Metro Eyes Other Options....

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/m...politan/2858748

Oct. 21, 2004, 12:07AM

At forum, Metro weighs whether it's on the right track

11 alternative transit systems presented at event

By LUCAS WALL

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Imagine zipping to Bush Intercontinental Airport from downtown in less than 10 minutes.

Sound like fantasy? It isn't fantasy for travelers in Shanghai, China, who since April have been able to take a high-speed magnetic levitation train that carries them 19 miles to the airport there in eight minutes at up to 270 mph.

"We are now a mature, safe and reliable technology," said Larry Blow of Transrapid International-USA. "Our costs are competitive with any high-speed rail system."

The Metropolitan Transit Authority is holding this week's Advanced Transportation Technology Forum at the behest of U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Sugar Land, a longtime rail opponent who has expressed skepticism at plans to construct another 65 miles of light rail in the next two decades.

Houston-area voters approved the Metro Solutions transit-expansion plan last year. It includes a provision for light rail service to Bush Intercontinental by 2025. Such an extension of the existing Main Street line would offer travelers a trip that could take up to 50 minutes with a maximum potential speed of 66 mph. The trip by bus today takes an hour.

With criticism from DeLay and many others that light rail alone won't be enough to efficiently move people outside automobiles, Metro invited speakers to present 11 modes of rapid transit.

A panel of 11 experts from around the country is here evaluating each presentation and will present its findings at Friday's concluding roundtable.

"We want to go boldly forward like others have when faced and confronted with mobility problems," said Frank Wilson, Metro president and CEO, who noted that traffic congestion consistently ranks as Harris County voters' top concern. "Our mission clearly is to make this problem go away. The solution, I think, is in creative ideas. This forum will help us set them in motion."

'An oudated vision'

DeLay, the keynote speaker at Wednesday's session, said transportation projects need to be designed to meet the needs of the public, not the desires of planners.

"Unfortunately our transportation policy, and spending in particular, is still governed by an outdated vision," DeLay told the audience of about 100. "This past year, the city of Houston

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Debate club lets candidates speak out

By SYDNEY IGLEHEART, Citizen Reporter

Many Bay Area residents were under the impression House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Sugarland) would not be attending the student-coordinated forum, however, he and all of his opponents were on hand last night for an informal debate.

Issues ranged from the San Jacinto rail project to homeland security. Each candidate was given a minute and a half to speak, while audience members applauded and occasionally laughed at the candidates' views.

Democratic candidate Richard Morrison began, "I want to go to congress and deal with the healthcare crisis that we're in...Congressman Tom DeLay just passed a $400,000 raise for himself."

Tom Morrison, the Libertarian candidate opened with, "as a Libertarian I want to point out that we're for limited government and I know that scares some people because that means you have to rely more on yourself...we have too much government and not enough self-reliance."

Noting himself as a terrorism expert, independent candidate Michael Fjetland, emphasized his interest in protecting the U.S. from future terrorist attacks.

Current U.S. Representative for District 22, DeLay began the forum noting his three "guiding principles-ensuring our security, growing within our economy, and defending the family."

After opening remarks candidates were asked questions put together by the Clear Lake High School debate team and previously submitted questions by audience members.

"A congressman should represent the people of his district, not the railroads and corporations," said Richard Morrison, District 22 Democratic candidate. "I will spend my last dying blood to make sure this rail line does not come into your neighborhoods."

DeLay denied the allegations that he was representing railroads and corporations stating that the U.S. needs a "comprehensive plan."

Michael Fjetland, independent candidate, said he believes the U.S. has "too much reliance on railroads," while Libertarian candidate Tom Morrison said that it is "close to schools, and therefore it has to be safe...we have to look at all the ramifications."

When asked how the candidates proposed to improve education, DeLay said it "is not my job to improve education...it is the job of the state board of education. Education is a local issue, which should not be handled by bureaucracy."

