Let's Talk About Fifth Ward

Subdude

lol, I got a chuckle as I passed by Sukos. I was like "so, is this 'suck-os" or "soo-kows?" Maybe it's Greek or something.

Man, the SSP crowd freakin' loved this. "OMG THIS IS DEPLORABLE" "HOW COULD A LARGE CITY BE LIKE THIS" and more. I've never had more reaction to any one shoot I did.

So, where to next? Waiting for this weather to clear up. I'm tired of shooting on cloudy days.

Great set jfre81!

where to next? how about farther out east down Harrisburg, some more stuff you would never expect to see in the 3rd/4th largest country in the USA.

Don't bother with Sukos Burger. I don't know how they stay in business, honestly.

you had it a bit earlier, nutria burgers aren't quite as tasty as buffalo burgers.

possum on a stick on the other hand, amazing with the right BBQ rub.

Edited by samagon

lol, I got a chuckle as I passed by Sukos. I was like "so, is this 'suck-os" or "soo-kows?" Maybe it's Greek or something.

Man, the SSP crowd freakin' loved this. "OMG THIS IS DEPLORABLE" "HOW COULD A LARGE CITY BE LIKE THIS" and more. I've never had more reaction to any one shoot I did.

So, where to next? Waiting for this weather to clear up. I'm tired of shooting on cloudy days.

Heh, this tells me all I need to know about the SSP forum. This is EXACTLY what a big city is all about. It's the ugly and the

industrial and ramshackle doing the dirty work, so theorists can draw pictures of tall shiny things ( which few people can

afford to build, much less live in).

Since you've opened the door to the east end, I agree that going further down Harrisburg and surrounds is a great idea. Looking forward to your next installment!

• Like 1

Heh, this tells me all I need to know about the SSP forum. This is EXACTLY what a big city is all about. It's the ugly and the

industrial and ramshackle doing the dirty work, so theorists can draw pictures of tall shiny things ( which few people can

afford to build, much less live in).

Great photos. Thanks for posting. I think there is beauty in the fact that neighborhoods thrive even in the midst of decay. We decry the loss of some of the charming buildings in West U, The Heights, and other neighborhoods but in the East End, many similar structures (though in need of maintenance and repair) are still there waiting for more enlightened owners to preserve them. In the meantime they are being used as well as they might. If you want to see true urbanism in Houston drive, or better walk, down Harrisburg Avenue on a Saturday. The place is alive with activity.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to take a bike ride through the Fifth on Sunday and take some pictures. Any points of note I should hit? I was thinking Frenchtown (and the Silver Slipper), Burt's & Davis meat markets, that big mural of Fifth Ward residents...what else? Ideas?

I'm going to take a bike ride through the Fifth on Sunday and take some pictures. Any points of note I should hit? I was thinking Frenchtown (and the Silver Slipper), Burt's & Davis meat markets, that big mural of Fifth Ward residents...what else? Ideas?

How about Our Mother of Mercy Catholic Church on Sumpter?

• 1 year later...

I avoid the Fifth Ward as much as possible. When I think of that area I think of crime and decay, and they have earned that reputation. In the minds of many (if not most) people from Houston and the surrounding areas this is how it will stay for a long time. Sorry, but I don't think that image will ever be pushed out of my mind, no matter how much renovation they might do down there.

• Like 2

Its the ward where people actually owned the land and unlike third, which is a shell of its former self, the average 5th ward resident won't leave

It has always been the toughest ward but it was the first to suffer as growth to the north and east hurt the area as 5th never had an industry (3rd ward has 2 colleges and better proximity) to fall back on.

Third Ward has benefited from location and beautification projects driven by the schools plus it has affluent areas that houses movers and shakers if the city. Outside of Brown and Root, 5th ward never had an economic engine to fall back on to keep the area from crumbling.

• 1 year later...

I was riding around 3rd Ward and East End this weekend. Went to Ninfa's on Saturday (delicious).

I was on Gregg St, south of I-10. I see townhomes/lofts/condos going up. I crossed I-10, and I was in 5th Ward, and it looked like no improvement is even being considered.

Don't get me wrong, I know 5th Ward is currently undesirable, but so is/were all the other Wards that are now gentrified.

Question - How long until someone 'takes a chance' and builds on what must be fairly prime location?

I agree with you. I was raised in 5th ward and it has gone down terribly. I remember when the street sweepers came around twice a week to clean the streets in

5th ward. I-10 ran right in front of the apartment I grew up in. I saw them tear down the old neighborhood to make way for the I-10 freeway. The freeway stopped

at Gregg street and it took years for them to complete the rest. There was a place bordered by Clinton Drive (south), 59 freeway (west), Collingsworth (north) and Gregg St (east). This area was called "French Town". This is where my grand parents lived. My grandfather was a carpenter and was the builder for many of the

rent houses that was located within this area of 5th ward. My parents had businesses in that area also. It was a very vibrant fun place to be. Once you get there,

you never wanted to leave. It just sucked you in, embraced you, and accepted you as one of them. My grandfather worked hard Mon thru Friday and Friday night,

it was Zydeco time. They played just as hard as they worked. There was my grandfather & grandmother, their five sons and five daughters. Needless to say, there

was a lot of grandchildren, which I was one of them. Sometime my grand parents would have a barrel in the yard and they would put wood in it and start a fire. It

was so nice because we kids would sit on the steps and listen to the adults tell stories of their lives and about things that happened in their lives. It was so interesting. I learned a lot about family just by listening to their stories. Other times, my grand father, his sons, and his cousin would grab some musical instruments

and begin playing the zydeco while we kids would commence dancing to the music. One person would get a rub board, one would get the accordion, one would get an old bucket that had a hole in it, and they would put a knot in a string, thread it into the hole of the bucket, attach the other end of the string to the top of a

broom stick and that would be the bass. Another one would have two spoons playing them together to make a tune. They played while sitting on the porch and we kids would dance in the streets. This was in the 1950 - 1960 before the 1964 civil rights act bill was passed. We had fun! We were family, all of us! If you came

to French Town, you were one of us and that is all there was to it. That is why nobody every wanted to leave. Now, I visited Houston a few years ago and the area

that I grew up in is completely demolished. Nothing could I see that I remembered. All the houses are gone, the lots are overgrown with weeds and trash, the City

of Houston does not clean up it's streets any more. It used to be so pretty and green. Now, it looks like a large slum with a few roses (new homes) trying to grow

amongst the weeds. What has happened to "French Town" and the Historical Society of Houston, TX?

