Frangiones Purple Cow Restaurant At 7618 Hillcroft Ave.

enviromain

Anybody remember the JMH and Eagle grocery stores on the North and South sides of Bissonnet near its intersection with Renwick? We're talking late 50s for JMH to early 70s for Eagle. Sacco's came sometime inbetween. "Mr. Sam" Sacco was always there to meet and greet. Used to take in the Monterrey House near Shipley's in the late 60s to mid 70s. Four Seas Chinese restaurant south of Beechnut and Hillcroft near the Jack in the Box was also a haunt later on in the 70s and early 80s. The Chuck Wagon on Beechnut and Bissonnet had competition for a while with another one ( before the Mc Donalds took over the site) located just north of Holy Ghost Church and School on Bellaire. Also a Mr. Hamburger on Bissonnet just west of Chimney Rock added further variety to burger gallery in the area. :rolleyes:

Mr. Hamburger--now that was a classic! Man I wish someone had a picture of it--you know there's gotta be one in someone's attic somewhere!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

I LOVE THIS THREAD.  I am almost crying with fond memories of all the places mentioned above on previous threads. The purple cow was just a wonderful place...and don't forget their Taco's!!.  They were delicious too. 

Bay Land Park and the DITCH and the Ball Fields.  The large area us kids walked or rode bikes to have fun and meet up with friends could not be done in today society.  As long as we were home by the time the street lamps turned on...all was good.

To eat a Shipley's donut from the bissonnet was heaven on earth.  To be greeted by Mr. Sam at Sacco's.  What about shopping at Wacker's, Globe or Gemco.  As the years have passed sometimes I have wondered if I have made up these memories but seeing all these posting from others just brings a warm smile to my face knowing I was part of that decade.  Houston will always have a special place in my heart.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 2/23/2006 at 7:56 AM, roym said:

Yes, there is a Purple Cow on the Bluewater Highway in Surfside. Go south on 332 and turn left at the Bluewater Highway. It's just on the right. Can't miss it - building is purple.

Never been there - and don't know if it's the same folks.

I don't think they are the same people at all.   Plus The Purple Cow had to rebuild after a hurricane .... doesn't look the same.   Still great burgers 

On 2/23/2006 at 7:56 AM,  roym said: 

Yes, there is a Purple Cow on the Bluewater Highway in Surfside. Go south on 332 and turn left at the Bluewater Highway. It's just on the right. Can't miss it - building is purple.

Never been there - and don't know if it's the same folks.

I don't think they are the same people at all.   Plus The Purple Cow had to rebuild after a hurricane .... doesn't look the same.   Still great burgers 

Yes there is a Purple Cow hamburger joint in SurSide Beach!

Yes you got the GREATEST hamburgers there!

but alas........it got tough rebuilding and running after Miss Kitty died.......it was sold last month..........not sure what type of food will be served.

It’s a pity, as there is a surge in rebuilding going on there and those workman would have appreciated those hamburgers.

Edit:

tJaUStD.jpg

• The title was changed to Frangiones Purple Cow Restaurant At 7618 Hillcroft Ave.