is too big and can only be concealed behind the back seat, which does me little good.

I bought my wife a pistol that has no safety because she does not shoot frequently enough to remember to remove it, and I taught her how to use it, but since I am officially crazy, and she would likely panic in the event that someone was in the house and I was not - she knows that she is to gather the kids and retreat to the closet where the gun is and just be sure that nobody enters the closet.....I told her you let them take anything in the house they want, but if they try to enter the closet and put their hands on you or the kids you be sure that when they open that door they do not get through it. She is not a big gun person, and she loves me, but she still thinks I am crazy for having anticipated and played out the different scenarios that are unlikely to ever happen.

Personally I am one of those paranoid people, but I do sleep better at night knowing, or at least thinking I know, that I am safe in my home and that I can protect my family.

Unless your shotgun has a much shorter barrel length than is legal, I'm guessing that he's never fired it at a paper target at close distance. The grouping of pellets at any meaningful interior distance is still so tight that you must still aim. Firing blindly into the dark is dangerous, irresponsible, and likely ineffective.

Shotguns are still a home defense weapon of choice, but primarily because you can use ammunition with poor wall penetration, like birdshot or smaller-diameter buckshot. I recommend #1 buckshot for your situation. It'll probably penetrate a sheetrock wall, but probably won't penetrate your exterior walls and retain much destructive power. And don't forget that you are responsible for any collateral damage caused by a bullet that you fire from your house that leaves your house.

If you are a gun owner, you should be a responsible gun owner. Try taking a gun safety course, whether sponsored by the NRA or not. Being competent and confident about the use of a defensive tool is what makes it effective; otherwise, you're probably better without.

This is hilarious. Did I not get the memo that Houston was moved to West Africa? I'm all for responsible gun ownership (viewed as a hobby or sport), but I have seen very few news reports about crimes in the Heights that would necesitate armed response instead of just callng the cops/insurance company. The cases cited here are common law breaking and entering offenses (although they are defined as burgulary under Texas statutes), but this is not armed robbery or home invasion. The Heights is a safe neighborhood where you don't "need" guns. And we have good government. If you don't think so, move to inner city New Orleans for a few years, then let's talk.

If someone has forcibly entered my domicile without my consent, and I am there, and I do not know whether that person is armed, then I do "need" a weapon. Whether government is good, bad, or somewhere along that spectrum makes no difference; police response times are inconsistent. Under these circumstances, a $200 shotgun is a fantastic augment to one's contracted insurance policies.

• Like 1

Well, Marksmu did admit that he is crazy. Some people simply enjoy fantasizing about worst case scenarios, and then overpreparing for them. Though, statistically, an armed burglary of an occupied home is rare (unless one is a drug dealer or jewelry store owner), many people either have an irrational fear of them, or simply use the possibility to justify an increased investment in firearms. I don't find this to be especially dangerous, given that these people also tend to practice with those firearms.

I take a different, but perhaps equally obsessive, approach. I overprepare for hurricanes and the aftermath. Even though I have lived through more hurricanes and near-misses (5) than burglaries (none), neither is a common occurence. However, the hurricane can be much more costly in terms of money and inconvenience, so I spend my idle fantasy time there. My insurance limits any loss incurred by a burglar, and I do not keep many valuables in my house. Other than annoyance, I am not too concerned about burglars. Hurricanes, on the other hand, could knock down my entire house. Much bigger deal.

So, there are your two extremes. Armed to the teeth, alarms, cameras and enactments, versus a couple of dogs and good homeowners insurance. You now have a choice of options.

• Like 2

Well, Marksmu did admit that he is crazy. Some people simply enjoy fantasizing about worst case scenarios, and then overpreparing for them. Though, statistically, an armed burglary of an occupied home is rare (unless one is a drug dealer or jewelry store owner), many people either have an irrational fear of them, or simply use the possibility to justify an increased investment in firearms. I don't find this to be especially dangerous, given that these people also tend to practice with those firearms.

I take a different, but perhaps equally obsessive, approach. I overprepare for hurricanes and the aftermath. Even though I have lived through more hurricanes and near-misses (5) than burglaries (none), neither is a common occurence. However, the hurricane can be much more costly in terms of money and inconvenience, so I spend my idle fantasy time there. My insurance limits any loss incurred by a burglar, and I do not keep many valuables in my house. Other than annoyance, I am not too concerned about burglars. Hurricanes, on the other hand, could knock down my entire house. Much bigger deal.

So, there are your two extremes. Armed to the teeth, alarms, cameras and enactments, versus a couple of dogs and good homeowners insurance. You now have a choice of options.

You are right on.

The most common outcome of having a gun in the house is shooting yourself or family member, to blow away a thief in full glory is statistically rare (and still less than desirable considering the mess that you have to clean up). Why people fantasize about this has very little to do with safety.

You never need a gun until its too late to go get one. There is nothing wrong with being prepared.

Do you have an alarm on your house? You don't need an alarm either. But it sure is a heck of a deterrent and helps you sleep knowing that if someone enters the house you will at least know they are there.

The Heights is a safe neighborhood where you don't "need" guns. And we have good government. If you don't think so, move to inner city New Orleans for a few years, then let's talk.