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Looks like a lot has been going on the past few months in 5th ward and wanted to keep you all involved. Currently there are discussions going on between 5th ward and GEEM about the areas redevlopment.

- Contractors have come in to showcase their sites to the community and expectaions are high for the kbr lot and Frank Liu's Mdi site. Can't show the pic of the development but its dense walkable and mixed income. (about 300-400 homes)

- Urban living is buying large bits of property in the area with Unique developer and trimeric signs already posted.

- Urban lofts is starting constriction of their new townhomes

- GEEM and 5th ward are in the talks with HEB and CVS about starting stores near the area (rumor right now)

- Kbr lot officially changes hands at the end of this year to its developer.

The photo was posted on the "Bottom of the Fifth" community page on Nextdoor. Nextdoor is a webpage/app used for communities to stay connected.

It was snapped by a neighbor who attended a recent community meeting. Frank Liu also attended and presented his updated plans for the former MDI Superfund site that was cleared years ago for development.

Here are the old plans from 07 with some additional info: http://swamplot.com/fifth-ward-new-urbanists-meet-old-toxic-waste/

The area of the photo showing this proposed development is just below the "C" triangle and above Clinton street running along the bottom. Hope that helps.  

Thanks 'Strosfan. Helps a lot. Liu's plans look very dense.

This area "Bottom of the 5th" is very interesting. And a The Bayou and the trails around there are wild, beautiful and just amazing. Hopefully the developers of the KBR will discuss their intentions soon after the transfer is complete. Looks like the clean-up there has been completed. At least they have stopped carrying off and replacing the top several feet of soil.

Thanks for the info guys.

• 4 weeks later...

On a bike ride last weekend I noticed that a Boat Ramp was being constructed on the south side of Buffalo Bayou, across N. York St from the Park.  This will be very cool if people will be able to lauch boats here.  Think I saw something about a land swap with Buffalo Bayou Partnership and the Parks Board...involving this parcel. 

• 5 months later...

1509 Everett (the one on the right) for sale... nice highly detailed cottage. Somehow, I doubt this area will be untouched by the rapid gentrification of the Downtown periphery, even with all the noted isolating barriers.

HAR lists the house as yr. built. 1930. I'm guessing, older.

http://search.har.com/engine/1509-Everett-Houston-TX-77009_HAR83974894.htm

post-5666-0-22500000-1403707593_thumb.jp

post-5666-0-04107300-1403707608_thumb.jp

Edited by NenaE

1509 Everett (the one on the right) for sale... nice highly detailed cottage. Somehow, I doubt this area will be untouched by the rapid gentrification of the Downtown periphery, even with all the noted isolating barriers.

HAR lists the house as yr. built. 1930. I'm guessing, older.

http://search.har.com/engine/1509-Everett-Houston-TX-77009_HAR83974894.htm

With an asking price of $180,000 and already pending, I would say it has already  been touched by the rapid gentrification.  Great location; lots of appreciation to come for that neighborhood, I think.

Your guess as to the age appears to be correct.  According to the listing, the Appraisal District has it listed as being built in 1930.  But the description of the property says "around 1890".

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

That house is not in 5th Ward.

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/HistoricPres/landmarks/10PL91_William_Shipp_House_1511_Everett.pdf

Everett Street - home owner history. This house sits right next to the one listed in my original post. 1509 Everett is visible (to the left of ) the restored home (in the photo) included in the Historical Designation report.

"Near Northside" - see Historical Significance... in link above.

Near Northside

Houston’s Near Northside neighborhood dates from the 1880s, when residential development began

to meet the expansion of the adjacent railyards. The Near Northside was once part of the Fifth

Ward that was formed in 1866 out of the First and Second wards north of Buffalo Bayou and east of

White Oak Bayou. Houston’s wards were established as political districts, each represented by

elected aldermen. When Houston adopted a commission form of government in 1905, the political

life of the wards ended yet their name continues to this day to describe geographic areas of the inner

city. Today, the western boundary of the Fifth Wad zigzags between Maury and Hwy 59, and the

area west of Maury to I-45 is known as the Near Northside.

1511 Everett - http://search.har.com/engine/1511-Everett-St-Houston-TX-77009_HAR9325696.htm

Houston's Wards - 1913 Map: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Ward,_Houston#mediaviewer/File:MapHouston1913.jpg

This area has some really nice older homes. I really hope it manages to hold on to its railroad identity, in the coming gentrification years. 

Edited by NenaE

But it's not 5th Ward anymore, as stated it is Near Northside and has been for quite some time. Many of those houses are in danger though. That community is currently fighting to "protect" the area. They support an initiative for minimum lot size because they do not want townhomes being built. Fortunately they will lose.

Edited by xsatyr

They don't like the idea of densification or gentrification. So it's not really just about townhouses. They don't want to see a high volume of traffic or rising taxes. That is beyond absurd considering they live right next to downtown in one of the fastest growing cities in the nation.

Edited by xsatyr