Fjetland did not agree with DeLay and said "the pension plans which were changed while DeLay was in congress were grossly unfair to teachers."

Richard Morrison said, "We should hold DeLay accountable for the broken 'Robin Hood' program."

Libertarian candidate Tom Morrison continued with DeLay's ideas, saying that the community has the responsibility of education, "it should not be determined by who pays for it."

Early voting began Monday and ends Oct. 29. On Saturday Oct. 23 voting polls will be open from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. and on Sunday Oct. 24 from 1 p.m. until 6 p.m.

Early voting locations for the Pasadena area include I.B.E.W. Hall #66 at 4345 Allen Genoa Rd. and Harris County Courthouse Annex #25 at 7330 Spencer Hwy.

These locations change frequently and for more information voters should call (713) 368-2200 or visit www.harrisvotes.com or www.hcvoter.net

come on mr. editor, (why do i always seem to take up for mr. delay when all i want is a little objectivity?) tom delay realizes that it's a real downer to spend 50 minutes on a light rail line to IAH. the current bus travel time is 60 minutes. why spend millions on a light rail line to IAH. personally, i want high speed. we are SPACE city and should think of ourselves as such. we are an enormous city geographically.

And this morning, millions of people in Houston got to work using the same old transit system perfected in Michigan by Henry Ford in 1908.  What's your point, Mister DeLay?  Are you trying to say that people in Houston shouldn't go anywhere until we have personal rocketships, or teleporters?

Houston will never be a world-class city if Tom DeLay has anything to say about it.

OR, if we urbanize things enough, we can utilize what man has had since the beginning of time- walking! :lol:

Don't be surprised if Rep. DeLay's interest suddenly wanes on Nov. 3rd...

Good point!

I'm sorry but that man just makes me mad every time I see him on TV or read about him in the paper. I honestly think Metro could build a 270 MPH private rail line for his own personal use and nobody else's from his front door in Sugar Land to the gate for his flight to DC at IAH and he still wouldn't be happy.

I have yet to see any proof that his being elected to Congress has really benefited the average person in Houston or Texas one bit.

come on mr. editor,  (why do i always seem to take up for mr. delay when all i want is a little objectivity?)  tom delay realizes that it's a real downer to spend 50 minutes on a light rail line to IAH.    the current bus travel time is 60 minutes.  why spend millions on a light rail line to IAH.    personally, i want high speed.  we are SPACE city and should think of ourselves as such.  we are an enormous city geographically.

Well said, I totally agree with this post. I want high speed as well...

I've always supported a rail system in Houston, and I do sort of like the system we ended up building, but I'm disappointed with how slow it is.

And I'm certainly no fan of Mr. Delay... never have been.

Well, the plan metro for the north rail line is a line diverting from from Northline into two directions. One would head towards greenspoint and then towards IAH. The OTHER line would go STRAIT to IAH as an express. Yes, they were still be a considerable amount of time from IAH to downtown but only the northline to downtown part would be slower, and not by much more then driving down.

Delay, once again proves he has a tendency to just go after his own personal interests as far as I'm concerned.

On Nov. 3rd, he faces re-election, let's hope he loses.

Ricco

I'm glad that Delay has stood up against wasteful transit spending over the years. Light rail in cities like Houston is near the top of the wasteful spending list. In fact, I consider the nationwide fixation on light rail and the scramble to get federal money as pork-barrel spending at its worst. The planned light rail routes in Houston are pure political animals (have nothing to do with good transportation planning) and just payoff to contractors and consultants, many of whom I'm sure are Lee Brown's cronies.

I'm all in favor of cost-effective transit solutions, like buses on HOV lanes. It costs way less than light rail, gets more people out of their cars, and is FAST - not maddeningly slow on city streets.

I'm skeptical a light rail could get from downtown to IAH in 50 minutes. That Northline route winds like a snake. Doesn't it take 30-35 miles to go the 7 miles from Reliant to downtown? Anyways, taking the Hardy Toll road you can get to the airport in 20 minutes. How about an express bus if they really want airport transit?

