James Wright Mansion At 2317 Louisiana St.

I was searching Ebay for historical Houston items and found an unknown photograph of a large mansion located at 2317 Louisiana Street.  I searched, briefly, in the libraries and couldn't find anything.

I wonder the decade and date? Looks like the 1920s to me, but I could be wrong. 

Looks like a residential mansion, but could have been used as a hospital/sanitarium at one point. 

The top and bottom borders say "owl" on them. I wonder if there was any relation to Rice University?

HAIF historians, any information on this one? 

szmsu8P.png

niLA4WA.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't really find anything either of than a reference for a student with an amateur radio license living at the address.   The 1907 Sanborn Fire maps show a large house at the address.  Note the front looks like an addition to convert it to apartments or some type of multi-person residence.   I think OWL is the photographer.  Other records show an OWL Foto Studio in business around that time.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 9:56 PM, jallaway said:

I couldn't really find anything either of than a reference for a student with an amateur radio license living at the address.   The 1907 Sanborn Fire maps show a large house at the address.  Note the front looks like an addition to convert it to apartments or some type of multi-person residence.   I think OWL is the photographer.  Other records show an OWL Foto Studio in business around that time.

Do you have the name of the student?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to James Wright Mansion At 2317 Louisiana St.