Toby's Liquor At 5312 West Bellfort Blvd.

I was browsing the newspaper The Bellaire Texan dated June 15, 1988 and came across this business advertisement.

Very cool! This was located on the corner of West Bellfort and Chimney Rock, with an address of 5312 West Bellfort Blvd.

Anyone have any memories of this place? How did it compare to, let's say, Spec's Liquors? How was the craft beer scene back in the late 1980s? I can imagine it was probably mainly Busch, Budweiser, or Coors.  Although, Saint Arnold's Brewery was around!

Pretty cool find!!

Toby's Liquor
5312 W. Bellfort at Chimney Rock * 723-0761

16 Gal. Bush
60 l.b. ice
100 cups
$39.99

16 Gal
Lite * Coors
or Budwiser
60 l.b. ice
100 Cups
$49.99

- Ask About Our Delivery -

vpaj8KZ.jpg

On 6/23/2023 at 6:59 PM, Highrise Tower said:

How was the craft beer scene back in the late 1980s? I can imagine it was probably mainly Busch, Budweiser, or Coors.  Although, Saint Arnold's Brewery was around!

The craft beer scene was in its infancy then. Imported beers more exotic than the usual stalwarts like Heineken and St. Pauli Girl were still a relatively new thing. I think I may have posted this before, but it remains the best overview of what the beer scene in Houston was like in the mid-to-late 1980s that I've run across:

America's First Modern Beer Bar

• Like 1