That being said, Delay has been pushing the limits of ethical behavior for years is walking on thin ice right now. He could join the long list of congressional leaders who have fallen by the wayside, including Newt Gingrich, Jim Wright, Tom Foley, and Dan Rostenkowski. They always seem to succumb to corruption.

Max,

I'm not going to debate you on whether or not on alot of the points you mentioned about Lee's cronies and whatnot. Personally, I think you're a doing a bit of fantasy.

The light rail system, I believe would provide an excellent alternative to people that live within the city of Houston. It's the later stages of construction that will benefit commuters.

In regards to the current light rail line: a system is as good as you use it.

VERY few people will ride the entire length. From the conversations I've had with people. A large number of people that park on the south lot use it to go to the medical center to save on parking (whether as employees, visotors or what have you). Personally, I park at Sears on Main. hop on the train, get off at Dryden, do what I need to do, get out (usually 30-45 minutes) and go to my car w/o a problem. I don't have to pay $5 for parking (not to mention the 20-30 minutes just to FIND a parking spot) I'm out of the medical center in under 10-20 minutes.

When going to baseball games, I generally park on the south lot because I don't want to fight for parking, and I want the "35 minutes" to help sober up after the game. :)

Transit: it's what you use it for.

The plan from Northline for the EXPRESS to IAH has merit would probably take a trip in under 20 minutes. Remember, it takes 20 minutes just to find your car! And THAT is if you parked on site! (plus the $5-20 a day parking for onsite or offsite parking)

Before you start talking about costs and ineffiency, you need to remember that transit service many needs to many people.

Ricco

The planned light rail routes in Houston are pure political animals (have nothing to do with good transportation planning) and just payoff to contractors and consultants, many of whom I'm sure are Lee Brown's cronies.

I disagree. All of the planned light rail routes hit areas that are either already heavily dependent on public transit or link up a series of existing park and ride lots and transit centers (Westpark). If the light rail routes are nothing more than payoffs to contractors and consultants, then we would have had rail back in the 1980s, when there was one transportation study after another conducted here. I'm no big fan of Lee Brown's tenure as mayor, but I do think the contruction of the Main St. light rail line is a major accomplishment that he has some responsibility for, and it is one of the city's greatest improvements in infrastructure in decades.

I'm all in favor of cost-effective transit solutions, like buses on HOV lanes. It costs way less than light rail, gets more people out of their cars, and is FAST - not maddeningly slow on city streets.
The light rail lines for the most part aren't designed to take people off the freeways, but they are designed to get people off the streets. Look at the current Main St. line. It serves many residential areas that already exist near the line, as well as new ones being built. I live at Kirby and North Braeswood and take the 4 Beechnut bus to the TMC Transit Center and then the rail line downtown several times a week. It takes me about 20-30 minutes from the time I step on the bus to be at my destination. Last week I drove downtown. It took me nearly 40 minutes to drive there in traffic (my car, unlike the light rail vehicles, can't make a red light turn green for me), park, and then walk six blocks to my destination. I paid nearly $5 for parking. The rail line costs me less than $2 roundtrip (I use a Metro stored value card that gets me about $6.50 in free rides per card). I don't waste gas. I don't add to the wear on my car and it's faster than driving. And, I usually read a book or magazine while in transit, which I wouldn't be doing if driving. The rail line is a lot of things, but it is "maddeningly slow." Maybe if there was a freeway with no traffic from my front door to downtown I might see it that way, but compared to the alternative (driving on city streets and parking) it's faster and far less stressful. HOV lanes and buses on freeways may work for people living in the suburbs, but those solutions do nothing to address mobility problems in the inner city.
I'm skeptical a light rail could get from downtown to IAH in 50 minutes. That Northline route winds like a snake. Doesn't it take 30-35 miles to go the 7 miles from Reliant to downtown? Anyways, taking the Hardy Toll road you can get to the airport in 20 minutes. How about an express bus if they really want airport transit?

