Let's Talk About Fifth Ward

Subdude

How is fighting against townhomes a "bad" thing?  :angry2:

It's not.

They don't like the idea of densification or gentrification. So it's not really just about townhouses. They don't want to see a high volume of traffic or rising taxes. That is beyond absurd considering they live right next to downtown in one of the fastest growing cities in the nation.

They are probably trying to preserve their way of life and their home... I doubt they are against "gentrification"

Many of them are against gentrification. They are going door to door warning us about rising taxes and increase in traffic from the potential addition of affluent neighbors. Their way of life and home is directly affected by gentrification.

Edited by xsatyr

They don't like the idea of densification or gentrification. So it's not really just about townhouses. They don't want to see a high volume of traffic or rising taxes. That is beyond absurd considering they live right next to downtown in one of the fastest growing cities in the nation.

I wouldn't consider it "beyond absurd", since so many people really don't want to see their neighborhood altered. It's not exactly "right next to downtown" either. Yeah, it's closer to downtown than say, Katy, but there's highways and the bayou separating it.

• 4 weeks later...

from Houston-Architectural Guide (1972) 

North Central area - nice candid photos included, but frustrating, no locations mentioned. 

Does anyone recognize this building? If it sat on Lyons, it's probably gone.

I'm guessing late 1920's, built - time period, Spanish style. It reminds me of a fire station, with that drive-thru feature. As far as I know, most stations sat on corners, and did not have canopies. Maybe early apartments, It's nice, whatever it was.

post-5666-0-61452700-1407465793_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

I know this sounds a little morbid, but perhaps an old funeral home? Hearse goes in the tunnel, delivers to a side door within? With that canopy over the front door, that was my initial thought.

I'm probably way off, lol. It'd certainly make me think twice about eating at the barbecue joint next door if it was...

Edited by Purpledevil

That photo is either from the late '60's or early '70's. The building if from the 1920's when the Spanish style was popular. This is my conclusion, of course, from hints from the book, and what I've learned from research. I suspect this structure was an early apartment complex, with parking in the rear. It definitely sat somewhere in the Fifth Ward, on a busy street. I love the look of those canopies. Too bad so many have disappeared. So many buildings in Downtown had them.

Edited by NenaE

• 3 months later...

Here is the bldg. from my post #27. I enlarged the area at the top. I think there may be a name. It was a common practice back in the 20's. Can anyone tell what it is? 

post-5666-0-31701200-1418608770_thumb.jp

Edited by NenaE

A mortuary with on-site residence for the mortician? (the apartment to the left).  As noted the business next door was a bar-b-q joint.  The Fifth Ward was known as the barbecue ward.  Here's an old article in the Press which names some of the places.  J.C. Reid did a similar article earlier this year in the Chron, behind the paywall so I've never read it.

I thought maybe Kozy Kitchen, 1202 Lockwood, which I went to once and remembered as a wood-frame building, although larger than that appears to be.  However the current street view shows Kozy Kitchen (closed) in a brick building.

Maybe if someone has access to white pages/yellow pages from that era (60s) they could look for barbecue places in the Nickel, then compare addresses for mortuaries.

ETA the links.

Edited by brucesw
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Fifth Ward Redevelopment
  • The title was changed to Fifth Ward
  • The topic was pinned