Weiner's Department Stores

I was browsing the newspaper The Bellaire & Southwestern Texan dated December 15, 1965 and came across an advertisement for Weiner's.

Looking briefly online, the company was started in the 1920s and ended in the 2010's following Hurricane Allison. 

A little confused.  Was this just a clothing store, or an actual department store? Was this a bargain retail store? Anyone know more information about this place? I wonder if there were any in my neighborhood in the Texas Medical Center? 

I know HAIF has a few department store and retail connoisseurs.  Fill me in!!

Ou2PNRe.png

• Like 2

Highrise Tower
This post was recognized by Highrise Tower!

SpaceGhost was awarded the badge 'Superstar' and 1000 points.

Weiner's started off as a local dry goods concern in downtown Houston in the 20s. They grew and morphed into a relatively small department store by the 40s, when compared to something like Foley's. Their downtown store was even smaller than Palais Royal. That being said, outside of their downtown store, they had many shopping center locations similar in size and scope to Palais Royal, but cheaper. They expanded to have over 100 locations throughout Texas, and later into Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. Back in Houston, as time wore on, their locations began to deteriorate, and as demographics shifted Weiner's was somewhat forced to become a discounter. They filed bankruptcy multiple times, but could not recover from Allison. I believe their warehouse flooded, along with many of their local stores which were situated in shopping centers along the bayous. Many of the store leases were purchased Factory 2-U, which eventually converted them into Fallas Paredes before closing the final stores in August 2022.

As for one in the TMC area, I'm sure there's a closer location, but the one I remember on that side of town is S. Loop and Wayside. https://goo.gl/maps/saYerRvRo3azCjbN6

• Like 3

Back in the day, Weiner's were dry goods stores, carrying clothing and shoes, not full-fledged department stores. They carried good quality name brands at reasonable prices, but not high end fashion.

We shopped at the one in the big strip center on Bellaire Blvd. Between Braes Blvd. and Stella Link.

One of the founder's sons (Abe Weiner) went on his own and founded Leonard's Stores. I don't think he expanded outside of Houston.

• Like 1

Growing up, I went to the one in Rosenberg in Lamar Plaza, back when that center still had a decent roster of tenants.

As was mentioned before, the "Palais Royal, but cheaper" comment pretty much reflects the shopping experience there. Decent clothes for fairly good prices. I don't think I had a bad experience there - there was always something I didn't mind wearing (not that I had tons of say) available.

• Like 2

Shopped in multiple Wiener's growing up.    They seemed to be aiming to be the main clothing store in every large town in Texas - usually in the local shopping center anchored by a Kroger's or similar.    It was often the only place in town you could buy gym clothes with the local school mascot that seemed to be mandatory to wear to P,E.

And every Wiener's store I was ever in had the same smell.   I guess it was their cleaning products.  Wasn't the most pleasant aroma.

• Like 1