The Northline route will have fewer stops and they will be farther apart. The slowest sections of the Main St. line by far are downtown and the Medical Center, where there is a lot of car and pedestrian traffic and light stops are close together. These won't be issues on the extensions into the neighborhoods. Additionally, as ricco67 has already said, the plan is for the line to branch at the Northline Transit Center with an express line from that point to the airport.

I also question getting from downtown to IAH in 20 minutes via the Hardy Toll Road. In no traffic and going slightly above the speed limit that may be possible, but it doesn't include parking the car, and either walking to the terminal (on site parking) or taking a shuttle (satellite parking). At best you're looking at 30-40 minutes from getting in the car downtown to walking in the door of the airport; with traffic the way it usually is getting from downtown to the Hardy and dealing with traffic in and around the airport, 50-60 minutes is probably a more realistic estimate. That puts driving in the same time range as taking as the light rail line to make the trip.

come on mr. editor,  (why do i always seem to take up for mr. delay when all i want is a little objectivity?)  tom delay realizes that it's a real downer to spend 50 minutes on a light rail line to IAH.    the current bus travel time is 60 minutes.  why spend millions on a light rail line to IAH.    personally, i want high speed.  we are SPACE city and should think of ourselves as such.  we are an enormous city geographically.

I can't speak for many other cities, because there's only a few that I've taken the train directly from the airport to downtown.

In Chicago, the trip is 45 minutes.

In Amsterdam it's closer to an hour.

In London (Gatwick) it was over an hour.

50 minutes isn't that bad. And more importantly, it will spur economic growth in parts of the city that badly need it.

The main purpose of mass transit is to get the most people from point A to point B as FAST as possible, not to spur economic development or revitalize neighborhoods. The new extensions need to be in their own dedicated right of way to maximize speed and safety.

ELEVATED

The HOV/bus system isn't that great. Even if you use the park & ride, the buses still have to go to their stops and pick up passengers before they can enter the freeway. I did that for jury duty and it took over an hour before we could get going.

The main purpose of mass transit is to get the most people from point A to point B as FAST as possible, not to spur economic development or revitalize neighborhoods.  The new extensions need to be in their own dedicated right of way to maximize speed and safety.

ELEVATED

Perhaps we need to define our terms.

Mass transit's purpose is to move masses of people, irrespective of distance. By spurring dense economic development, there's the side benefit of revitalized neighborhoods, and shorter trips to shopping, work, entertainment, etc.

Rapid transit's purpose is to move people long distances quickly. To assume that this is somehow a more desirable goal is a fallacy much beloved by anti-rail forces. There's no advantage in going further and faster for its own sake. Rapid transit offers an alternative to crowded freeways; mass transit, an alternative to crowded streets.

The main purpose of mass transit is to get the most people from point A to point B as FAST as possible, not to spur economic development or revitalize neighborhoods.  The new extensions need to be in their own dedicated right of way to maximize speed and safety.

ELEVATED

Welcome to the forum yaga.

If only things were that simple. Even if that were the main purpose, the fact remains that transit systems do have an impact on economics and neighborhoods, and these have to be considered in planning. So do a lot of other factors, such as cost, mode, safety, effective routes, the appropriate number and location of stops, etc. Speed is just one issue of many, which is why these decisions always require a lot of tradeoffs.

Welcome to the forum yaga. 

If only things were that simple.  Even if that were the main purpose, the fact remains that transit systems do have an impact on economics and neighborhoods, and these have to be considered in planning.  So do a lot of other factors, such as cost, mode, safety, effective routes, the appropriate number and location of stops, etc.  Speed is just one issue of many, which is why these decisions always require a lot of tradeoffs.

