Milwaukee Another Small City Getting Commuter Rail

editor

MILWAUKEE, of all places, is talking about developing a commuter (heavy) rail system, while the mere mention boils the blood of certain congressmen representing the Houston metro area. Come on, Houston! Time to get on board! Take a giant leap into the 19th century.

Meetings scheduled for southeastern Wisconsin commuter rail plan

UNDATED (AP) - The public has a chance to get more information

about a plan to build a commuter rail system in southeastern

Wisconsin.

The Southeast Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission is holding

public meetings on the plan this week.

The plan calls for a commuter rail system to link Kenosha,

Racine and Milwaukee counties.

Commission planner Otto Dobnick (DOB'-nik) says the system would

give people more travel options. The commission is also looking

into using a bus system instead of trains.

The public meetings are scheduled for tomorrow in Kenosha,

Wednesday in Racine and Thursday in Milwaukee.

Guest Plastic

Well Kathy Wittmire was going to have rail........she was going to turn Hosuton into an international city but government stopped her. Then there was Bob Linear how faught hard against it. There were attempts before that. Infact Houston had the world's first monorail. It was experimental and ran from Downtown out Gulfgate.

Edited by Plastic

MILWAUKEE, of all places, is talking about developing a commuter (heavy) rail system, while the mere mention boils the blood of certain congressmen representing the Houston metro area. Come on, Houston! Time to get on board! Take a giant leap into the 19th century.

Good job, Milwaukee. I grew up near there and I'm happy to see they are considering rail. Amtrak has long wanted to connect Madison-Milwaukee-Chicago on a higher speed rail line but that's hit plenty of snares. Connecting Racine and Kenosha to Milwaukee would be very important, too.

As for Houston, we'll keep trying. The biggest influence on rail lines in Houston is population density, as we all know. Denser commercial and residential inside the loop (inside the beltway, truly) will dramatically increase the need for rail. Milwaukee has about twice the density of Houston. (Of course that's largely because Houston city limits know no bounds)

Well Kathy Wittmire was going to have rail........she was going to turn Hosuton into an international city but government stopped her. Then there was Bob Linear how faught hard against it. There were attempts before that. Infact Houston had the world's first monorail. It was experimental and ran from Downtown out Gulfgate.

Your posts are a constant source of amusement.

We would have rail all over town right now if it weren't for a little DELAY... :angry2:

vert.delay.jpg

I forgot about that! You're right!! Why the hell did he do that in the first place? Felt kinda betrayed

By the way, Original Timmy Chan's, why'd you choose to post that fuugly pic of Delay? Couldn't find any better? Looks like PacMan before his Extreme Makeover....

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

Guest Plastic
Good job, Milwaukee. I grew up near there and I'm happy to see they are considering rail. Amtrak has long wanted to connect Madison-Milwaukee-Chicago on a higher speed rail line but that's hit plenty of snares. Connecting Racine and Kenosha to Milwaukee would be very important, too.

As for Houston, we'll keep trying. The biggest influence on rail lines in Houston is population density, as we all know. Denser commercial and residential inside the loop (inside the beltway, truly) will dramatically increase the need for rail. Milwaukee has about twice the density of Houston. (Of course that's largely because Houston city limits know no bounds)

SO you do agree that all inside The Belt is the CBD of the town.

I may be wrong but, I will keep saying it. Lanear and all the other developers who run this city have always been against rail for the simple reason that it would get folks out of their cars. That would result in less folks being inclined to jump in their cars in drive to the strip malls that those guys develope all over the place. The last thing they want is a train going down the Katy full of commuters who can't stop at the strip mall on the way home.

The last thing they want is a train going down the Katy full of commuters who can't stop at the strip mall on the way home.

Not to mention the train passing all of those oil companies on the Katy. How would that look in the Oil capital of the world?

It has always been my opinion that Houston seemed to have lost some of it's edge with the loss of Kathy Whitmire that we still have yet to regain. I am not saying she was the best mayor in the history of the city, but she seemed to have an ability to see the "big picture" moreso than some of our more recent mayors despite how popular they were.

Because rail just doesn't appear overnight, I am a bit concerned we haven't been agressive enough on the issue, particularly on the planning of it for the future.

It looks like Milwaukee has the right idea. Wouldn't it be cool to ride the train from Milwukee down to Great America and then on to Chicago?

I may be wrong but, I will keep saying it. Lanear and all the other developers who run this city have always been against rail for the simple reason that it would get folks out of their cars.

Lanier is now pro-rail. He campaigned in support of the referendum. He justified killing it in the 90s on the basis that he needed the money to fight crime, but now is in support of rail.

CBD = Central Business District? I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm just saying that denser everything drives mass transit in every form. Kind of obvious, but oh well.

Trust me when i say kill this chain of comments right now. Plastic had an entire thread dedicated to calling everything inside of Beltway 8 the central business district. I forget what he wanted to call downtown, but either way, don't tempt him to revive that thread.

Guest Plastic

People in Katy fools? My you're getting off to a bad start.

As for rail not stoping by the oil companies the park and ride doesn't either.

WHat I think we need is 2 sets of trains. Like on The Katy Route, there's be park'n rides for downtown commuters and an express train for everone else. The park'n rides would for the certain area directly to Downtown. The express would stop at every major ighway. Infact it would be adjacent to entertainment centers.

It would start downtown and go to The Marquee Entertainment center at 610 nd I-10. Then go to a new center that I'm hoping willl get built at I-10 and TheBelt. Then go to another new center at HWY 9 and I-10,and then finally go to Katy Mills Mall. There'd be transit centers at each stop for commuters to catch smaller buses or change trains.

Well in Houston's defense, Milwaukee's commuter rail is basically an extension of the Chicago Metra commuter rail--and that already goes into Kenosha, WI.

I rode the whole hour and a half trip from downtown Chicago to Kenosha and heard this little kid reciting his phone number with his parents over and over and OVER. Bad experience. The kid looks at the route map as says "We go to this and then this and this and then thiiiiiis, and then home" Home was I think Waukegan for the little guy, thankfully.

At least Houston does have the one light rail line in place now.

Milwaukee probably isn't the best place to use an example if you want to promote commuter rail. Several years ago they started a commuter rail line from the west, to coincide with the major reconstruction of I-94. It was a failure and was discontinued.

I find myself paralyzed by laughter after reading this thread. My sides hurt.

hell yeah!!

I don't know if Houston and Milwaukee are comparable because of the space Houston would have to cover to accomodate everyone. Commuter rail makes sense to me for Milwaukee. Houston needs it, but it should have been started a LONG time ago.

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

Amtrak has gotten most of its wish. The Milwaukee-Chicago run has 14 trains a day, and it's only 20 bucks each way. Amtrak even got a new station at the Milwaukee airport so people from Chicago can get cheap Midwest Airlines flights without having to drive.

• 2 weeks later...
That can't be right, Metro doesn't runout of Harris COunty.

From the Metro website:

Cities within the METRO area include Houston, Bellaire, Bunker Hill Village, El Lago, Hedwig Village, Hilshire Village, Humble, Hunters Creek, Katy, Missouri City, Piney Point, Southside Place, Spring Valley, Taylor Lake Village and West University Place. Major portions of unincorporated Harris County are also included.