Very well put, I do understand that all these factors need to be considered in planning. I guess I'm just fustrated that we are not getting a more modern innovative rail system. Personally, I'm not a big fan of trains snaking their way through neighborhoods at 35 mph, sharing the roads with automobile traffic. ;)

after reading everyone's posts on this issue, i've come to realize that high speed transit to the airport would only serve the people who travel the most. unless business and leisure travelers' spending justifies a megamillion dollar high speed transit system to IAH, i must relent that other practical considerations be met first.

after reading everyone's posts on this issue, i've come to realize that high speed transit to the airport would only serve the people who travel the most.  unless business and leisure travelers' spending justifies a megamillion dollar high speed transit system to IAH, i must relent that other practical considerations be met first.

It's a problem all cities face -- You have X number of dollars to spend. Do you spend a portion of that to make things better for visitors and tourists who might or might not contribute enough money to exceed that portion, or do you put the whole thing into the local population, since that's where it came from, but potentially deny them greater facilities that would be possible through increased outside tax revenue?

That's probably the longest sentence I've ever written. I hope it makes sense.

How about this -- We add a $2 tax to each incoming and outging passenger, and devote that money exclusively to building rail to the airports. That way the people who use it most will pay the most to have it built.

According to the Airports Council International's 2003 numbers, that would mean $68,309,148 a year. Surely with that much to work with, it could even be built on a pay-as-you-go basis.

Of course, the other side of it is that event planners and others considering Houston as a destination will factor the extra tax into their plans, and may choose to go elsewhere, depriving the city of outside tax dollars. Sure, it's only $2 for each boarding, but when you're planning an event that will attract 20,000 people it adds up.

I have never before read anything about "express" trains from Northline to IAH. As far as I can tell from Metro's plan documents, there is no such plan. At the very least, they plan a stop at Greenspoint. I hope they will run both express trains and "local" service trains, like they do in Chicago. I would like to see them run "Express" trains all the way to downtown, perhaps stopping at Greenspoint and Northline on the way. Of course running both express and local trains on the same tracks requires additional trackage, so that the local service trains can be stopped at a station while the express train zips on by on the adjacent tracks.

Re: Tom Delay. Some of you guys need to chill a bit. What is wrong with examining all the available technologies? Why should Houston NOT push the envelope a bit? While the light rail is not identical in every detail to 19th century streetcars, the technology is essentially the same - an electric-powered car riding on steel rails, sharing the street with other traffic. Yes, we now have level boarding; yes, we now have doors that open wide; yes, we now have air conditioning; yes, we no longer stop along the way like buses do. Many comfort and convenience improvements have been made in buses and cars over the last 100 years as well... Nevertheless, they are still buses and cars and we don't pretend they are not the same basic technology we were enjoying 100 years ago.

Very well put, I do understand that all these factors need to be considered in planning.  I guess I'm just fustrated that we are not getting a more modern innovative rail system.  Personally, I'm not a big fan of trains snaking their way through neighborhoods at 35 mph, sharing the roads with automobile traffic. ;)

Well, ideally we'd have the money to build it under the streets as a subway, but that's not going to happen. But again, you have to consider what the rail lines here are designed to do -- move people more efficiently than the buses do, as well as spur development and increase transit usage. As I've said before, look at the Main St. line. Transit times through that corridor are much faster on the light rail than they were on buses because of fewer stops, faster boarding, and signal priority. At the same time, numerous slow moving buses have been taken off Main, Fannin, and San Jacinto between the Medical Center and north end of downtown. That makes transit for those in their cars in the corridor more efficient as well, because there are fewer buses stopping every other block or so and holding up traffic.

Street running light rail isn't perfect, and I won't say it's always better than an elevated or subway line. But I will say that based on my experience of riding in-street lines in several other cities, ours is on par with others, and in many ways, much better. I've ridden lines in San Francisco and Boston where signal priority for trains was nonexistent, or even worse, where each intersection was controlled by a four-way stop sign that the train stop for as well. You haven't seen slow until you're on a train that stops at every block. And Metro was smart enough to design and operate the trains so that they would not block intersections when stopped at stations and signals. I've seen this happen frequently in other cities, and it's got to be very frustrating for drivers.

I am sorry, but why should anyone have to chill when it comes to DeLay?

The man single-handedly witheld federal MONEY earmarked for Houston forcing us to pay way more than our share. He then said he wouldn't hi-jack future plans for rail if the voters passed the referendum. Well, guess what? The plan did pass and he is indeed holding up the process. Seems like flip-flopping to me.

AND, if you believe this man has positive motivations, then you probably also believe we still might find WMDs in Iraq!

Additionally, the man has gerrymandered the entire Houston area, not to serve the people, but rather to serve the Republican Party. Get back to me when you think carving out the Clear Lake area around NASA and putting it with Ft. Bend County burbs is a good idea for anyone other than DeLay.

Of course, none of this even begins to talk about all of his apparent troubles with upholding the law...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DeLay faces three opponents in District 22 race

By: SESHADRI KUMAR, Editor, 10/19/2004

The U.S. District 22 Congressional race involving Republican House Majority Leader Tom DeLay of Sugar Land is being keenly watched nationwide. Because of his position and his aggressive actions in promoting the cause of his political party, DeLay has incurred the wrath of opponents across the country, who would like to see him defeated. But, DeLay remains confident and says he will continue the work he has been doing, both locally and nationally.

Richmond Attorney Richard Morrison, a Democrat, who is running against incumbent DeLay, says DeLay has forgotten the needs of the people in his district.

"He has lost touch with the people here. He is not accessible. He has forgotten about the people in District 22," Morrison says.

Morrison says, when elected, he will open offices in Fort Bend, Harris, Brazoria and Galveston counties and will visit his district every weekend to meet the people and listen to them.

Morrison also says that DeLay has opposed funding for commuter rail and his policies has made healthcare unaffordable to middle-class Americans. DeLay has not helped procure adequate funding for homeland security, even as the district has very big targets like ports, chemical plants and the Johnson Space Center.

Texas is second to last in getting homeland security funds per capita in the county and a House Majority Leader should be able to do much more than that, he says.

DeLay has also not helped the school teachers in fixing their social security problem, Morrison says.

In the Clear Lake area, residents are opposed to a proposed freight rail. DeLay is taking a neutral position on that, Morrison says, instead of lending his support to the people.

"We should not be fighting for our federal transportation dollars, when our Congressman is the House Majority Leader. We should be getting so much that others should envy us," Morrison says.

Morrison faults the Republicans' Medicare prescription plan and wants the seniors to have the freedom to import prescription drugs from Canada or Mexico. The government should bargain with pharmaceutical companies and get cheaper medicines for seniors, he says.

"Ten years ago, we agreed on the balanced budget concept. DeLay has gotten away from that. I am strongly in favor of a balanced budget amendment," Morrison says.

On federal income tax, Morrison toes the party line and says, "We have to raise the tax rate for the top 2 percent of the taxpayers." He is opposed to the nationwide sales tax or a flat tax rate. That will be a big hit on the low and middle income groups, he says.

Morrison is not excited about the recent measure adopted by the Congress to allow the deduction of sales tax in the income tax returns filed by Texans as the measure will help only those who claim itemized deductions. They are only a small percentage, he says.

DeLay should be replaced for the three admonishments given by the House Ethics Committee, Morrison says.

Morrison attends the Holy Rosary Catholic Church and plays active role in the church and with his kids in school.

On gay marriages, Morrison is opposed to amending the Constitution, defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

Marriage license should be left to the states just as the hunting license and driver license, he says.

Morrison claims the support of various teachers' groups and the 80-20 Asian Pack in the Greater Houston area.

Mike Fejtland, a former Republican who is now running as an independent, may draw a chunk of Republican votes, which may cost DeLay, Morrison says.

"Want someone in Congress who has terrorism expertise? Vote for Michael Fejtland, the only Congress candidate who has terrorism/global negotiating expertise and a focus on affordable health care and fiscal sanity," says Fejtland.

"I will represent the best interests of the entire district by focusing on positive American solutions, not partisan gamesmanship and special interests," says Fejtland, a Missouri City resident.

"I stand for the vast 70 percent majority that has been ignored by the far left and far right. In 2002, I was knocked off the GOP ballot when I challenged DeLay. A vote for me, now an independent, is a vote for democracy in America and against one-man rule," he says.

"A vote for me means a vote for teachers who were unfairly denied their pensions by Tom DeLay. I believe that helping teachers is the key to a smarter America and a better future," Fejtland says.

"About 40 percent of Republicans refused to vote for DeLay in the March 9 GOP primary. They won't vote for a Democrat, but have voted for me. Add 15 percent Democrats voting for me, I win with 55 percent," he says.

Fejtland says he will fight for affordable health care, kids, a balanced budget, and fast monorail transit to the Houston airports.

"I am for all the people of the district, regardless of party," he adds.

His qualifications include legal negotiations in over 55 countries - from China (anti-pollution equipment) to Damascus, Syria (child kidnapping case).

He has a BBA in Accounting, from UT Austin and JD with Honors from Texas Tech University . He was a member, Board of Advisors, Center of Internat ional Business Studies, Texas A&M, from 1985 to 2003.

He is a Captain in the U.S. Air Force Auxiliary (Civil Air Patrol) Mission Pilot and Homeland Security volunteer. Fejtland, with his wife and four children, attends Calvary Episcopal Church in Richmond.

DeLay rejects Morrison's charge that he had neglected his district.

"I have proven that I can serve the needs of the people of Fort Bend County. I am actively involved in procuring funds for a host of transportation projects like the U.S. 59 expansion, Highway 36 expansion, Highway 6 widening and so on," DeLay says.

"I am involved in the community as well and I help in raising funds for various charitable activities. The Rio Bend foster care project is under construction, though unfortunately it is slightly behind schedule. But, it will be completed by late spring," DeLay says.

On commuter rail, DeLay says, he has not changed his mind.

"If the project is feasible, I will support it. But, I am yet to see such a rail system, " he says.

In the case of Houston Metro, "The people have spoken. I don't feel I should oppose the will of the people," he says. This does not mean, DeLay will rubber stamp the Houston Metro projects.

"I will ask tough questions. The light rail uses 25 percent of tax dollars to move 3 percent of the people. The projections are inflated," DeLay says.

"We should take into account what kind of a rail we want, at what cost and what impact it would have on mobility. We should develop a regional mobility plan," he says.

On the proposed commuter rail for Fort Bend, he says he will support it if it is feasible. But, it is a big if, he adds.

Responding to criticism that he ignored to fund education, DeLay says he actually voted against the "No Child Left Behind Act," as he believes education should not be controlled by bureaucrats in Washington. It should be left to the local community.

Though he did not vote for it, to call the No Child Left Behind Act as a failure is a stretch, he says. It has created accountability and involvement of parents. The achievement rate is going up.

DeLay rebuts that charge that the program has been underfunded by stating that $15 billion allocated last year for the project has not yet been spent. "Why pour more money than the education system can spend?" he asks.

On the 9/11 commission report, DeLay says the House Republicans studied the report carefully and adopted the steps to strengthen the intelligence agencies.

On the House ethics probes, DeLay says "the Democrats have no agenda to lead the country and they are afraid to tell the people what they truly believe in."

"I raise money for every Republican member of the Congress and so does the Democratic leadership. The actions by the Austin District Attorney again are political and the PAC did everything within the law," he says.

Tom Morrison, a Libertarian, is also on the ballot for the Dist. 22 Congressional seat.